It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus Ever Really Intend For "Christianity"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Is there an "historical" Hercules?

How should I know?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Why do you know, why do you claim to know about an "historical" Jesus Christ then?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Its in a book that's why.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Why do you know, why do you claim to know about an "historical" Jesus Christ then?

I didn't claim to know about a historical Jesus. It's an assumption that Jesus existed. It is purported that Kim Jung Il had a divine birth. That doesn't mean Kim Jung Il was invented.

What is your evidence that Jesus was invented?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

What is your evidence that Jesus was invented?

What's your evidence that "Jesus", the biblical character existed?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

What's your evidence that "Jesus", the biblical character existed?

I don't have any. I already said I was assuming he existed.

What is your evidence he was invented?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I already said I was assuming he existed.

Oh. I missed that. Do you also assume that Hercules existed?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, he was correct in what he said according to the gospels. But not the way you're probably thinking. Remember John 10:34?

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"

We are as divine as he is according to Jesus.
edit on 12-5-2016 by solongandgoodnight because: Added

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

What is your evidence Jesus was invented?

edit on 12-5-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

It's not upon me to prove that magic men, born of virgins, miracle workers who rise from the dead are made up, any more than it's put upon me to prove that Hercules was a real person.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: solongandgoodnight

So if someone believes in you, you can grant them eternal life and they shall not perish? He also mentions he can do this in the very same bit of scripture, John 10.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

It's not upon me to prove that magic men, born of virgins, miracle workers who rise from the dead are made up, any more than it's put upon me to prove that Hercules was a real person.

Obviously the supernatural embellishments were invented, probably propaganda, much like the embellishment regarding Kim Jung Il's divine birth were invented. But I don't see the logical conclusion that stipulates that because a man was purported to have divine superhuman powers by others, that the man himself never existed.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Boone, Bowie and Crockett.

All three were real. All three have stories that are near mythical in status. We call them "tall" tales.
edit on 12-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Okay then. Hercules was a real person too, by that logic.

So much for critical thinking and research.

But, let me ask you this, take away the mysticism from Jesus Christ, and what have you got? Some rehashed Jewish theology from Leviticus and "modern" Jewish philosophy that was being discussed at the the same time by Hillel and by Philo of Alexandria?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hey, I'm just quoting the bible like you. I think the man was brilliant, but I think a lot was added in the bible. That is just my opinion based off the fact that other things in the bible were added in later in some of the books.

I also think we probably missed much of his meaning when he said things.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

All three were real. All three have stories that are near mythical in status. We call them "tall" tales.

Do Boone, Bowie and Crockett save you from eternal damnation?

Hercules, Athena and Icarus? All based on real people?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight
Hey, I'm just quoting the bible like you. I think the man was brilliant, but I think a lot was added in the bible. That is just my opinion based off the fact that other things in the bible were added in later in some of the books.

I also think we probably missed much of his meaning when he said things.

I think when you simply quote part of the scripture of a chapter you miss the context. So I paraphrased the some of the rest. I asked you, did any of the rest of those people also offer eternal salvation? Jesus just got doing so.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Do Boone, Bowie and Crockett save you from eternal damnation?

Hercules, Athena and Icarus? All based on real people?

So that's what's put the bee in your bonnet? You could care less that those others have unbelievable things said of them but that they might be based on a grain of truth, or in the case of the three I mentioned, be three people we know were true who are in the process of being turned into the American versions of Hercules, Athena and Icarus (i.e. mythologized by time). What really seems to be sticking in your craw is that Jesus who may in the end be a person who had the same thing happen to him had a story attached to him that spawned a major religion based on the offer of eternal salvation?

So you are bound and determined that he must never, ever have existed?

That would be like someone in the far future saying that L. Ron Hubbard could never have existed simply because they end up hating Scientology.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight

I also think we probably missed much of his meaning when he said things. And I know he talked about eternal life, but where in John 10 is that?

I think when you simply quote part of the scripture of a chapter you miss the context. So I paraphrased the some of the rest. I asked you, did any of the rest of those people also offer eternal salvation? Jesus just got doing so.

Look man, it's just my opinion that things were inserted in there to make him seem divine.

Can I grant eternal life? Who even knows what he might've been talking about? He also said that the kingdom of heaven is within you. Much can be misinterpreted.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Okay then. Hercules was a real person too, by that logic.

So much for critical thinking and research.

But, let me ask you this, take away the mysticism from Jesus Christ, and what have you got? Some rehashed Jewish theology from Leviticus and "modern" Jewish philosophy that was being discussed at the the same time by Hillel and by Philo of Alexandria?

Yes, stories, legends and myths can be based on real people. Is that so hard to believe? What part of your critical thinking and research leads you to believe otherwise? Because I don't think you have any.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join