It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former slave Harriet Tubman to be new face of US$20 bill: official

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I've never understood some people's insistence on judging historical figures by modern standards. It seems like no one is safe from modern revisionists coming in and saying "hey, uh, actually this guy was an asshole, so forget all the cool things he did. Because reasons." Not even Lincoln gets off clean anymore. It's like someone saying hey screw Caesar, he totally committed genocide against the Gauls, everybody stop thinking he was cool. Except nobody bad-mouths Caesar because he isn't as relevant to the current political climate like, say, Jackson is.

Fact is, Jackson was a backwoods predator. Just look at his face and hair, he looks like some Scotch-Irish version of a vampire. Grew up scrabbling in the dirt. Killed a bunch of people in duels. Is it any surprise he wasn't a nice guy?
edit on 20-4-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
remember the outcry when there was a black stormtrooper in a fictional movie.. or that recent game which made the main character random ethnicity and there was a backlash because some were randomly black...

i wonder why they insist on this milticultural thing. its not going to change anything. in fact there are people whom have already sworn not to touch the bill.

theres no amount of time or ideology which can appease certain traits in man.
this might even intensify certain emotions from certain groups and theyll go and murder innocent women and children in churches for the sake of...

we need to stop shoving diversity down the throats of those whom are against it.

this bill won't accomplish anything but further veil real American sentiments toward blacks....
this is not a lie.

Like I said in my last post, "No doubt there will be controversy in some muted form, (as in carefully chosen words)"

So Andrew Jackson, the original 'Bullindon boy' gets into the act, except he doesn't really, his record is not so good if folk are really honest. The fact is, for instance, Black Americans..true Americans in every sense of the word, were otherwise persona non grata, even after 1870 because the real power remained in the states, and it would a lot longer before black Americans realistcally could vote, and even longer again after that before states succumbed to the basic Federal laws. Before that, it was meant to be a white European man's Utopia free from the Oligarchs...Meh, I'm not too sure that ever really happened either, well I suppose a guy got own to a bit of land and stuff..for a while.
edit on 20-4-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If people are going to get all bent out of shape with any and every image that is on our currency, then maybe we should replace every image with snowflakes.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

ya well that is the case, i feel his presence does more for anti-establishment then hers,

put her on the 50 for all i care, we shouldnt get rid of jackson

Don't get me wrong I understand where your coming from in regards to Jackson's anti-establishment views and contempt for central banking. I was discussing how Jackson may have been one of the better presidents because of that well that and the fact that he beat a would be assassin with his cane and kept the pistol the assassin wielded as a trophy. My friends reaction was this "Dude!! What about the trail of tears?!?!" Hmmm...good point.

In 1838 and 1839, as part of Andrew Jackson's Indian removal policy, the Cherokee nation was forced to give up its lands east of the Mississippi River and to migrate to an area in present-day Oklahoma. The Cherokee people called this journey the "Trail of Tears," because of its devastating effects.

edit on 20-4-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Maybe a holographic skeleton playing screamer rock with a guitar in the shape of a dollar sign.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Seen this linked on reddit, made me chuckle.

edit on 20-4-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

But the parties switched... err, at least when it's convenient to the racially divisive narrative Democrats rely on to support their lies of how the Republican party is racist. On issues that don't support the narrative we're all expected to stay stupid and silent.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Maybe they don't care about the politics of it?

I couldn't care less what she was politically, guess that is just for you guys to worry about.

And tbh the labels of today don't really match with what they were back then.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Meh not gonna start this
edit on thWed, 20 Apr 2016 21:46:20 -0500America/Chicago420162080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
My proposal for the new 100$ bill:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Maybe they don't care about the politics of it?

I couldn't care less what she was politically, guess that is just for you guys to worry about.

And tbh the labels of today don't really match with what they were back then.

Yeah, I could care less if she owned guns and shot "Democrats" (who were what we would consider 'Republicans' today anyway).

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
Allow me to be that guy.

This seems fine, but why not on a new denomination of a coin or something? Why do we have to remove/replace when we could easily just make a new space for a currency with her on it?

There's not really space for another currency that has a point. Coins are already set up for the minimum values when creating change. The real question is why we have a $20 rather than a $25. Creating a $15 for example is completely pointless.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

But the parties switched... err, at least when it's convenient to the racially divisive narrative Democrats rely on to support their lies of how the Republican party is racist. On issues that don't support the narrative we're all expected to stay stupid and silent.

Has there ever been a thread on republican/democrat. . . . democrat/republican?

Or is all of that an urban myth?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Federal Reserve Transparency Act

edit on 21-4-2016 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Just wait until we hear the "real history of Harriet Tubman" from the closet racists. They'll try to prove that history incorrectly portrays her, and she isn't a figure to be looked up to.

You mean like what's being done to Jackson?
edit on 21-4-2016 by pyramid head because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

Elsa Lancaster never looked that good. Wait, she's a
front Essex Brit. Well, was.
But back to the Chase Manhattan chase. I forget if any
of the really big guys deserved to be on any of the big
bills, but I'm most pleased that H. Tubman is going on
the 20 instead of Rosa Parks or the like. It isn't racism,
it's what I hoped was an honor for somebody who made
a difference.
Besides, the CIvil War was won to make us ALL slaves.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Great. Not only are the US currency colors dull, now they'll be butt-ugly too.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Thank you for the correction.

I have had the fortune/bad luck to serve for 20 years in the military where we see a 1.5%-2.3% increase in pay per year plus promotions ($700 a month when I started and $2400 a month when I retired). Retirement actually doubled my income for which I'm thankful (combat injuries have their perks it seems).

When I joined I left a job paying $21.10 an hour and returned 20 years later to find it paying $13.50 an hour.

The houses here that used to rent out for $450-$600 are now $900-$1100 due to section 8 restrictions being lifted (so I'm told).

Another quick example from experience (please indulge me, as this is how I learn). When I was a teen, 30 years ago, I would get $20 a week for allowance. Now, that same $20 could not be given to anyone older than a young child as it wouldn't do much more than buy a few sodas and a candy bar.

People around me complain constantly about the price of everything going up. That should be a red flag for devaluation should it not? If a $20 is the new $10 why not just make a new denomination and put Tubman on it? Perhaps more than a desire to erase Jackson's history, the change is a desire to NOT remind people that we are in the process of collapse.

+Sorry for the rant+

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I would like a definitive answer as to when they switched.
Was it before LBJ started the 'War on Poverty'?
Trick question.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Just for the record, Jackson's history isn't being erased. The article in the OP says he'll be on the back of the $20 bill.

The choice of Tubman pushed Andrew Jackson, a southern slave owner and general who was US president from 1829 to 1837, to the backside of the $20 note.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join