It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I quit drinking today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Big congrats. It isnt a difficult road and you will make it easily.

I have quit all forms of alcohol. I love it.

And just to say, not everyone who quits, has to have a problem associated with it. I just did because I wanted to. And that is it in a nutshell.

Have fun, enjoy sobriety, and as you get older and start seeing your freinds get dui's, or worse, get divorces, lose jobs, get sick,... or die, you will look back at this day and thank god you did quit when you did.

edit on 19-5-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
They must be screening my post. Dont know why my last reply didnt get posted. Maybe my reply will post, maybe not. If it doesnt, I have the worlds smallest violin over here. I cant help it that you were weak minded and undisciplined.

******Unless you were in the military and saw things that I will never see********** If that's the case, then everything i have typed doesnt count. PTSD is real, it's bad, and the demons that come from it are enough to make anybody an alcoholic.
edit on 19-5-2016 by crusadors because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I just hit 1 and a half years without a drink. Best thing I ever did. It gets easier, but the craving does pop back time to time. My advice is to not think about not drinking in the future and only concentrate on not drinking in the moment.

And think of all the money you will save!! And ... No more hangovers or waking up with regret and or guilt about something stupid you may have done!

It is nice to not be a slave to the booze anymore too.
My other saving grace is polar brand seltzer in the can. Cheap, no sugar, but hits the spot.

Good luck to you

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: crusadors
They must be screening my post. Dont know why my last reply didnt get posted. Maybe my reply will post, maybe not. If it doesnt, I have the worlds smallest violin over here. I cant help it that you were weak minded and undisciplined.

******Unless you were in the military and saw things that I will never see********** If that's the case, then everything i have typed doesnt count. PTSD is real, it's bad, and the demons that come from it are enough to make anybody an alcoholic.
Not sure if this is directed at OP or other poster but, many people deal with life in different ways and everybody has different body chemistry.
Some people can drink a little and feel fine, some people feel they have to drink and that is because of a body chemistry that inclines them to alcohol addiction. Some people need to drink and function in life and some people who drink, function poorly and become obnoxious.
Many folks deal with loss, stress or abuse at different levels and may or may not drink because of those reasons. I don't think that only people with the diagnosis of PTSD get the ''your okay to drink'' many people have emotional and or mental issues that is not PTSD and drink.... you don't know what they have been through.
The OP didn't even say he has a problem drinking, simply that he doesn't feel like it anymore.
Being mean for meanness sake... for pete's sake... have smile from me.😊

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: crusadors
Im so sorry for you.......meh........lack of discipline. Man up and control your demons. You blaming the drinking on the drinking is bullcrap. You have a problem that you have to overcome. Train yourself to moderation. Take responsibility for your actions. You dont have to come on a forum and post this. Everybody who drinks socially has to deal with the responsibilities of drinking. You sir, let it go too far because you have no control or discipline.

After I stopped, I found I was recipient of alot of what I quoted.

I have been told, common, just one with us. I have been called a wussy, but more profane. I have been called antisocial because I went out to eat with freinds and had a soda instead.

But freinds dont do that to you.
Misery loves company.

So you will find that some folks you arent inclined to hang out with anymore.

And then there are those that feel they have to be "sensitive" and they hide their drinking around you.

Sad really. Doesnt have to be that way.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

Dang, you're extra lucky to have simply been turned off enough by it to stop. Best wishes to you.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: crusadors

You seem to have it all figured out. So, to recap: only ex-military personnel have real issues with alcohol? Is it that everybody else is weak-minded and undisciplined, or are there exceptions?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Well it's not serving me anymore. Like I'm really not enjoying it anymore. So I started sorta wondering "why am I doing this if I don't like it or enjoy it anymore?".....so I started thinking that it really isn't worth it. Also I calculated conservatively that I've probably spent at least 10k on alcohol over the last 24yrs. Which is how long I've been drinking. Started in my teens. So really that's a sizeable amount. But ya I'm not an alcoholic like I probably only drink about twice a week. But again, just nothing there anymore. So why bother. That's not to mention all the other stuff like impacts on my Heath , wallet , social circle etc etc. I'm just so done. I know for a fact these monthly trips to the liquor store are over with. I couldn't be caught dead there anymore. Like I said I poured everything down the drain I'm done.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Good for you. Do you smoke also because I have lost several friends who both drank and smoked heavily - not enough to stop them working etc but enough to affect their health.

I find now I have to be in the mood for a drink and have never been a habitually heavy drinker however I do sometimes find that it seems to hurt my stomach if its spirits, so I just switch to something soft. Its not often but its like a warning. We do have a glass of wine oddly not so much when eating but when in the kitchen preparing dinner, its like a shutting off the world time and relaxing.

I do think though that when you drink if you have a good frame of mind its better.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I stopped drinking in weekdays, it was effecting my life and my get up and go. I now have a limited drink on a Friday and possibly a Saturday with my partner, nothing heavy either. (my weekends are friday and saturday)

Self control is the key, if you can limit and reduce your alcohol intake, then there should be no reason to give it up for good.

Hope you find it as easy as I did mate, good luck and keep your chin always up.

edit on 5-19-2016 by skyblueworld because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

knowledge is knowing what to say, and wisdom is knowing when to say it.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Alcohol is my great poison. I avoid it like the plague.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I am a recovering alcoholic of 11 years and I still crave the stuff almost daily. I too got to the point of questioning why I kept drinking. The fun was gone, it was more like a chore instead of enjoyable. I kept having dreams about dying and my liver failing, I knew I had to stop. Each day is a fight, but I know if I ever drank again I would not stop. I wish I could have just gotten bored with drinking and said enough. Unfortunately, I had to almost hit rock bottom before I found the willpower.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Maybe your posts will be less about poopbuckets now?

Big step, good for you, Feel better and be kind to yourself.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

I hope not. We need to maintain a certain level of cra-cra around here otherwise we lose our Federal funding.

edit on 19-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer becasue he left it in the ladies room

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Mom...is that you?

[/extreme sarcasm]

Feeling a little holier than thou, are we?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Giving up is for quitters. I'm disappointed .

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You big quitter OP! You should never quit!

Ok in all seriousness...props to you if you have came to the understanding you may have a problem. It may be a tough battle but remember...it's all mental. If you can control the mental aspect of it then you will breeze right thru it. I know, easier said than done.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I think the op suggested it wasnt about a problem, but a decision instead.

One important thing to remember is alcohol is a very addictive depressant. It doesnt relate to this thread, but it most certainly isn't all "mental". Alcoholism is a benefacto disease. Again, not for the op, but worth mentioning.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Big step, good for you, Feel better and be kind to yourself.

That's very highbrow of you

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join