It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Little Kids Use Self-Driving Cars Unaccompanied?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Oh my, wouldn't this be great!!?

No more stains in the upholstery, no more back seat bs, if you're in need of a sanity break you can pile them in and set the trip mode for multiple loops!!

No more "are WE there yet?" Instead, you can program the car to ask THEM over and over again, "are YOU there yet?" (...this would work best when combined with the multiple loop mode...--WIN!!).

You won't take a nap, huh?
Well, we all know cars knock kids out so there's another bonus! So, again pile them in and set the trip mode to nap time with "a no return until they're asleep" clause!!

My mind is racing with the possibilities and mode selections!

Can't wait to tell them, "your car is filthy, GO CLEAN YOUR CAR OR ELSE!"

"Time-outs" would take on a whole new meaning as the term would be changed to "Time-away". This would revolutionize parenting across the board!

Can anyone think of any others? I don't want to be an 'idea hog' about this.. . Just let it out.. there are no wrong answers, just solutions!!

edit on 18-5-2016 by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

This is what I'm thinking.

Mr W says at least there would be a webcam transmitting closed circuit tv.......
like 'big brother' OnStar.

Like a full-size RC car when parents are working the controls --

or, a system monitoring app -

a way for parents to track it and watch; or there's a 3rd party who can monitor it and let the parents know.....

(end of transmission from Mr W)

This is my opinion (he keeps coming up with creative ways of saying it): Of course that would have to be in place, but who would have final responsibility?

Is this a robotically controlled system like an auto-shut-down in case of malfunction or unexpected behavior? Or is there a person somewhere watching the whole thing??

I'd be worried that someone could hijack the system, and then my kid is gone.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

LOL!!! Isn't it fun??

We should all collaborate on a screenplay, and it would be a huge hit!!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The DOT is developing policy on automated vehicles. Mostly for how they can be safely tested but with some mention of actual usage.

Should a state nevertheless decide to permit such non-testing operation of self-driving vehicles, at a minimum the state should require that a properly licensed driver (i.e., one licensed to drive self-driving vehicles) be seated in the driver’s seat and be available at all times in order to operate the vehicle in situations in which the automated technology is not able to safely control the vehicle.

orfe.princeton.edu...

Sure, but what about after, say 25 years (an arbitrary number of years) of driverless cars being commonplace? When driverless cars are ubiquitous, why would any of the passengers of a driverless car need to be licensed drivers?

Why not, as Mr. and Mrs. BuzzyWigs asks, sometime in the future have a 10 year-old alone in a driverless car destined for Grandma's house?

Granted, there would be safety issues if the car broke down and the kid was left all alone on the side of the road, but that would be separate from a "proper operation of the vehicle" issue, since future driverless vehicle passengers would conceivably not need to know how to operate the vehicle.

edit on 2016-5-18 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

i,m pretty sure even a driverless car you would still need to be aged in the first place and still have to have a license.

That would seem obvious....but we are talking about little kids having access.....about the eventual gadgetry, technology, security, and accessibility AUTOMATION.

Mr Wigs responds:
If the "car" is the registered 'driver', and the passenger is just a passenger - just like riding in a cab or bus or plane -
who's in charge? Who's the pilot?

edit on 5/18/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Hey!! I like your thinking buzzy! LOL!

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The DOT is developing policy on automated vehicles. Mostly for how they can be safely tested but with some mention of actual usage.

Yes, the DOT is talking about those things.
Mr W and I (and the rest of our guests here) are talking about usage ideas.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I am of the opinion that minors and youths below the legal age at which one could currently get a drivers permit, should be prohibited from using such a vehicle as you describe, without an adult physically present in the vehicle.

For a start, autonomous vehicles are not any more invincible than regular automobiles. They will still crash if something dangerous happens faster than the onboard systems can react to it. A road or bridge collapse, a gas main explosion, any external threat which occurs without warning could still cause the vehicle, and its occupants, to be in harms way. Leaving a child with little to no experience of the world, alone to face such things as might still threaten their safety while in the vehicle, would be utterly irresponsible.

Also, a vehicle cannot watch the child enter the intended destination point for the trip. Using such a vehicle on the school run, for example, would be ridiculous, because no child worth a drip of snot is going to run directly through the gates of the indoctrination establishment their parents have elected to send them to, unless supervised, in person, by at least one of their parents. They will instead go off and actually learn something about the world outside their homes, beyond their entertainment systems, something which was not force fed them since they were babies. Put another way, that is asking for truancy problems, kids roaming in places where they are not necessarily safe, and thousands of hours of worry for the parents, not to mention thousands upon thousands of hours of wasted police time in tracking down and seeing after the safety of such children as decide that they know a better place to be, than wherever they were dropped off.

Also, some children get car sick, no matter what the particular talents of the individual who drives them might be. No matter how smooth the ride, some youngsters cannot help regurgitating their breakfast while in a car, or at least feeling nauseous during a trip. Having parental units on board can be a soothing influence on those of such a disposition. Further to that, although I have no doubt that a robotic vehicle could be programmed to take a youngling to a medical facility in the event of a sudden onset of disease, or hitherto undiagnosed condition, like a seizure or other similar event, having a parent there, once again, would be much better for the child than the cold comforts offered by a mere machine. Although the physical outcome might not suffer (although I suspect that it probably would, because of the natural connection parents have with their young and its importance in terms of neurophysiology), to be alone during an episode of some terrifying seizure would be harrowing for anyone, let alone a child.

In short, no matter how sophisticated vehicles become, if a child is being transported, their parent or guardian MUST be present in the vehicle during transit, unless of course the idea is to utterly remove the parent from the child's life by degrees, and replace the parent with a series of automated systems, designed to make the world just that bit colder for those who have not yet forgotten how to access the inner warmth of youth.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

But see, that's the thing.
Yes, we all know that a child can travel, but not without an adult supervisor at every leg of the trip, and advance notice to the carrier.

We thought of all that.
We still came up empty handed about HOW that would be managed with driverless cars - how do you keep little Julianna from ordering the car to take her for ice cream when the babysitter said no?

How would the car know?

I suggested there'd have to be a password, or retinal scan, or fingerprint ID.....what do you think would best serve as the 'lock'?

And who gets to program the car as to destination, max speed, route, time between stops, deadline for arrival, etc.? How long of a ride is allowed? Thirty seconds would only get you to Subway. Nine hours would get you to Denver.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I would think that once the technology is proven safe, kids that are norrmaly allowed to ride a metro bus or subway could. That could be as young as say 10, depending on the child.

I do not think very small children should be sent off in driverless cars.

I also think there should be a distance limit for minors. A higher level of parental consent would be needed to say, go more than 5 or 10 miles or beyond the city limits.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Granted, there would be safety issues if the car broke down and the kid was left all alone on the side of the rod, but that would be separate from an proper operation of the vehicle issue, since the kid does not need to know how to operate the vehicle.

Right???

So, sure, Junior, go see Grandma.

Now - if the car breaks down, who knows about it? And then what happens?
Does a "replacement" driverless car get sent out to collect the kid? And how does that work??

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hmm. What age do you mean by "kids"? And which types of automobiles?

I think they'll probably start off allowing anyone with a drivers license, which can be as young as 14 in some areas. This is probably more for safety reasons, in case the car has to be taken over manually or in case of an accident.

But the biggest tests for me will be self driving school buses, self driving public transportation, and self driving trains. One child left alone in a self driving car has the potential for bad things. But 50 kids in a self driving car w/no adults has a lot more potential for bad things.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Wait, hold on, you guys.....

Mr Wigs is now entering the room....

I've been having to run back and forth and tell you all what he says -
now he will be able to read what you're saying.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

No need to worry about that. All procreation will be regulated and people sterilized from birth. Children will only be born from genetically modified birthing centers to assure premium stock which will slowly replace the populace.

Oh, BTW, you're considered part of The Populace and so are any children you already have.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Granted, there would be safety issues if the car broke down and the kid was left all alone on the side of the rod, but that would be separate from an proper operation of the vehicle issue, since the kid does not need to know how to operate the vehicle.

Right???

Does a "replacement" driverless car get sent out to collect the kid? And how does that work??

I would think these vehicles would have a vast number of sensors. If anything were to malfunction, a new car would be sent.

The car would know the age of the passenger (s) and know to send just another car, send law enforcement/medical, notify parents, etc.

There would be an age set where, in case of a breakdown, the person could get into another driverless car on their own. Maybe 12? If younger, an employee can be sent to assist or a parent transported to the location?

The same for the elderly and handicapped. They might need help getting into another vehicle.
edit on 18-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

No need to worry about that. All procreation will be regulated and people sterilized from birth. Children will only be born from genetically modified birthing centers to assure premium stock which will slowly replace the populace.

Oh, BTW, you're considered part of The Populace and so are any children you already have.

Logan's Run is one of my favorites, too. LOL

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Right???

I agree that is an issue.

However, that is a different issue than "can a driverless car be ridden in by people who don't know how to drive".

Today there are people who put their kids on a greyhound bus and send them to Grandma's (under certain conditions). I suppose the bus driver is there to watch over the kids if there is an emergency situation, such as the bus breaking down. Granted, a kid alone in a "pod" destined for grandma's is different, but not that different.

Someday, people who don't know how to drive will be able to travel alone in automated vehicles. That may be more problematic for minors traveling alone, but I bet someday if the driverless technology is mostly fail-safe, it will happen.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

But the biggest tests for me will be self driving school buses, self driving public transportation, and self driving trains. One child left alone in a self driving car has the potential for bad things. But 50 kids in a self driving car w/no adults has a lot more potential for bad things.

I think some places already have self driving trains, like subway trains. I wouls imagine a self driving school bus would have 10x the sensors and cameras all over it, which someone is monitoring. Would probably be better than just the 1 bus driver.

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: mOjOm

Logan's Run is one of my favorites, too. LOL

"Reldra 20": Enter the Carousel. This is the time of renewal"

posted on May, 18 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I see it happening in the next 20-50 years. My Dad & I were just talking about this yesterday while on the interstate. We were talking about the pro's and con's of automation and he kept focusing on factories. So I simply pointed to all of the truckers on the road & said they're the ones who need to watch out. Once the technology is proven to be safer than human drivers, shipping companies will save enormous sums by cutting out all of the drivers.

I actually think truckers, trains (for supplies and materials, not passenger trains), and self "driving" cargo ships will be the real game changers. And I think that's what Google's real aim is for the technology. Self driving passenger vehicles will probably be more of a novelty for the foreseeable future, except with public transportation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join