It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why white people need to stop saying 'namaste'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Well...the thing is, anti-discrimination law is, by designed, mean to include "protected classes".

In the US, being white is a functional exclusion to the race portion of "protected classes". While this may seem incidiary...remembering the reason why "race" is a protected class will readily explain why white people in the US are typically excluded from EEOC protections based on race.

Yes, its code/double speak. It won't be forever....but for now that's how it'll remain. Call it "sins of the father", or whatever. And whether fair or not...its just the way things work, on scales and cycles that are bigger and grander than all of us. Its hard to fight against a swinging pendulum....so you just jump on and ride it.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spookytraction
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

would you think it appropriate for me to see someone in NYC wearing a pair of those $5k Tony Post boots with a riding heel? Should I feel like my culture is being appropriated because they have never even ridden a horse, and aren't riding one right then (and thus should likely be using the roper heel?)

No, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd think the guy looked ridiculous, and you'd probably be right. Anyway, I think there's a distinction between religion and fashion. Right?

Not to someone who isn't religious in the least.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Anyone who goes on about cultural appropriation is a fascist and they should not even speak to others.

Basically, unless you're saying something that uplifts another don't speak at all. It just comes out the twisted hatred in you.

And of course, that doesn't befit a yogi!

I'm really sick of anyone spouting cultural appropriation in a world where every country flies in planes, drives auto's, uses computers, often wears jeans, etc.

The world belongs to everyone and all things in it that one graviate's towards, in whatever form of it, even altered to their own liking.

FREEDOM AND EQUALITY.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm also a-religious, but I can recognize how someone who does hold to a set of religious beliefs would feel when a part of their religion is used irreverently for profit. Or fashion. Perhaps pitching the same argument from a pov more closely aligned to your native culture might better illustrate the point.

It’s not uncommon to see a cross dangling from women's necks, more often than not a statement of their Christian heritage and faith. But Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby is worried that the cross has become trivialized, reports Charisma News.

In the forward to a new book about Christianity, Welby reminds readers that the symbol of Roman torture was actually “a badge of shame” for early Christians. “Today, it is more commonly seen as a symbol of beauty to hang around your neck,” he writes. “As a friend of mine used to say, you might as well hang a tiny golden gallows or an electric chair around your neck.”

Welby made no reference to specific celebrities, but several British papers set his comments alongside pictures of Madonna and other cross-wearing icons, who also decorate their stage costumes with glitzy religious symbols. Charisma News also notes that high-end designers such as Dolce & Gabbana, and Versace use crosses in their fashion lines.

Welby’s comments come in the forward of the new book, “Looking through the Cross,” written by Graham Tomlin, dean of St. Mellitus College in London. In his forward, Welby asks, “Are we now living with a symbol emptied of power by time and fashion? Christianity with a powerless cross is Christianity without a throne for Christ or an aspiration for Christians.”

www.christianheadlines.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
Anyone who goes on about cultural appropriation is a fascist and they should not even speak to others....FREEDOM AND EQUALITY.

Unfortunately, that also unpacks the freedom to be a raving arsehole.
Hence my suggestion for moderation.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

You have to understand that this "self-hatred" isn't programmed into their DNA. It's been conditioned into the collective psych of white people as a whole through the promotion of white guilt.

www.academia.org...

PC is not funny. PC is deadly serious. If we look at it analytically, if we look at it historically, we quickly find out exactly what it is. Political Correctness is cultural Marxism. It is Marxism translated from economic into cultural terms. It is an effort that goes back not to the 1960s and the hippies and the peace movement, but back to World War I. If we compare the basic tenets of Political Correctness with classical Marxism the parallels are very obvious. First of all, both are totalitarian ideologies

arcofcc.freeservers.com...

America as a nation is now dominated by an alien system of beliefs, attitudes and values that has become known as Political Correctness. It seeks to impose a uniformity in thought and behavior among all Americans and is therefore totalitarian in nature. It has its roots in the ideology of Marxism which requires a radical inversion of the prevailing traditional culture by cultural Marxism in order to achieve a social revolution. Such a social revolution is the kind envisioned by Karl Marx as an inversion of the social order and a commensurate inversion of the structure of power

www.theamericanconservative.com...

That is the dirty little secret of Political Correctness, folks: it is a form of Marxism. If the average American knew that, I suspect Political Correctness would be in serious trouble. The Ft. Hood killings raise an interesting question: why would Marxists of any variety come to the support of Islam? After all, if the Islamics took over, they would cut Marxists’ throats even before they cut the throats of Christians and Jews. The answer is that cultural Marxism will ally with any force that helps it to achieve its goals, destroying Western culture and Christianity.

I guess the program has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: auraofblack

I think you maybe right I always feel disappointed when I see white people with Japanese style calligraphy tattooed on them its just seems so inappropriate

Do you feel as disappointed when you see a Japanese Baseball or Soccer team? Are you a self hating Brit? Are you going to give up curry or kebabs?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Doesn't surprise me she would think that way, probably upper caste, thinks she is better than anyone else

She is a Lawyer - she must be perfect

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

In a few hundred years - if peeps are still here and have the luxury of arguing about this kind of thing - maybe kindergartners will be saying namaste to their teacher in the morning - and nobody will bat an eye

Or nǐ hǎo...As-salam alaykom...buenos días

Language and culture doesn't stay caged up for long - the world changes

Some people don't like change - that's also natural. Doesn't matter if you're from India or Mexico or Des Moines

Social justice warriors annoy people because people don't like having their thinking challenged. People don't like being told what to think, how to feel or what to do

Also - very human

I'm a human that really loves the irony

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
get a thicker skin stop worrying about what other people practice and do and concern yourself with how you can be a better person...there are no such things as micro aggressions...stop being so overly sensitive people....

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Hmm. I don't go around saying 'namaste' but if I wanted to, I don't need anyone's permission/approval to do so.

Na-mas-te... a collection of audible syllables created by certain mouth positions combined with vibrations of the vocal chords. Does anybody really think they have an entitlement over anybody else, to make that grouping of sounds ???

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

White people have been 'in charge' forever, as soon as that reality starting coming to close, the lot of us freaked out and SJW's and PC culture and this really really far right feminism among others were the result

Thats an assumption, lacking proof or evidence...when did the reality start coming too close? You have been conditioned well. Nothing happens in a vacuum - see my other posts about Marxism and the roots of PC

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

Hmm. I don't go around saying 'namaste' but if I wanted to, I don't need anyone's permission/approval to do so.

Na-mas-te... a collection of audible syllables created by certain mouth positions combined with vibrations of the vocal chords. Does anybody really think they have an entitlement over anybody else, to make that grouping of sounds ???

Interesting. I think that would apply to ANY word in the lexicon of human language.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Qwerm

one race/one earth/one God

Many races, one humanity, many or one god/s depending on your religion.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
What the hell is an SJW?
We whiteys (I can say that but you cant) are expropriating everything in sight aren't we?
Too bad the rest of the human race has expropriated about everything we have come up with....they shouldn't bitch....

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

What a load of rubbish. Do I get upset every time an Indian speaks English? No.

English speaking nations have adopted other nations languages and have used certain terms as playful monikers. It's not ignorant or hurtful-it's just the way we are.

But as they say if you don't like the train then get off.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Would you be disappointed seeing a Japanese man with an English tattoo on his arm? I doubt it...

Here's the problem:
We are ONE - and it seems that few in the world know that. As long as we define ourselves as separate, we will be separated.

We are doing a great job in perpetuating our demise, so please, carry on.......

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
What the hell is an SJW?

My husbands initials, so I always do a double-take when I see it on the Internet. For everybody else, it means "Social Justice Warrior."

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
What the hell is an SJW?

Social Justice Warrior.

Ooops, someone beat me to it.

Namaste'.
edit on 4-4-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I will say that this doesn't surprise me at all. Just last night I watched a documentary called "Meet the Patels" about arranged marriages and philosophy surrounding marriage from the culture of India. Those who grow up and are raised with Indian traditions and beliefs feel very strongly that their traditions and principles are proven to work, tried and true for centuries and centuries, and they have no reason to let Western Civilization taint this.

That's not to say that everyone in the Indian culture is inflexible and ultra critical of the West, but they definitely take pride in their culture (and that's an understatement)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join