It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS=Depression - just reading the title threads changes a persons outlook/attitude towards life.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
i do like some of the topics and there is alot of info thats here but the majority is still depressing just the titles are like oh no the whole world is gone to # and i cant do crap about it except watch it burn from afar.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit
Isn't there a bit of irony in your OP? Is this a test to see if anyone will notice that your chosen name is "The Jesuit"?

Most of us know the stereotypical view of what the Jesuits are about. Infiltration, subterfuge, secrecy, etc. Stereotypically, the Jesuits have had their fingers in a lot of pies, in the past and the present. They've probably been involved in much of the news we read at ATS.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Your name, TheJesuit...

Do you not see the value in bearing witness? Does it not fan your determination to do right by your neighbour, when you see the world burning? For people of faith, chaos only means an opportunity to make a difference that will be felt by many, rather than a few. We thrive on it, we consume it and excrete small moments of grace by digesting that chaos, turning its energy in on itself to produce positive things while the malestrom breaks about our shoulders.

There is nothing to fear, only something to strive for. The more the darkness encroaches, the greater the will to do good things, and to see bright things triumph over that on rushing tide of shadows.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoxFulder
a reply to: and14263

But it's a forum where you can literally write about anything, if you have a problem with the topics then start an interesting thread.

Ok thanks for the advice.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
When I was recuperating from some server injuries I sustained, I over dosed on conspiracy theories. I had indulged in DVDs, talk radio, and numerous websites until I feared the changes I saw in myself. I put up a thread here and there were many members who actually helped me through that period. Here is a link . . .

Diving Down the Rabbit Hole Has Changed Me

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
Has any one noticed that after reading some of the topics here on ATS after a while (3-4 months+-) it becomes depressing and the out look on life that before was upbeat, bright and positive becomes doom and gloom and just #ty to say the least. The majority of the topics are depressing and glum. it really saps any motivation to keep positive about moving forward in life...

Not me, not at all....but I've definitely heard of this. Not from ATS specifically, but from people who go down the 'rabbit hole' of conspiracy theories, and fringe ideology.

Honestly though, you have to ask yourself, which comes first, the chicken or the egg. Is a person disillusioned with reality, and thus starts a search for meaning? If that is the case, I can see how it can easily lead them astray, and they get lost in a sea of confusion, rage, anger, etc, etc.

It is important to find LOVE in your life. It is important also to see where you are emotionally. Emotional health is JUST as, if not MORE important than physical health. Mental health is equally important.

When you are mentally stable, you are able to take in information from various sources, and use it as just that - information. You take it with a grain of salt. If you emotionally unstable or unbalanced, or suffer from mental agitation or worse, mental illness....then you have to be REALLY careful of the things you do - including how you spend your time and what web-sites you visit.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
i do like some of the topics and there is alot of info thats here but the majority is still depressing just the titles are like oh no the whole world is gone to # and i cant do crap about it except watch it burn from afar.

Honestly though, it isn't about the threads, or their titles, it is about YOU.

Obviously you are drifting down the rabbit hole, and there is something inside of you that is reacting to these end of the world type threads.

Do you feel the world is ending? Closing in on you? Do you think the future looks bleak?

Honestly, things are exactly as they should be....but when you at the bottom of the hill, or still climbing the hill, and you can't see the light of the Sun, it is hard to perceive that.

Things are wonderful here on earth, and humanity is doing AMAZING things. As for the painful aspects of life....the disharmony, the disease, the death, the pain , the problems, etc....this has ALWAYS been part of our reality....and it is a necessity. Without it, we wouldn't learn, we wouldn't grow.

Find inner peace, calm the storm inside yourself, and whatever happens in the external world will be of little consequence!

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
What I find a bit depressing about ATS (been a long time reader, rather than poster/commenter) is how it swung to the right and how difficult many members seem to find it to bring up some basic respect and decency when interacting with others. More in general though, I think it's best if you, OP, take a break and re-focus on yourself and positive stuff again. For instance, I can sometimes get really tired of the news where it's just all frustration and ''why do they do that! Idiots!"' while I can't do a damn thing about it. When I feel that frustration creeping up, I just take distance from all the toxic stuff and focus on the things that are right here and now and that make me happy and are constructive.

Over the last ~2 years or so, ATS seems to have become more about social issues and politics than about conspiracy-related stuff which probably means that a lot of thread titles are heavily loaded with a person's opinion and/or negativity. I can imagine very well that it takes somewhat of a toll on you- I find too many opinions tiring, too. You know, the ''noise'' of what's Super Important this week. I hope you manage to deal with this well and feel better soon!

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thank you for the words of support i suppose i need to find a few websites that are positive or uplifting in nature to offset the doom and gloom of ATS i have seen a change in the topics i guess it is an election year too.

Any suggestions on some positive uplifting websites i might browse??

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Try www.reddit.com... perhaps, as a start?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

im a big believer of positive thinking bud and think that the warnings on ciggie packs are designed to kill us early or make us dependent on big pharma, the whole law of attraction, negative stuff is all around us, but yes i totally agree with you, i dont want to know about peoples tumors everytime i log in.
we need to guard our thoughts when we read this stuff as we are very susceptible to these things, affirmations help.

its just how a placebo works, it works both ways.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ExoticSpaceTiger

ok ive just wasted about 4-5 hours on reddit send me more links please its not as doom and gloom as here.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Not depression.

Despair.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join