It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Arizona Sheriff Deputies Use Pink Handcuffs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
I personally don't put much credence into a free "newspaper" that has more adds for phone sex and stripers, then it does news.

What about the Amnesty International article I posted?

Here's a BBC article on a person who was in the prison:

BBC
# prison food being mixture with rotten meat, fruit and vegetables and mouldy bread. Attwood even says he saw a rat's head in one stew;
# cells infested with cockroaches;
# coolers which did not work and temperatures frequently touching 100°F.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
But as we can see by the articles AceOfBase dug up from the highly liberal, pseudo intellictual rag, The New Times, many, many people in the Phoenix area hate him.
I personally don't put much credence into a free "newspaper" that has more adds for phone sex and stripers, then it does news.

Actually I heard this story when it happened on my local news.. here in Pgh, Pa.. so its not all about a free paper spreading lies..

Also, lets not take someone's word who lives in the area.. they must be a liberal.. then again all news articles lie right???

[edit on 14-1-2005 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 14-1-2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You do great work digging info up

I personally never cared for that paper, and while they may hit on a story once in a great while, the over abundence of fabricated "news" that comes out of the New Times, sorely taints their reputation.

Amenisty Intl. is a whole 'nuther can of fish. If you go into a situation expecting and looking for the worst, your going to find the worst.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
It's jail, for crying out loud! They broke the law, it's not supposed to be a fun little vacation for 'em.

Not necessarily. MOST of the people are in jail awaiting trial and those havent been convicted of ANYTHING, and a good number wont be.

I am not soft on crime but I think we should wait for the trial before we punish them.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Amuk, the majority of the people in the Jail however have been convicted at any rate, and the conditions at the jail while not exactly Club Med Arizona, they are also being taken care of convicted or not.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Amuk, the majority of the people in the Jail however have been convicted at any rate, and the conditions at the jail while not exactly Club Med Arizona, they are also being taken care of convicted or not.

I would have to see the numbers on how many have been convicted as opposed to how many are waiting trial. I know in our jail 90% of the prisoner's have NOT been to trial so are technically innocent. I was merely pointing out jails were not for punishment but just a place to hold people till their guilt or innocence had been determined.

Dont we usually wait till AFTER the trial for that?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Amuk, the conditions in the jail are universally applied to every inmate/detainee in the equally. I can't see them setting up a two tier jail systems to accomodate everybody.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Amuk, the conditions in the jail are universally applied to every inmate/detainee in the equally. I can't see them setting up a two tier jail systems to accomodate everybody.

Most do. Prisoner's that have been convicted and awaiting transportation to prison are separated from everyone else. Why should a convicted murderer and a man waiting to see a judge for overdue traffic tickets, or a man that is merely a suspect in a crime be treated the same?

My entire point is that people are not, as some suggested, in jail to be punished. That is what prisons are for. Jails are to hold people till trial, so saying they are all criminals and deserve it is not always true.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Sheriff Arpaio is a publicity whore. I hope to God he never runs for governor! The Sheriff's armored personell carrier has Sheriff Arpaio painted on the side instead of Maricopa County Sheriff Department. Unfortunately folks are taken by his "maverick" approach and will follow him like sheep.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
*Yawn* Why don't you people take a cue from the Canadian system. We have a very low repeat offender rate for violent crimes especially murder and we don't treat inmates how this guy does. If its a low Murder rate you guys are after I think it would be in your best interests doncha know. Just my opinion on the matter and I know no matter how much statistics on the matter will back me up on this people will disagree with me, oh well. Toronto had a grand total of 64 Murders in 2004 how many did Manhatten Island have? Detroit? Similiar Populations but way higher murder rates, I wonder why?

[edit on 15-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Hmmm is not that big of a differnece Canada has 0.01 murders per capital, the U.S. has 0.04 per capital Yes the U.S has more, but not the huge difference you seem to making it out as

www.nationmaster.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Oh yeah, he's doing a great job.

www.maricopa.gov...
A total of 298 people were murdered in
Maricopa County during 2002. As shown
in Figure 11-1, this represents a homicide
rate of 8.7 deaths per 100,000 residents.
In comparison, the rate for the United
States 5.9 deaths per 100,000 residents

maricopa.gov
The County continues to work with other local governments to develop strategies to address the high property crime rate, which includes auto theft, where Maricopa County leads the nation with a rate of 1,320 auto thefts per 100,000 population.

Perhaps I'm reading that table wrong but it looks like his county has the highest property crime rates in the entire US.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Hmmm is not that big of a differnece Canada has 0.01 murders per capital, the U.S. has 0.04 per capital Yes the U.S has more, but not the huge difference you seem to making it out as

www.nationmaster.com...

400% is not a big difference?
Seems like a big difference to me.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Murder rates vary on a variety of factors, population mix and the like. No one is denying that Canadas rate is lower, but its also an apples and orages thing too. That being said, since your in a chart mode. How does the rise of crimes in maricopa county rank when compared with the rest of Arizona and the United States? Crime invariable goes up during economic downturns.

Edit: Maybe Sherrif Joe needs a freer hand? At any rate your statistics are at best misleading. Tradiotionaly Sheriff departments cover unincorporated areas of the county not cities which have thier own police force. To hold him responsible for all the crime in say Pheonix is misrepresenting the data at best

[edit on 1/15/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This is for the entire US:

Line chart of overall property crime rate in the United States, 1973-2003. Aside from an increase between 1973 and 1974, the overall property crime rate has declined throughout the period until 2002. It increased slightly in 2003 reaching 163 property crime per 1,000 households.
www.ojp.usdoj.gov...

National Crime Victimization Survey property crime trends, 1973-2003
Total property crime
2000 178.1 per 1,000
2001 166.9 per 1,000
2002 159.0 per 1,000
2003 163.2 per 1,000

www.ojp.usdoj.gov...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join