It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Picture Released of Lonely Dwarf Galaxy Wolf-Lundmark-Melotte

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Wolf-Lundmark-Melotte is a dwarf galaxy approximately 3.1 million light-years from Earth and located at the edge of our local group of Galaxies , it's known as a Lonely Galaxy as it's so remote it's believed to have had no interaction with any other Galaxies in the history of its existence , meaning any changes to have taken place within it have been naturally occurring rather than as a result of something else.
This new picture of WLM was captured using the OmegaCAM wide-field imager on the ESO’s VLT Survey Telescope.

Full Image

Scientists think that comparatively small primeval galaxies gravitationally interacted with each other and in many cases merged, building up into larger composite galaxies. Over billions of years, this merging process assembled the large spiral and elliptical galaxies that now appear to be common in the modern Universe.

WLM has instead developed on its own, away from the influence of other galaxies and their stellar populations. Accordingly, WLM represents a relatively unperturbed ‘state of nature,’ where any changes occurring over its lifetime have taken place largely independent of activity elsewhere. This small galaxy features an extended halo of very dim red stars, which stretches out into the inky blackness of the surrounding space.
www.sci-news.com...

So many stars , so many planets all in protected isolation.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
We are not alone..................

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
my idea of heaven, completely isolated and protected from the crazies of the universe!

why do I get the feeling that if we ever find the technology to enable us to travel that far, this would be the first place we'd go, just to disturb it's pristine balance?

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Every time I look at pictures like this, especially the Hubble Deep Field, I am just in awe. That it would take millions of years, traveling at the speed of light to get there, is just......mind boggling. We look at those numbers and think "Hmm, that's a long ways".
I think because it's just too much.
The immense amount of space Out There just defies the imagination. It irritates/confuses me when people say "We are alone" in the Universe. How can they look at things like this and say that? A Galaxy, containing just as many, if not more, stars as ours and billions upon billions of other Galaxies, with trillions of stars and planets.
There is Life out there.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
There are no satellites in space as far as I know, to date I have seen no photographs of the Earth from space or planets or anything. All I ever see are pictures of paintings and cgi video's which if you think about it is quite amazing. I challenge anybody to post a LIVE video from space of the Earth that is authentic, or a real picture of the Earth from space other than the only 1 that Nasa keeps posting to the web paintshopped. a reply to: gortex

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Qwerm

I challenge anybody to post a LIVE video from space of the Earth that is authentic

www.urthecast.com...

edit on 26-3-2016 by gortex because: Additional link

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qwerm
There are no satellites in space as far as I know, to date I have seen no photographs of the Earth from space or planets or anything. All I ever see are pictures of paintings and cgi video's which if you think about it is quite amazing. I challenge anybody to post a LIVE video from space of the Earth that is authentic, or a real picture of the Earth from space other than the only 1 that Nasa keeps posting to the web paintshopped. a reply to: gortex

There was a picture of earth from Mars and another which I think was from one of the voyager craft.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

So many stars, so many planets all in protected isolation.

When I pass, I'm moving there.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Might be isolated from other galaxies but not from other stars and planets.. This could be a galaxy full of the meanest lifeforms out there.
I think I need to see the brochure of this place before committing to move there..

edit on 26/3/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I know its not a 'video of satellites' like you requested, just my word, but one night I was viewing the full moon in my 8" Celestron Telescope and I saw a satellite in the view finder pass across the disk of the moon. This was a long time before internet or CGI and it was live to my Mark 1 eyeball.

They couldn't have faked that just for little ol me, you see.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

originally posted by: intrptr

Might be isolated from other galaxies but not from other stars and planets.. This could be a galaxy full of the meanest lifeforms out there.
I think I need to see the brochure of this place before committing to move there..

Well, I've seen the brochure for Earth, thank you very much. You never know, it might be the retirement community of nice souls that got tired of this place.

Looks inviting any way.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Only you would know this; but are you able to confirm that the satellite you viewed was beyond the Stratosphere and in the Mesosphere? only there are many people that say there is a barrier between them that is impassable to man.
a reply to: intrptr

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Only you would know this; but are you able to confirm that the satellite you viewed was beyond the Stratosphere and in the Mesosphere? only there are many people that say there is a barrier between them that is impassable to man.
a reply to: intrptr

? Who says the Mesosphere is "impassable to man"? There are countless satellites circling the Earth far beyond the Mesosphere. Even the ISS is Bove the Mesosphere.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You truly don't believe we don't have sats in space? Seriously?
How do you think we instantly communicate with people on the other side of the planet? Where do you think the pictures from Hubble come from? Ground based telescopes?

www.urthecast.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

(post by ngchunter removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Only you would know this; but are you able to confirm that the satellite you viewed was beyond the Stratosphere and in the Mesosphere?

Funny you should ask, I'm developing my own program for tracking satellites automatically. It will also automatically generate the data needed to independently determine their orbit, velocity, and altitude.

After I get it up and running on independently determining the orbit of a satellite beyond the stratosphere, will you admit you were wrong?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join