It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former slave Harriet Tubman to be new face of US$20 bill: official

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The U.S. Treasury is expected to announce a major revision in the American $20 Bill.

Andrew Jackson has been on the 20 since 1928.

Now a new picture will appear soon.

Former slave Harriet Tubman will be the new historical figure.

Harriet Tubman was an African-American abolitionist, humanitarian, and, during the American Civil War, a Union spy.

Kinda neat not having a full politician on modern currency.

Washington (AFP) - Celebrated former slave Harriet Tubman will replace the late president Andrew Jackson on the $20 banknote, the first time an African-American has appeared on US currency, a Treasury official said Wednesday.

The Treasury is expected to announce the change later Wednesday along with a long-awaited redesign of the $10 bill, which is also expected to feature depictions of women on one side.

Plans made last year to remove first Treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton -- the inspiration for a hit Broadway musical -- from the $10 bill were dropped, however, in the face of popular opposition.

US Senator Jeanne Shaheen cheered the choice of Tubman on Twitter.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea.

Cant wait to see the # storm though from the closet racists trying to come up with any excuse to be againt this

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It doesn't bother me any. Andrew Jackson does (or did) still have some living grand children who might take it as an insult.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Cool.

Time to add the new 20 to my collection!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is actually pretty cool.

Harriet Tubman is certainly worthy of this honor.

I have zero problem with this. It'll be interesting to hear the excuses though...

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The U.S. Treasury is expected to announce a major revision in the American $20 Bill.

Andrew Jackson has been on the 20 since 1928.

Now a new picture will appear soon.

Former slave Harriet Tubman will be the new historical figure.

Harriet Tubman was an African-American abolitionist, humanitarian, and, during the American Civil War, a Union spy.

Kinda neat not having a full politician on modern currency.

Washington (AFP) - Celebrated former slave Harriet Tubman will replace the late president Andrew Jackson on the $20 banknote, the first time an African-American has appeared on US currency, a Treasury official said Wednesday.

The Treasury is expected to announce the change later Wednesday along with a long-awaited redesign of the $10 bill, which is also expected to feature depictions of women on one side.

Plans made last year to remove first Treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton -- the inspiration for a hit Broadway musical -- from the $10 bill were dropped, however, in the face of popular opposition.

US Senator Jeanne Shaheen cheered the choice of Tubman on Twitter.

Yes, this is a departure, and not before it's time. No doubt there will be controversy in some muted form, (as in carefully chosen words) or another. But obviously, this will be pleasing to women in particular.
edit on 20-4-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
They killed two birds with one stone: a black person and a woman

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They already reprinted the paper currency in the colors of monopoly money.

Might as well change the faces too. I vote Alfred E. Newman should replace Franklin on the $100.

Anything to take peoples mind off the fact that what they have in their wallets is worthless.

If you disagree with me you're a racist. derp derp. Weakest defense in history. But it's self feeding so I can understand why the Left uses it. It's a lazy persons dream. Fire and forget.

+40 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Allow me to be that guy.

This seems fine, but why not on a new denomination of a coin or something? Why do we have to remove/replace when we could easily just make a new space for a currency with her on it?

Call me cynical but part of this feels like a decision made to kick out the old evil white slavemaster from the money and stick something real PC on there: a woman -check, not white - Check, and let's make her a slave too in order to really drive the point home.

As other have said Harriet Tubman is certainly worthy of this honor, but on the flip side I don't believe Andrew Jackson is deserving of this kind of dishonor.

In my opinion, Harriet Tubman probably deserved better than being used as a political tool.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here's a page with all the $20 bills ever printed.

Interesting.

The 150 Year Graphic Evolution Of The $20 Bill

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Lot more important things to worry about in this world than who is on my $20 bill. I don't care if Gary Coleman is on there as long as I have a big stack of them in my wallet.

+42 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Does anybody else find it ironic that somebody that was huge in the fight against slavery is now pictured on the biggest symbol of slavery?
We are all slaves to money are we not?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
i can hear it now, "that'll cost you 2 tubbies, and change"....."hey dad, can i borrow a couple of tubbies to buy mom a birthday present"?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It's very fitting to put a slave on money considering we are ALL slaves to the all mighty dollar.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

It is much easier to replace than create a new denomination. Or are you talking like those special addition made to collect golden/silver dollars they do every so often.
edit on thWed, 20 Apr 2016 13:59:04 -0500America/Chicago420160480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thWed, 20 Apr 2016 14:06:11 -0500America/Chicago420161180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
This is actually pretty cool.

Harriet Tubman is certainly worthy of this honor.

I have zero problem with this. It'll be interesting to hear the excuses though...

Absolutely. She earned her place in history, and certainly deserves to be recognized for her service to humanity.
edit on 4/20/2016 by Klassified because: Removed faux quote

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think it's great that someone who owned slaves is getting the boot for a slave.
Awesome

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

A commemorative coin feels cheap. I would say throw her on the quarter, we've already got about 50 iterations of that circulating around, but I have a feeling that too would be seen as a half measure.

I guess at the end of the day It doesn't really matter. Blutone22's comment really clarified things for me.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The funny thing about the $20 bill is that Andrew Jackson would have been piiiissed if he knew they put him on it. He was HIGHLY critical of central banks.

Also, I believe they chose to scrub Jackson from the $20 instead of Hamilton from the $10. The Broadway musical "Hamilton", and related lobbying efforts, actually appear to be responsible for the change of heart.

As for the bill's nickname, may I propose "Tub-Dub."

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join