It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noises around WPAFB tonight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Mods, please move this as you please, I didn't know where to put this..

I live near WPAFB and tonight we're hearing a strange noise that's been going on for quite a while now.. it sounds almost like jet engines roaring but not as if a plane is flying, and I doubt they would let a stationary plane roar it's jets in place for this long.. the strange thing is the pitch and loudness changes enough that it has a weird haunting kind of sound.. The other odd thing is there are red lights on as well.. This happened only once before about 19-20 years ago .. similar noise, same lights.. at that time we also saw a huge amount of cars leaving the base while it was happening..

We recorded it on VHS and handed it over to the local news station ( News 22 for those in and around the area ) .. they were going to do a report but it never aired.. I wish I could record it now but my car is out of commission at the moment and my phone doesn't have a microphone sensitive enough to pick it up... there's absolutely no wind, but I can say the way the pitch and volume changes sounds like whaling winds, but it's entirely calm outside..

I'm just hoping someone in the area can confirm.. My neighbor hears it, my hard of hearing mother at the age of 80 can hear it..

UPDATE: Link to the audio, keep in mind I had to ramp up the volume, and I am actually indoors when I recorded it.. it sounds like wind gusting but there's no wind, and it may sound like rain but that's just because the mic was against the window .. soundcloud.com...

UPDATE 2: CheckpointCharlie uploaded a video with much better audio than mine, and it gives you an idea of how loud it really is ..

edit on 4/14/2016 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: miniatus

Could they be ground testing some kind of jet engine......
Perhaps a tied down airplane at full thrust.....
Maybe that's why the red lights flashing and people unassing the area....
I don't know if a jet engine ever experiences a runaway like a diesel can but ya never know....
just my first guesses hope it helps..

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I live about 15 mins south of WPAF. Actually was up near the base today on Col. Glenn hwy. saw two of the biggest aircraft I've ever seen, some sort of carrier maybe. Saw it take off and a few mins later saw it land. Coulda been the same plane, I suppose. Hard to believe something that big could fly. I'm actually sitting outside enjoying the weather right now. But I live right near I75 so I'm only hearing traffic noise. Would love to hear something like this though.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch

Could they be ground testing some kind of jet engine......
Perhaps a tied down airplane at full thrust.....
Maybe that's why the red lights flashing and people unassing the area....
I don't know if a jet engine ever experiences a runaway like a diesel can but ya never know....
just my first guesses hope it helps..

I thought that... my only thoughts are, how is it going on nearly 2 hours now, and why does the pitch and loudness keep changing.. when this happened long ago it didn't sound like that.. and I did find it odd that they denied hearing it even though we heard it through their phone.. and the news report never made it to air..

I admit, it could and most likely is mundane, but the sound is so crazy... I also have to say I live near it, but not VERY near it.. I live close to WPAFB Museum .. and that's a easily more than several miles away from the base itself... I'm used to hearing jets flying over head from base, this is a bit different.. especially with the shifts in sound

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Six engines perhaps.....tuning them up after a replacement engine or other...
edit on 14-4-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

Whars them bones when ya need him....

edit on 14-4-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CheckPointCharlie
I live about 15 mins south of WPAF. Actually was up near the base today on Col. Glenn hwy. saw two of the biggest aircraft I've ever seen, some sort of carrier maybe. Saw it take off and a few mins later saw it land. Coulda been the same plane, I suppose. Hard to believe something that big could fly. I'm actually sitting outside enjoying the weather right now. But I live right near I75 so I'm only hearing traffic noise. Would love to hear something like this though.

I was able to get about 20 seconds of audio that I need to figure out how to extract from video on my iphone... it sounds like wind but it's absolutely not that, as you can tell it's a very nice day right now.. ( as opposed to how it's been ) .. it really sounds more like a haunting wind through the woods kind of sound if I had to describe it .. you could always drive that way, if it's anything like it was before it will be going on for hours.. the last time something like this happened it was 3-4 hours

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Six engines perhaps.....tuning them up after a replacement engine or other...

Whars them bones when ya need him....

I'm certainly open minded about it.. I was mostly hoping someone local could give a listen, or maybe someone who works at the base had some insight, presuming it's something that could be talked about.. but I'm guessing not since they denied it previously lol

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Engine runs can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours depending on what the run is for.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

Wright-Patterson was home to many C-5s for years. I'm not sure if they're still there but they'll still fly in and out of there.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Engine runs can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours depending on what the run is for.

Definitely the most logical explanation.. I just wish I could relate how creepy it sounds in a proper way.. I'm going to download the video and extract the audio ( there's nothing visual in the video ) .. I'll see about posting it to soundcloud or something

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well I'm out here listening and I may be hearing something that sounds like jets but it's hard to tell being so close to 75. But it's a steady noise. Actually just heard a semi engine break, which was quiter than the constant noise I'm hearing. Hard to believe traffic is that heavy right now. But I can't say it isn't traffic. I'll be out here for while longer. Maybe ill notice something more. I mean, I'm not hearing cars pass by as you'd expect. It's just a steady noise and like I said, I just heard a semi engine break which was noticeably quiter.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
not saying what your hearing is not real but if you want to find a video of what your describing then go to youtube,there is hundreds of them.

man tried to post video twice and it aint working for me,maybe someone else may have some luck.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jm-Ms0dvlo

edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Distance and wind can alter the sound drastically. The F-16 makes some really weird noises flying over.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Man I'm tellin ya I may be hearing the same thing way down here in Springboro. Just heard a motorcycle rev it up on 75 and it too was much quiter than the steady noise. I still can't rule out traffic though.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Could it be a wind tunnel test?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I once heard what sounded like a jet right over my house. Nothing extraordinary, until the sound just stopped. It didn't fade it just stopped. Weird.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

No. Wind tunnels are enclosed in buildings. It could be a hush house though. They're designed to quiet engine noise during runs. They either turn the exhaust to stream that vents out our ejects the exhaust up through a vent that blows it upward to quiet it.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CheckPointCharlie

Here is the link to the recording as I hear it.. sounds like a wind but it's definitely not that...

soundcloud.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Could it be a wind tunnel test?

I'm far enough away from the base for that to seem unlikely, in fact I never hear jets taking off from the base, I only hear them when they are over head.. so for them to be testing something on ground for this long seems really unlikely... it's a very strange noise.. I uploaded audio here..

soundcloud.com... .. I got 20 seconds of somewhat decent sound, I had to ramp up the volume a bit ... it sounds like wind gusts but there's no wind happening

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah I just googled that and that looks like what I saw. That thing is humongous!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join