It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by astral_ice
Laugh all you want the guy is a thug, and btw sheriffs run county jails not prisons. These are misdemeanor offenders for the most part, and he does everything he can to humiliate and degrade
Originally posted by FredT
Face facts, they are in jail / prison (symantics) and are serving time, not spending a day at the country club. :shk: I for one would love to see more of it. Make jail something to not want to go to.
According to Patrick, the expert found that detention officers:
* Used force on inmates, even after they were completely restrained by handcuffs or restraint chairs. "Examples include use of a stun gun to a prisoner's testicles while in a restraint chair; using stun guns on prisoners in restraint chairs; punching or kicking prisoners in cuffs," Patrick wrote.
* Used more force than situations required. "Examples include punching and kicking inmates in the head, shoving or throwing prisoners against walls to gain control, rather than using standard restraint techniques," Patrick's letter said.
* Serious dental care can be delayed for more than a month. "On one or more occasions, numerous inmates broke or chipped teeth on rocks mixed in with their food. The jails, despite acknowledging that rocks were in fact contained in food, refused to fix inmates' broken teeth," Patrick writes.
Sheriff Joe and his posse webcasting a jail netcam showing female inmates use the toilet - assistant attorney general Thackeray asked Arpaio to shut the site (crime.com) down after getting complaints from activists who have condemned Jailcam as a violation of privacy rights of people who have not been charged with a crime. - Complaints about the site were collected by Donna Hamm, head of Middle Ground, an inmate rights group. Because some of the women in the holding cell could be juveniles,
Scott Norberg died of asphyxia in Madison Street Jail on 1 June 1996, after being tackled by 14 detention officers and placed in a restraint chair with a towel over his face. Although Norberg was reportedly uncooperative and engaged in bizarre behaviour, his behaviour and initial "passive resistance" does not appear to have warranted the extreme degree of force used, especially as he was already had his hands handcuffed behind his back and was lying on his stomach on the ground when dragged by officers from his cell. The autopsy report showed that he sustained numerous contusions and lacerations to his head, face, neck, and limbs, as well as burn marks indicating that he was stunned numerous times with a stun gun on different parts of his body.
Other cases where the use of force appeared unjustified or to have been disproportionate in the circumstances, include Eric Johnson, who in November 1994 reportedly had his face slammed into a concrete wall and his arm broken by detention officers in Central Intake after he was verbally abusive when asking for food; and David Hoyle who allegedly sustained broken teeth and spine and knee injuries after being kicked and beaten and stunned repeatedly with a stun device by officers in December 1994. Hoyle alleges that after being injured he was strapped into a restraint chair for five hours until a nurse ordered his removal to the infirmary for X-rays. In February 1995, David Dalbec is alleged to have sustained a broken nose and other injuries after being picked up and thrown against a wall for persistently falling asleep during processing at Central Intake; a stun gun was also allegedly used to wake him up. Bart Davis is alleged to have been assaulted by detention officers in May 1995 and to have sustained a serious eye injury after being found smoking a cigarette in Central Intake; he further alleges that he was hit with a stun gun before and after being strapped into a restraint chair. In the Johnson and Hoyle cases there is video taped evidence of force being used.
Over the past four years, Arpaio has spent several million dollars on publicity stunts and extravagant perks for sycophants. At the same time, he continued to spend millions propping up ineffective programs that cost far more than he claimed.
Along the way, he bought a howitzer with $15,000 tires and a $70,000 armored car, spent $3 million to move to a penthouse office with big-screen TVs and swanky furniture, approved several hundred thousand dollars' worth of pay increases for his command staff and spent more than a million dollars on dozens of new top-of-the-line Chevrolet and Ford take-home vehicles for his favorite staffers.
Originally posted by dgtempe
Joe Arpaio is an enigma here in Phoenix. Everyone hates the man, yet he manages to be re-elected over and over. He paints jail cells pink, makes the men wear pink underwear and everything revolves around pink.
I think the man has serious problems.
• Just after the tear gas canisters were shot, a fire erupted and destroyed a $250,000 home plus all the contents inside. (The home's occupants believe the tear gas canisters caused the fire. Phoenix fire officials say the blaze was probably started by a lighted candle that was knocked onto a bed during the confusion.)
• The armored personnel carrier careened down the street and smashed into a parked car after its brakes failed.
• And in the ultimate display of cruelty, a SWAT team member drove a dog trying to flee the home back into the inferno, where it met an agonizing death.
Deputies then reportedly laughed as the dog's owners came unglued as it perished in the blaze.
"I was crying hysterically," Andrea Barker, one of the dog's owners, tells me. "I was so upset. They [deputies] were laughing at me."
Making fun of the 10-month-old pit bull puppy's death wasn't enough.
Arpaio's goons then left the dog's body to rot in the ashes for the next five days of 105-degree temperatures. A pall of death hung over the neighborhood. It was a putrid reminder of Arpaio's reckless use of force and callous disregard for the public's welfare. Not to mention the heinous treatment toward the terrified dog.
Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
In Maricopa County this guy is either loved or hated. There is no gray when it comes to Sheriff Joe.
Originally posted by Banshee
Not just in Maricopa county -- all over the country.
I love the guy.
It's jail, for crying out loud! They broke the law, it's not supposed to be a fun little vacation for 'em.