It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why white people need to stop saying 'namaste'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

So, the white fella is now dissin yoga because white?

The only imposition on her identity exists in her mind because the last time I checked, skin color was not a prerequisite for the successful practice of yoga, the origins of which derive from Hinduism, which is not about to loose one iota of it's identity any time soon due to humans with differing skin colour practicing aspects of it.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

It's funny because you think that it's a 'white thing'.

Replace the word "white" in your response with "human" and I'll believe you.

One white man can't speak for all white people. We are all individuals. You're basically doing what you claim white people do, according to your response....

There's always a white person ( and i'm white so don't get me wrong here) willing to tell you how you should feel about other people. Or how other people should feel about themselves. They always have to stand up for somebody else who is perfectly capable of defending themselves without it.

I think you're applying to one people of color, something that ALL people do. I'm tired of someone pointing out divisions with race, creed and culture. Last I checked, we're all just humans.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: auraofblack
a reply to: lydie15

Her right is she isn't white. Our lack of rights are because we weren't born in India it would seem.

Sad. I don't know how us being white restricts us from being able to enjoy something that is not exclusively part of one religion, but enjoyed by many people of different beliefs in the first place.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: auraofblack

I am of the opinion that one can have whatever tattoo resonates with one for any reason.Why should it look silly or inappropriate for ethnicities other than Japanese to have a Japanese calligraphy tatt? How absurd,imo.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Oh at the very core level I agree with you entirely, there is no such thing as race, I'm talking from a purely group think perspective.

White people can't blame black people for all their issues.

The opposite is also true. That was the argument I was making, that each culture is responsible for their own culture.

I was doing the labeling dance because we were talking specifics. That and I was reading Tumblr this morning which we all know is just filled to the brim with white SJW's.

~Tenth

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

So, by the logic outlined in the article, Karate instructors and students must refrain from wearing symbols of either status or accomplishment, written in the tongue familiar to the nation of origin of that fighting system? The student must not refer to his or her instructor as Sensei? The forms and techniques must be taught as purely physical disciplines, with absolutely no reference to the origin or mindset of those who assembled the fighting style in the first place?

Similarly then, no one north of the US/Mexico border may say the word Amgio, without having some outward and obvious genetic connection to the region from which that term comes? At the same time, let's have all the people of European extraction, who currently live in the US return to the origins of their gene line, let's have everyone eating the food their ancestors ate, using the vernacular that their forebears used, and let's undo hundreds upon hundreds of years of exploration and cultural evolution and Revolution at the same time!

What rubbish! I can see why this article would prompt you to post a thread, since it's logical out workings are so convoluted and segregationalist that it beggars belief. I think the author of the article ought to go and tell Eminem that he should not be allowed to enjoy, or produce rap songs, tell Steve "Zetro" Souza of Exodus that anyone playing music influenced by New Wave of British Heavy Metal from the 70s, who is not from Britain, should down their iinstruments and do something else.

Also, while we are at it, all the comfortable democracies we have in the West must end, and only Greece and other nations of similar age and length of civilised history should have the right to organise in that manner. Cobblers, poppycock and nonsense.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I want to be outraged too.

As a first generation Italian American (I normally do not preface that but to support my outrage I need to) I am tired of all you culinary nincompoops eating at places like Carrabbas and the goddamn Macaroni Grill and thinking that this is Italian food. No self respecting Italian would eat that dogs***.

You are appropriating my heritage as having some of the best cuisine on the planet by gobbling up premade, frozen dreck! Stop it! You are in fact NOT family when you go there.

Stick with your cracker ass cracker dining establishments like, well, the appropriately named, Cracker Barrel or maybe Applebee's.

And do not even ask about Spaghetti-O's. You should have your head caved in with a Louisville Slugger.

edit on 4-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

From the many things I've head about Hinduism, I've found 2 important things that stood out.

- The history of Hinduism is unique among the world religions in that it has no founder or date of origin. The origins and authors of its sacred texts are largely unknown.

- According to this hypothesis, both the Sanskrit language and the Vedic religion foundational to Hinduism is attributable to the Aryans and their descendants.

Interesting

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

originally posted by: auraofblack
I think you maybe right I always feel disappointed when I see white people with Japanese style calligraphy tattooed on them its just seems so inappropriate....... I am curious though, isn't it something pseudo Buddhists like to say also, or is that too the domain of white people exclusively?

Seeing white people take an interest in other cultures makes you disappointed? What about white people that have tattoos in Arabic? Does that stir you up as well?

Would you be disappointed seeing a Japanese man with an English tattoo on his arm? I doubt it...
it was meant in a sarcastic, ironic way, not literally........

Although now I think about this it DOES seem a bit weird. I don't see many Hindus sporting tattoos in English, same with Muslims. I think this whole article in general points to erosion of white culture.

Its ridiculous that any person feels that they can use language which is essentially a tool to communicate to exclude people from the agenda of cultural enrichment.

The devil in me reads this and wonders how many Indians I can troll IRL just by greeting them with this.
edit on 4 4 16 by auraofblack because: (no reason given)
The other part recognises the theme of divide and conquer, something that most articles these day seem to do.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
First of she's not white she's Hindi.

Secondly, It was Hindu teachers who came to America to enlighten Westerners who taught those Westerners to say "Namaste." She needs to chill.

Third, there are racial problems in this country and others, the problem is that people are shoved out of a middle ground. You don't have to be a self hating white to know that you benefit from being white in a white country, and you don't have to be a racist to know that PC stuff sometimes goes overboard. More enlightened discourse on the subject understands many things become gray area but these nuanced arguments don't make it to mass media and everything is painted as black and white, n o pun intended. Either you're a racist who doesn't see the obvious persecutions of people of color or you are a self hating white who can't acknowledge the contributions of Caucasians to science thought and culture.

Personally I am all for New Age appropriation of Hinduism. It creates a new version of spirituality without the traditional baggage that all religions have issues with.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I'm sorry but i think you also are way behind the eight ball on just how far the social justice warrior movement and the extreme radicalist feminist movement has come.
Warning extreme offensive language warning.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

Nope, I'm totally on board, trust me, my daughter is one of these feminists.

I'm slowly changing her mind but none of the less it's a challenge. It's still mostly cultural cannibalism from within their own ranks.

White people have been 'in charge' forever, as soon as that reality starting coming to close, the lot of us freaked out and SJW's and PC culture and this really really far right feminism among others were the result.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AudioOne

can I be somewhere in the middle?

I read an article to do with chakras from a Hindu's scholars perspective. I will try to find it. Basically the gist he wrote about is we are very far behind in our understanding of chackras because we don't actually really understand sanscript. A lot of their language and cultural communication is different to ours. They have concepts aaare that hard to translate unless you actually live the language.

link

www.tantrikstudies.org...

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
one of these ones:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: auraofblack

Sure! I hope more people are in the middle.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Why?
Because all Japanese people are white!

Please do not differenciate on basis of a whiter shade off pale!

You are the same color as I.

Namaste.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Daalder

Colour isn't really the thing...... it essentially boils down to cultural ideologies and uses of language and social etiquette. Social etiquette is something that has been used throughout time to divide.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

The list of what white people can do or say based on their skin color is ever growing.

But that's not racism, lol apparently

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If I say Im proud to be white, some other white guy comes to me and calls me a racist!´

If I say "namaste", an indian girl comes to me and calls me a racist!

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

sometimes I feel like the white race, and yes we are a race is the stupid slow kid in the group that the others are planning to do something nasty to. I look at all cultures and am happy to try and learn from them, but I get the feeling that sometimes even that is part of the plan, a slow release pill for our cultural self and replacement of ideologies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join