It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noises around WPAFB tonight

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Aren't they building a new huge hanger? Could this be part of the painting process?

They are building a new hanger at the museum .. not the base itself, this sound is coming from another direction entirely, and much further away... it's also, as I mentioned, a similar but not exactly the same sound as 20 years back which definitely came from the base, not the museum .. besides, they are using third party contractors for the new hangar for the most part and they are clearing out by the time I drive home.. there's no way they would be painting at this hour.. and it wouldn't sound like that at all .. I think most of the construction is actually done .. I live literally right across from the museum so I can see it from my window .. I used to walk there when I was 14 or 15 ..

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: miniatus

I live by Luke AFB in AZ. Sounds like a ground engine run. Zaphod is right, they make some weird noises. They whistle all the time in the landing pattern.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stngray

I live by Luke AFB in AZ. Sounds like a ground engine run. Zaphod is right, they make some weird noises. They whistle all the time in the landing pattern.

There's no whistling... it just sounds like gusting wind that changes in intensity.. and it's been going on for a long time.. approaching the 5 hour mark now .. and I'm 7 miles away from the base.. They have red lights flashing at the WPAFB museum, but it's not coming from the museum, it's coming from the direction of the base 7 miles down a straight road.. and one thing I keep mentioning is this has only happened twice in 20 years.. and 20 years ago it sounded different... but the same thing happened.. red lights .. cars leaving ... do they evacuate everyone and start flashing red lights? and do they do 5 hour runs? I believe Zaphod said the longest he knew of was 3 hours...

I don't know, that's why I ask.. to me it sounds like a freaky wind through a forrest .. gusting then calming... I hear jets dozens of times a day .. it's worth noting that wright pat is a VERY active base, one of the major bases in the US.. and I've lived 7 miles from it since I was 5 ..
edit on 4/14/2016 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I don't man. I may've over reacted on that last lil bit. The video I got shows it flashing but that's not what I saw with my own eyes. And as soon as I stopped recording it was gone, only to reappear in another spot. I mean this thing was waaay up there. I'm watching several planes fly over and none of them look like what I caught.

I'd say the video is pixilation making it seem to flash, but I don't wanna embarrass myself any further. I've never seen a UFO or had any experience like this. It could be paradiela(sp?).

Definitely hear the noise though. Still.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CheckPointCharlie
I don't man. I may've over reacted on that last lil bit. The video I got shows it flashing but that's not what I saw with my own eyes. And as soon as I stopped recording it was gone, only to reappear in another spot. I mean this thing was waaay up there. I'm watching several planes fly over and none of them look like what I caught.

I'd say the video is pixilation making it seem to flash, but I don't wanna embarrass myself any further. I've never seen a UFO or had any experience like this. It could be paradiela(sp?).

Definitely hear the noise though. Still.

No worries, you could have caught a jet or something.. I've heard at least two flyover recently.. very distinctly JETS not what I'm hearing now... but yes you're right, it's still going

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm gonna upload the video in a sec. I just saw this thing again heading away from the second place I saw it. Waaay up there. I didn't get a video because my phone couldn't see it. Plus I wanted to watch it and sure enough it disappeared.

Now, it could be that it's so high that my eyes don't see any flashes but it looked like a star flying across the sky. If the brightest star is a 10. This is about a 3 or 4. Very high in the sky. I'll give it a few to see if I get another vid of it.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I live near Nellis Airforce Base in Las Vegas. We hear jet engines roaring but see no jets overhead. My husband said they have the engines on stands, while they are being worked on or whatever. Maybe thats it? Have you tried speaking to someone on the base? Please let us know what you find out.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: callmeanutcase2

I live near Nellis Airforce Base in Las Vegas. We hear jet engines roaring but see no jets overhead. My husband said they have the engines on stands, while they are being worked on or whatever. Maybe thats it? Have you tried speaking to someone on the base? Please let us know what you find out.

I live 7 miles from the base, so the only time I hear something is if it's flying over head... this has to be incredibly loud.. and I've got at least one other person on here who recorded it from a closer distance from what I can tell .. at this point it's been constant for 5 1/2 hours and really loud.. the one person who said they had experience in this, I do believe said the longest run he's heard was 3 hours.. this is still going strong.. and this is only the second time in 20 years I've heard this, but as I also said.. this sounds much weirder, just from the same general direction..

Considering I'm 7 miles away, I never hear jet noises unless they are over head, it's this loud, and so weird sounding.. it just seems super strange.. and again.. we're going to hit 6 hours ( since I heard it, so probably longer ) soon.. a jet at full throttle for 6 hours that varies in pitch, sound and volume and sounds like wind through trees ... I'm trying to wrap my hand around it ..

And yes we did call the base, they said they heard nothing ( mentioned in the post ) .. but you could hear it even through the phone... .. we also submitted video to a local news station who was going to do a report on it, but never did ..that was for the incident 20 years ago, I have not tried calling about this one... I figured it would be fruitless.. but if anyone is willing, go for it... I have to check out here soon, 5am comes earlier than I wished it would.. I hoped there'd be more.. but at least we got some great audio

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

From 1983-2006 at Hickam, despite it b being a fighter base for the Air National Guard, and having a lot of fighters pass through or come for exercises, I can remember fewer than 5 times that they had to chain a fighter down to do a full afterburner engine run.

It's all about the type of engine run that's required. Even on large aircraft full power engine runs were fairly rare as most problems could be checked while idling.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

From 1983-2006 at Hickam, despite it b being a fighter base for the Air National Guard, and having a lot of fighters pass through or come for exercises, I can remember fewer than 5 times that they had to chain a fighter down to do a full afterburner engine run.

It's all about the type of engine run that's required. Even on large aircraft full power engine runs were fairly rare as most problems could be checked while idling.

I get that.. but how long does that last.. this is now 5 hours.. the last person to suggest that said the longest was 3 hours I believe... and this is still going ... and at this hour? nearing 11pm in a residential area, extremely loud ..

EDIT: Actually not long from 6 hours

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

If it's a new engine type being tested or they're wear testing they're going to run it for a long time. One of the F-35 engines caused an airframe loss because it failed catastrophically on takeoff. The solution was worked out, but still requires wear testing to make sure nothing jumps out at them. That means running it for hours at a time, then borescoping it to look for wear, followed by more hours of running.

The same when they do a performance upgrade on an engine. The only way to test it is to run it through enough time to get an idea of wear on the engine. Wright-Patterson is one of the bases where they develop upgrades like that.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Could depend on direction the business end is facing too.....
Make for varied sounds with wind directions....
The C5 has 6 belching behemoths I believe....any number could be under load...
ALSO PRETTY HIGH ENGINE PLACEMENT WOULD CARRY FURTHER....
and sound different than other run ups on lower engine airframes which may be more muffled....

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Four. The only six engine aircraft is the AN-225. The C-5s just got new engine types too which is going to change the sound.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I live a good 20ish miles from the base. Would I hear engine tests that far away?

Anyway, this is the video I captured of something flying way up there. When I recorded it, I had to zoom in all the way on my iPhone 6. My screen was pixelated. I was actually surprised to capture it. The light to the left is a star. I don't know which star.

Right now it's a clear night. There's two stars to the right of the moon, that's about how bright this object was (just as a reference to brightness, this object wasn't near the moon. The moon was about 45ish* behind it). It looked a star strolling through the night sky.

As you can see, it was flying from left to right. As soon as I stopped recording, it disappeared but it didn't disappear as in fade away as it flew away. It just vanished. It looks like it's flashing and I can't say for certain that it isn't, just that to the naked eye, it surely wasn't.

When it disappeared, I looked around for a few secs to see if I could find it and I did, I don't know, 35* to the right flying in the same direction. But that one disappeared as well. I tried to record that and the 3rd sighting, but my phone couldn't see it. Both the 2nd and 3rd time it just disappeared too, however the 3rd time it faded off in the distance, relatively speaking because it was so high that it didn't get too far away before so.

These lights behaved like a plane would, I mean they flew in a straight line. I've always said if it behaved like a plane, then it's a plane. But I've never seen anything this high or no flashing lights. Very surreal.

The vid is poor quality compared to what I saw with my naked eye. But I can't discount it being a plane/jet, all 3 being a plane/jet, however I've never witnessed anything like it. And I always look up when I hear a jet or a plane for some reason. Often following the lights until they fade away. These lights were different.

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
oops my bad....

Got my biggest planes of the world mixed up.....

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
For some reason what first comes to mind from your post and strange audio is could it be a post earthquake noise there have been at least four separate 6.4 or greater in last 48hrs in the west pacific...so my guess would be maybe the noise is north American craton plate moving in you area? I am curious how big of a radius that people had witnessed.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

Wind does weird things to engine noise. The F-16 idling on the taxiway could be heard at almost half a mile sometimes, but I had them fly over me and not hear them until they were past me.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

Wind does weird things to engine noise. The F-16 idling on the taxiway could be heard at almost half a mile sometimes, but I had them fly over me and not hear them until they were past me.

This went on for a good 6 hours or more .. I had to go to bed so I could be up for work, but it was still going when I went to bed... another poster said these burns go 3 hours ( maybe 4 ) .... but 6+ ? and CheckPointCharlie heard it from 20 miles away... I'm 7 miles away.. how can the noise be that loud from 20 miles away for 6+ hours straight?

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

A NORMAL engine run. A burn in or wear check of a new engine type or major fix check, as I said above will go a lot longer before they take it and borescope it. The Air Force is looking at trying to save a lot of money through improving fuel efficiency. That means making performance improvements to engines among other things. You don't make those changes and then just hang the modified engine off the wing. You run it for a long time on the ground and check every portion of it for unexpected results, then run it some more.

Wright-Patterson is the major engineering center for the Air Force. They make and check all those changes there and test a lot of things there.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
these strange sounds seem to be coming from an energy resonance of some kind rather than the object they sound like. possible large areas of particle agitation to create the sounds?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join