It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former slave Harriet Tubman to be new face of US$20 bill: official

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Sounds like a good idea.

Cant wait to see the # storm though from the closet racists trying to come up with any excuse to be againt this

You're right. There are a lot of other people who should be on the paperback money rather than various members of the "black community". That is if we should even replace the one's that are already there. If we have to change it, and if other figures don't make the cut, then why not Nat Turner? He almost perfectly embodies resistance to the tyranny they faced once upon a time. In fact, he's one of the only figures from the black slave era who embodied the very spirit that founded this country. He saw the slave traders like one might see the Cannanites, and he made war against them to free his people.

So if we're going with worthy candidates, then why Harriet Tubman? Sure she's great, but does she outweigh the other candidates?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
Benjamin Franklin was the only non-president.

Also, why replace Jackson...why replace any of them tbh...people barely use $50, and a $30 or $40 wouldn't be that bad.

Hamilton was not a President.

And a few others on older currency.

List of people on United States banknotes

edit on Apr-21-2016 by xuenchen because: Obama will be on the future $3 bill

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

On a related note, Alexander Hamilton was rumored to be gay. I'd say that was pretty flipping progressive to put him on the $10 bill, back in the day.

If Hamilton was not too PC to be featured on a bill, then Tubman isn't either.

The truth is, Andrew Jackson had a heII of a run -- 88 years. (BTW, I told my six year old son the same thing when I found out that I was pregnant with his little sister a few years ago.)

This entire 'story' is a trap, IMO.

No where is it written that currency design can never, ever change. Personally, I think this story was supposed to dominate the mid-week news cycle featuring Trump *devaluing* 'black, woman' Harriet Tubman to a $2 bill. And then his supporters would be forced to defend him by saying he didn't mean to devalue her for racial & gender reasons. But the media and non-Trump supporters were meant to seize on it and further marginalize Trump supporters for defending a 'racist and sexist.'

And Trump -- being the agent provocateur that he is -- is playing along beautifully.

But now Prince has died. Let's hope some good comes of that and it throws a kink in the effectiveness of these diabolical plans by taking over the headlines.

Just my cynical .02¢.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
when even yahoo closes the comment sections in its bait articles, you know its bad.

yea, it didnt take long for whites to react negatively to a black on currency.
everything is fair game, sex, race, looks, etc...

i wonder if whites will share the same sentiments in another 200 years.

why would they even have considered a black person on a US bill, i dunno.
maybe to promote the facade of equality ; even though a disgraceful wide margin have other feelings.

www.yahoo.com...

let spread freedom and democracy and equality abroad, and spread the ideas of freedom democracy and equality at home, whilst the obvious truth glares at us.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I think it is a mistake. As the old saying goes: "if it ain't broke - don't fix it".

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
My only problem with her being on the 20 is that I'll often have to see that face. She's quite homely.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Since I get the feeling from his positions and stances on several issues that he might very well have loathed having his face on our currency, and since she is certainly a worthy historical figure for such an acknowledgement, I have no problem with this.

It's not like he was added until the late 1920s anyway.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

FED is kind aren't they

"Let them have their tartar sauce"

Mmmuuhahah

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewokIt will be appropriate when we see how much $20.00 buys will seem like slave wages. Probably have Al Sharpton on the back. What about a new coin ? Barry on the new half penny,

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I'm here to argue that it should be Sergeant Stubby (July 21, 1916 – March 16, 1926), has been called the most decorated war dog of World War I and the only dog to be nominated for rank and then promoted to sergeant through combat.

Prove me wrong asshats he's the best candidate for the 20 dollar bill I've ever seen.

Piss on the entire human race i want dog money.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

When at a store paper or plastic is still an option, for paying and of course whats being bagged too. Credit or debit is the silly question... no debt; so I retort, "either or" how am I debt free? I live below my means and understand responsibility of every single action... my advice is becareful what one creates and try to control desire for what others have with need vs. want. I've lived below the poverty line for most of my life, and here at middle age seeing family circle and swoop like vultures on aging parents like the parents did on their parents it gets a bit disgusting to see even when they try to circle me when Im not so attached but was asked my opinion by the parents knowing I keep it real.... so hey, damned if you do damned if you dont. In the tree part of the tree is the same old machine of greed and hate, rats in a maze and people playing hide the cheese except when a camera pops out candid or just canned response? Honey mustard makes some damn fine tunafish sandwiches btw.
edit on 22-4-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I agree with everyone about Tubman, anyone that would not, is a bonafide racist. I just find ironic that someone who was Kennedy before Kennedy that actually helped the country out of the same trouble we are right now is going to be dishonored PRECISELY because of his contribution to society, and in return, we get a face that while well-meaning and articulate, represents the worst of society today, the PC regressive left, forcing its authoritarian tentacles down our gullet, both the unfortunate overtones and the fact that she was unable to do something as amazing as shutting down the central bank while alive. That is if anything a slap to the faces to the people who serve their country or fight for truth and as such, it should be at least noted before the change happens. I really don't mind if they would replace Franklin that is a pervy spy, but a true war hero and economic savior getting the boot sounds like a message to the people...and it is NOT a friendly one either.

a reply to: Klassified

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I agree with you wholeheartedly...even though we see things different. Very much so it seems. All those Americans famous or not, but great ones, should have qualified; this means to me, as you see, she could replace almost anyone else than the Drafters (Washington, Jefferson [yes, I know...awkward] and Madison.) Only those with outstanding achievements should be allowed the honor and I know there are many dark skinned Americans that qualify. Those bomber squad guys that fought in WW2 and got those "vaccines"...those guys steamrolled through life as hard it was, they qualify. there are plenty of unknowns that would too.

We all have -isms we'd love to see obliterated from existence, but generalization won't help things. People don't trust each other bad enough as is...Just putting someone you are proud of is enough. At least one person will be happy to see his face removed from the stinking pile of paper.

a reply to: odzeandennz

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I wonder what the reaction would be in the year 2016 if a country with a predominantly black population had a white historical figure placed on their currency?

For some reason, I doubt the current shouts of "progressive, admirable and representative" would be used.

edit on 22/4/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Why not Sitting Bull or Pocahontas?
Is it still too soon?

And to anyone who feels their $ enslaves them, I'll Liberate you of that burden, u2u me and we can work that out.

Hahah, didn't think so...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Glad to hear this. If you like laughing + history you'll love this:

I had no idea about most of this. She is truly deserving of any honor given!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: humanityrising

here's the vid...

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Apparently none of you have ever read any of the
biographies about her life, or you would know
Harriet Tubman would have been appalled to see
her face anointed on a Federal note
which is plastered with Satanic symbolism.

But of course people refrain from the historical
perspective that abolitionist were CHRISTIANS!

Yeah, now I dare you to call me a racist.
Tries not to laugh.

I always tole God, 'I'm gwine to hole stiddy on you, an' you've got to see
me through. - Harriet Tubman

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
a reply to: Tempter

When at a store paper or plastic is still an option, for paying and of course whats being bagged too. Credit or debit is the silly question... no debt; so I retort, "either or" how am I debt free? I live below my means and understand responsibility of every single action... my advice is becareful what one creates and try to control desire for what others have with need vs. want. I've lived below the poverty line for most of my life, and here at middle age seeing family circle and swoop like vultures on aging parents like the parents did on their parents it gets a bit disgusting to see even when they try to circle me when Im not so attached but was asked my opinion by the parents knowing I keep it real.... so hey, damned if you do damned if you dont. In the tree part of the tree is the same old machine of greed and hate, rats in a maze and people playing hide the cheese except when a camera pops out candid or just canned response? Honey mustard makes some damn fine tunafish sandwiches btw.

I, uhhhh... Thank you?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I dunno but Prince would make a much sexier $20 bill..
Hey, loan me a Prince! Sounds much better than, hey, loan me a Harry.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join