It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE Flat Earth thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Blueracer
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't know about the worst. Have you heard of the Mandela Effect? Both are pretty bad though.

I vote it second beat.
It has this clause about time lines that effectively makes it impossible to disprove.....
But then, they can't prove it is real either.

What are your most interesting conspiracy theories? I bet I can shoot them down. Don;t make fun of mine.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

a reply to: leastofthese

Yeah, that's the ticket. A flat earth thread!

It has been done to death, considering that it is THE worst conspiracy theory ever, IMHO.

When I post about chemreails, I am told the same. Let him present something. We'll see.

Or, I could present something:
windows2theuniverse

Eratosthenes was a Greek astronomer in ancient times. Around 240 B.C. he made the first good measurement of the size of the Earth. How did he do that?
Eratosthenes used the lengths of shadows to figure out how high in the sky the Sun was in a certain place on a certain day. He knew of another place where there was no shadow at all on the same day. That meant the Sun was straight overhead. He found out the distance between the two places, then used some geometry to figure out the rest. Let's take a closer look!
Eratosthenes lived in the city of Alexandria. Alexandria is in northern Egypt. It is by the Nile River and the Mediterranean Sea. There was a tall tower in Alexandria. Eratosthenes measured the length of the tower's shadow on the Summer Solstice. He used that information plus some geometry to figure out the angle between the Sun and straight up.
There was a town in southern Egypt called Syene. There was a well in Syene. On the Summer Solstice, the Sun shone straight down the well to the very bottom. That meant the Sun must be straight overhead.
Eratosthenes had someone measure the distance between Alexandria and Syene. He used that distance, what he knew about the Sun's angles, and a bit of geometry to figure out the size of the Earth.
We aren't quite sure what answer Eratosthenes came up with, though. The distance between Alexandria and Syene was measured in stadia. The stadion was a distance unit that was often used in ancient times. However, not everybody used a stadion of the same length. If Eratosthenes used one length for the stadion, his answer was really, really good. The Earth is about 40 thousand kilometers (about 24,860 miles) around. The measurement that Eratosthenes made might have been within about 1% of this. That would be amazing! However, he might have used a different length stadion. If that is true, his answer was off by about 16%. That is still pretty good!

Humans have known that the Earth is round for a long time... long enough that Eratosthenes could figure out the circumference, in 240BC.

And there is your wall of text from Eratosthenes. Smart guy. but do we know he was right?

A lot of us understand the principle that he used.
Not all of us, but a lot.
It is explained right there in that wall of text, interestingly enough.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

It has been done to death, considering that it is THE worst conspiracy theory ever, IMHO.

When I post about chemreails, I am told the same. Let him present something. We'll see.

windows2theuniverse

Eratosthenes was a Greek astronomer in ancient times. Around 240 B.C. he made the first good measurement of the size of the Earth. How did he do that?
Eratosthenes used the lengths of shadows to figure out how high in the sky the Sun was in a certain place on a certain day. He knew of another place where there was no shadow at all on the same day. That meant the Sun was straight overhead. He found out the distance between the two places, then used some geometry to figure out the rest. Let's take a closer look!
Eratosthenes lived in the city of Alexandria. Alexandria is in northern Egypt. It is by the Nile River and the Mediterranean Sea. There was a tall tower in Alexandria. Eratosthenes measured the length of the tower's shadow on the Summer Solstice. He used that information plus some geometry to figure out the angle between the Sun and straight up.
There was a town in southern Egypt called Syene. There was a well in Syene. On the Summer Solstice, the Sun shone straight down the well to the very bottom. That meant the Sun must be straight overhead.
Eratosthenes had someone measure the distance between Alexandria and Syene. He used that distance, what he knew about the Sun's angles, and a bit of geometry to figure out the size of the Earth.
We aren't quite sure what answer Eratosthenes came up with, though. The distance between Alexandria and Syene was measured in stadia. The stadion was a distance unit that was often used in ancient times. However, not everybody used a stadion of the same length. If Eratosthenes used one length for the stadion, his answer was really, really good. The Earth is about 40 thousand kilometers (about 24,860 miles) around. The measurement that Eratosthenes made might have been within about 1% of this. That would be amazing! However, he might have used a different length stadion. If that is true, his answer was off by about 16%. That is still pretty good!

Humans have known that the Earth is round for a long time... long enough that Eratosthenes could figure out the circumference, in 240BC.

And there is your wall of text from Eratosthenes. Smart guy. but do we know he was right?

Yes.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I like Hitler dint die in ww2 and Paul is dead ones

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

windows2theuniverse

Maybe I have to brush up on the Greek scholars. Again, In asked you what your favorite conspiracy theories are?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is conspiracy-thinking in overdrive and highlights the reason it's either probably already in the DSM or will be eventually. And when that day comes, ATS will be known as a center for mental illness treatment. Bhaha, it's a pity it requires a thread such as this to remind us of our degeneracy.

I think it's a fight or flight stress response. Maybe people who do this have higher anxiety levels than the normal population, resulting in them being more paranoid and more likely to attach meaning to noise. It's all an attempt to survive threats. And maybe they're obsessive or compulsive somewhat, which further enables them to find and latch onto otherwise unrelated data.
edit on 5/26/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: reldra

I like Hitler dint die in ww2 and Paul is dead ones

Well, as long as it doesn;t show any like of Hitler or like of his plans, you should make a thread on that. I would love to read it. Good one. And about Paul McCartney, sure. Very good too.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
This is conspiracy-thinking in overdrive and highlights the reason it's either probably already in the DSM or will be eventually. And when that day comes, ATS will be known as a center for mental illness treatment. Bhaha, it's a pity it requires a thread such as this to remind us our degeneracy.

This is actually a site to discuss conspiracy theories. Would be helpful if you picked one. I am not actually sure why you are here if you have no interest in them.
edit on 26-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
If we all agree that the Earth is flat can you guys stop posting these threads. I'm game, I'll make that deal right now.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

windows2theuniverse

Yes.

How?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
If we all agree that the Earth is flat can you guys stop posting these threads. I'm game, I'll make that deal right now.

Even if ever y person in the thread answered with 'aye' at this moment, another thread about this will come along.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Eric Dubay??? How wonderful. This guy is so entertaining. I have been waiting for a flat earth thread though. This should be funny.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

So you get 11 flags and 8 stars for saying the earth is flat and providing zero evidence for this claim? I'm flabbergasted.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: jacygirl

Eric Dubay??? How wonderful. This guy is so entertaining. I have been waiting for a flat earth thread though. This should be funny.

Well, the flat earth thread came. You see the Dubay video. I understand he makes a lot of videos about this. You should debate it.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The guy on that video is an utter moron.
I guess I need to go tell my son we can't play catch anymore. If I throw it to him facing west it will kill him and if he's facing east it won't ever reach him.

He's gonna be so disappointed.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

windows2theuniverse

Maybe I have to brush up on the Greek scholars. Again, In asked you what your favorite conspiracy theories are?

Sorry.
I like cryptozoology and UFO threads. Although there is scant evidence for aliens or bigfoot, there are credible witnesses to seeing both.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Even if ever y person in the thread answered with 'aye' at this moment, another thread about this will come along.

It saddens me that your correct.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Patiently waits for the data the op has promised us .

Meanwhile, remember this flight back in 1986? Flying around the world.

The Rutan Model 76 Voyager was the first aircraft to fly around the world without stopping or refueling. It was piloted by Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager. The flight took off from Edwards Air Force Base's 15,000 foot (4,600 m) long runway in the Mojave Desert on December 14, 1986, and ended 9 days, 3 minutes and 44 seconds later on December 23, setting a flight endurance record. The aircraft flew westerly 26,366 statute miles (42,432 km; the FAI accredited distance is 40,212 km)[1] at an average altitude of 11,000 feet (3,350 m). This broke a previous flight distance record set by a United States Air Force crew piloting a Boeing B-52 that flew 12,532 miles (20,168 km) in 1962.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

windows2theuniverse

Sorry.
I like cryptozoology and UFO threads. Although there is scant evidence for aliens or bigfoot, there are credible witnesses to seeing both.

People like the bigfoot threads. Try to find a news aggregator for UFO threads.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The guy on that video is an utter moron.
I guess I need to go tell my son we can't play catch anymore. If I throw it to him facing west it will kill him and if he's facing east it won't ever reach him.

He's gonna be so disappointed.

That doesn;t help and you know it won;t stop you plaing catch with your son.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join