It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans getting worms just like their pet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: Gothmog
My vet told me I could only get worms like my cat if I swallow a flea...

The vet is wrong,
You can get tapeworms from fruit and vegetables grown near or in contaminated soil

Tapeworms have a three-stage lifecycle: egg; an immature stage called a larva; and an adult stage at which the worm can produce more eggs. Because larvae can get into the muscles of their hosts, infection can occur when you eat raw or undercooked meat from an infected animal. It is also possible to contract pork tapeworms from foods prepared by an infected person.
www.webmd.com...

Tapeworms take over man's body after he eats sushi

Ingestion of eggs. If you eat food or drink water contaminated with feces from a person or animal with tapeworm, you ingest microscopic tapeworm eggs. For example, a pig infected with tapeworm will pass tapeworm eggs in its feces, which gets into the soil. If this same soil comes in contact with a food or water source, it becomes contaminated. You can then be infected when you eat or drink something from the contaminated source.
www.mayoclinic.org...

The following are considered risk factors for tapeworm infection:
General lack of hygiene - if you wash your hands infrequently the risk of transferring infection into your mouth is greater.
www.medicalnewstoday.com...
edit on 22-3-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt Thank you for the info Gmoneystunt. I'll find out what's going on tomorrow at the docs and as tough as it will be, I'm going to stop my sugar consumption and head to the health food store for some sort of parasite tincture. Hopefully it all gets figured out tomorrow and I can feel normal again soon.
Thank you!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

You will be better soon. The very first reply on your thread from ccseagull was right on target. For the viewers of this thread I just want to say that its so easy to get it, I treat myself precautionary with pau d' arco capsules and sweet woodworm and/or black walnut hull extract once every six months.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I worm my cats and dogs twice a year- in spring and in autumn. These are the times the cats catch more rodents, getting all kinds of parasites from them, and then they poop in the dirt around, which my dog will go lay in or bury his bones, and get the parasites too.

I also get a de-wormer for humans for everyone in the family at the same time, systematically. When I was a kid, I remember getting worms from our animals, so I have always been vigilant with my own to make sure it doesn't happen to them. The dog gets it, then he licks your hand, and you eat with your hand, and you ingest microscopic eggs. Or the cat rubs on you, and you get the same pathway going.

The products are not expensive (at least not here), you don't need a prescription, and it is one dose. It's a habit that is easy to sustain and avoid the yuckiness of itchy privates!
edit on 22-3-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Don't forget to treat your cat for parasites also. There are even herbal formulas at certain pet food stores. After that I feed my cat coconut oil and catnip to keep intestinal parasites under control.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It seems that everyone has already given you all the information that you'd want. So I'm just replying to say I wish you the best with recovery and figuring out the "Why?" "How?" & "What?" factor. Good luck with treatment and possible natural remedies. As well any negative circumstances that come with it!
Much love to you and your feline with the predicament.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flannel
Good luck with treatment and possible natural remedies.

I agree with everything but with the possible part.

www.livestrong.com...
Black Walnut Parasite Cleanse

The worst parasites are when it effects your brain and it works.
edit on 22-3-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma Thank you for the reply Bluesman. I'm truly hoping its not pinworms and my itchy problem is some sort of yeast/Candida issue from taking antibiotics for a month after a tick bite and what I think I saw earlier upon self inspection is from bad lighting.
I'm pretty sure any human treatment here in the states is going to be prescription only, but I'm going to ask the doc about it, if I can just go to a pharmacy and find something over the counter. I'm also going to look into natural things I can do from time to time for prevention and upkeep.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

my cat goes to vet on Thursday!
I have some flower essence for parasites for animals an will start putting that in his water. Coconut oil and catnip seems easy enough. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flannel Thank you Flannel for the kind words.
The kind members of ATS have helped me through this weird experience for sure, I would have been keeping this fear inside and dealing with it alone. I'm very grateful for everyones suggestions and advice.

I see your new, Welcome to ATS!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Thank you! I as well appreciate the warm welcomes and mature community. It's nice to meet you by the way! I'm glad you were able to vent in a different way than you would have come to handle it before. Stay open minded

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Doc will give you the proper medication to eradicate the things.

Unfortunately the US doesn't follow Europe's example in regularly dosing its citizens prophylactically for worms.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

a reply to: gmoneystunt

my cat goes to vet on Thursday!
I have some flower essence for parasites for animals an will start putting that in his water. Coconut oil and catnip seems easy enough. Thanks!

This stuff is ridiculous. If you want to stop the worms, don't let the cat outside. If you do let him outside, regularly treat him for worms. We treat our outside cats 2 to 4 times per year. It's only a couple of Drontal each time.

It's rabbits, etc., that are really bad for worms.

As regards the fleas, baths all around with pyrhethrin-based shampoo. Then flea bomb the house. Make sure you get bombs that kill the eggs as well as well as the adults.

Use meds such as Revolution to address ongoing flea protection.

These methods have worked for me for decades.
edit on 3/22/16 by 123143 because: GD AUTO-CORRECT!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Hi folks,
About a month ago my cat got worms and he got his medicine. At that point I had been taking antibiotics for a tick bite. A week later I bought some flea pills for my cat because the vet said the way my cat got worms was from eating a flea.

I've been itching in personal places for awhile since my cats worm and flea ordeal and figured it was some yeast overgrowth due to the antibiotics I took for tick bite... well my cat has worms again and just like him, I found the same condition on myself.

I have a dr. Appointment tomorrow and my cat has his on Thursday.

I'm curious if any on has had experience with this occurring in their own life... Did I swallow a flea!?!
I tried looking up this condition I'm experiencing and keep finding pinworms are what is like my condition and that pinworms aren't the same as what cats get, but it looks the same as what my cat has.

This is embarrassing, but I'm hoping for anyone to share what they know about what's going on.
Thank you for reading and any info you may have to share.

Funny. Literally just had to take some medicine for pinworms. My two year old picked up a case of them a couple of weeks ago. These are not the same worms that are commonly found in dogs and cats.

Apparently, pinworms are common in humans. Never knew anything about them until I noticed my son had them while changing him. I thought it was diaper lint as the worms just look like little white lint. The funny thing is I didn't diagnose it as worms until I saw some random spam list on the internet for "parasites that humans get". Took a look out of curiosity and noticed the similarity to my son's "diaper lint".

Anyway, they are easily spread. If one person in the family has it, then odds are the other family members will get it as well. All should take the medication, so me and the wife took it. You have to be fastidious about washing all sheets and clothing and your hands for a few days.

Most adults typically are unaware they are infected.

The medicine prescribed is Albenza.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The common cold is now transferrable between humans and dogs. The more we humanize them, and let them live like us, the more like us they become.

But they're worth it.

Doc will give you something to flush those things right out. Kitty too. No worries.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Lots of kids get pinworms, it's very common. My doc said they can pick them up going barefoot outside.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 123143

As regards the fleas, baths all around with pyrhethrin-based shampoo. Then flea bomb the house. Make sure you get bombs that kill the eggs as well as well as the adults.

That is extremely good advice! I think just two adult fleas can make thousands. In any case, the house must be bombed like you said and it takes care of every stage of the fleas life from eggs to adult stage.

edit on 22-3-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated I hopefully find out today. When i wrote the OP I was hoping for clarity about pinworms and your post is an answer I was looking for. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 123143 My cat has a pill called Comforts that has helped immensely with his flea problem.
I'm not going to use any heavy chemicals on the carpets until he is able to go back out. He has only ever gotten worms when he has had to stay indoors. The fleas hide deep in the carpet, under the bed where he hid for the first two weeks of having to be indoors and he must have eaten a flea.
Thank you for your advice and taking the time to reply.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Okay here is my update on this icky topic. Cat is okay and got his de-worm pill yesterday.
Verdict is still out on the stool sample I turned in on Wednesday. I think the doctor thinks I'm batty and gave me a pill for the itching on my body and personal area and said it was nerves. I'm a little bothered the doctor isn't more concerned about whether I have pinworms. Almost every site I visited on the subject mentions that the procedure for testing for pinworms is called a paddle test or scotch tape test. The doc had me do the stool sample method... not sure if that testing method is the best for pinworms, from what I have read.
Hopefully it is just my nerves but sometimes doctors have brain farts or something and I'm grateful for all the remedies that people have shared with me on this topic because I might end up left to my own self curing.
So, thank you all for the advice, I truly appreciate it!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join