It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Little Kids Use Self-Driving Cars Unaccompanied?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You're probably right. Though I thought most (or all) subway trains still have at least 1 driver.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

So it used to be back in the day. You would tell your parents, "I'm going out to play". And your mom or dad would say, "Fine. Be back by sundown." And you would be home by sundown.

Exactly.

Come home when the street-lights come on.

We had bike routes and threw papers...we walked half a mile to school......
it was normal.

I remember at 10 years old, being sent for hamburger to the grocery store 5 blocks away. When I asked my mom how I would know if it was a pound, she described the label to me....

in the lower left corner, you'll see a number that tells you how much it is. You want 1.00 or close to it.

I think about that every time I buy meat!!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

At the moment, the age-limit is enforced by the under-age driver being in trouble if he gets found out (stopped by police, involved in an accident). They might just make do with that until something else could be devised.

Right.
So, what would that device be?
I was thinking retinal, fingerprint, voice, some sort of lock.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

It is truly a fun and challenging topic, I think.
Thanks for being here -

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Okay, so - Mr W got overwhelmed, and he has left the party.
Sorry.

Anyway - I'm still getting caught up, but I think this is a fun conversation.
(He said, "Why do you need to respond to all of them?" And I said, "Honey, I know these people, and you were the one that threw this party - I'm keeping up with our guests....I'm not going to just ignore them!")

It's not just fun, of course - because at this rate we'll need to be thinking about these very things......

(he just didn't realize so many people I knew would show up!).

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hey guys, sorry - I have to duck out - looking forward to seeing what you all have to say when I get back later.
Just to let you know. I will respond to everyone who's posted so far.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Mr Wigs and I are talking about self-driving cars....
and all of the pros and cons and pipe-dream discussions about their future.

He asked me to post a thread about an issue that he (and now, after looking, nor I) can find anyone is talking about.

Is there any ongoing conversation about how young a person can be, how the car would know, or what sort of ID or programming or license?

Who would make those decisions, and what if anything is the public saying?

Yes, I did an ATS search, and also a Google search -
didn't find anything.

So - he wants to know you guys' opinions about different scenarios involving minors using or being allowed to use them, and what do you guys think should or might happen?

Where do we draw the line?

Well, since they have bar codes on licenses these days, I'd guess that a system that could scan the license, inside the car,could be used. Plus, I'd guess that a self-driving car would require some sort of programming, and a need to enter a desired route, which isn't something a child too small would be able to do, in most cases. For a really clever child, of course, that could be managed, and such could steal a license. Overall, though, such safeguards would cover most cases.

My issue is, I'd want KITT.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I put a hidden switch in under the dash , that interrupted the circuit to the ignition. The starter turns and everything works but the engine wont start, they keep trying till the battery goes down, and then give up. By the time you come back the battery has picked up enough to start it. Bit of a practical joke on any car thief but it works.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm guessing here:

KITT

Kids In Transit something?

I don't see how that could ever go away, actually.
I think as far ahead as possible about this scenario - and the bottom line for me is that a "computer" can be hacked. I would never trust a 'driverless' car to be loyal to my commands or destinations, let alone entrust my kids to them.

At least a cabbie or an Uber driver or bus driver or train engineer is accountable to others!!!

A machine gone rogue? What's it been --- 10?15? years since the movie I, Robot?

I would have a really hard time accepting that - just like I stubbornly held on to my boat, and my horses, and even though I was pressured to let them go - my books.

I won't ever give up my books.
One day, long-abandoned personal libraries will take the place of "digital" stuff -
I think it's really arrogant for humans to think we don't need 'hard copy' anymore.
Preposterous, actually.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What if little Johnny has to use the bathroom en route?

What if little Timmy decides to hack the car route data and go "to Disneyland" mid-route?

What if little Jessica has a diabetic condition and goes into insulin shock mid-transit without an adult to administer her insulin?

I can think of over a million and one ways these "self driving cars" outside of a gated community or boundary town proximity are an absolutely stupid, stupid STUPID idea.

But you know, no one is interested in listening because "OOOOOOH SHINY TECHNOLOGY".

And they call me the delusional one.

*humph*

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I can think of over a million and one ways these "self driving cars" outside of a gated community or boundary town proximity are an absolutely stupid, stupid STUPID idea.

But you know, no one is interested in listening because "OOOOOOH SHINY TECHNOLOGY".

And they call me the delusional one.

*humph*

But, but - dude-----

WAIT! That's exactly what I said to Mr Wigs!
I said it's a pipe-dream that will never, ever become reality.
It's a bunch of educated Boomers emulated The Jestons, and Star Trek, and Lost In Space ----

but the practical, grownup issues will never go away.

Still - it was fun to think about as a purely hypothetical thing (considering there is actually web traffic tracking the still-nebulous idea).

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Sorry Buzzywigs, I speed read sometimes and must have missed your input in haste to post. My apologies, sincerest and earnestly. I didn't mean to be a Commando Buzzkill. My fault entirely.

I mean, conceptually it could work.....if the cars are limited to small towns and communities wherein all things are closely located for convenience. Kind of like how Disneyworld has a couple of lots allocated for Imagineers and their families who live and work on-site. Gated communities? Small techy towns? Sure. Such things would be no problem hunky dory and probably work out just fine as the entire town/community is all on the same page.

But when they start talking about common usage for everyone on Interstates and such automation crossing State lines...yeah, there's gonna be problems. With that last example, who is to say a drug dealer wouldn't have a "dispos-a-car" just to run drugs across various State lines? Heck, throw the kid in there as a diversion. I've seen and heard things out there done under the banner of criminal enterprise that would blow some folks minds.

In appropriate context, it could work....but someone (as has been previously stated) somewhere will mess it up for everyone. Even if it's just some basement swelling sociopath hacking into the GPS datagrid for a little "fun" or more nefarious operators with murder on their mind.

Maybe one day....maybe but the majority of the small tech savvy towns already out there....most people prefer walking, bicycles and skateboards for their destinations.

The only self-driving cars I see of value are bait cars that drive would-be thieves directly to the nearest Police Station after locking them in, turning on the internal cameras and speakers and letting them know they are under arrest for attempted theft.

Heck, we could test run in Detroit.
It'll be a real life Robocop Omnicorp Operation.

Yay technology.
Now.
About those Terminators....

edit on 5/18/16 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

But when they start talking about common usage for everyone on Interstates and such automation crossing State lines...yeah, there's gonna be problems. With that last example, who is to say a drug dealer would have a "dispos-a-car" just to run drugs across various State lines? Heck, throw the kid in there as a diversion. I've seen and heard things out there done under the banner of criminal enterprise that would blow some folks minds.

Exactly.

Thanks very much for addressing the issue from a serious perspective. It's fun to imagine and brainstorm and all - but in reality, it will be a very serious subject.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Im sure the cars will have an override where the "driver" can drive in case of an emergency.

Knowing this, there should exist someone in the car at all times that is capable of driving the car.

Therefore we can just use existing laws with a few minor tweaks.

IMHO

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

See, the "minor tweaks" are really pretty substantial though.

If you think it through.

And that's even ignoring obvious the pun of it ("minor tweaks"....lol!) - because lots of those 'tweaks' are going to be based on whether or not 'minors' can participate. And they'll probably be major tweaks well before the product goes to market.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm guessing here:

KITT

Kids In Transit something?

Oh, my, no! In this case, KITT is the car from the old [i]Knight Rider[/i] television series! Arguably one of the coolest characters, ever. KITT, I's trust to drive! Not so sure about the average car, lol!

I don't see how that could ever go away, actually.
I think as far ahead as possible about this scenario - and the bottom line for me is that a "computer" can be hacked. I would never trust a 'driverless' car to be loyal to my commands or destinations, let alone entrust my kids to them.

At least a cabbie or an Uber driver or bus driver or train engineer is accountable to others!!![/qupte]

I wouldn't trust mine to either one! Not alone. hacking wold be a huge concern for a driverless car, I agree! I can see the plots for movies and tv shows already.

A machine gone rogue? What's it been --- 10?15? years since the movie I, Robot?

They do it all the time, yet the "experts" still want to push the stuff on us. We can't even keep hackers off the internet, and they want to trust them not to get into cars? Or, the cars to behave? Somewhere, HAL is waiting.

I would have a really hard time accepting that - just like I stubbornly held on to my boat, and my horses, and even though I was pressured to let them go - my books.

I won't ever give up my books.
One day, long-abandoned personal libraries will take the place of "digital" stuff -
I think it's really arrogant for humans to think we don't need 'hard copy' anymore.
Preposterous, actually.

Right there with you!! I will never, EVER, give up my books! Years ago, they were saying book sowuld be gone, but they are still around. I flat don't WANT to look at a lighted screen, to read before sleeping! It would not be good for sleep, first, and I want the book. Then again, I made the kids all learn to tell time on REAL clocks, too, not just these digital things.
New isn't always better.

Besides which, I LOVE to drive! Being driven wold get old, fast.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join