It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undercover Cop Tricks Autistic Student into Selling Him Weed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
didnt they practically "legalize it" in california?

It's state legal with a prescription.

It is not Federally legal anywhere.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: schadenfreude

Whilst I hate this type of bullying - what gives an Autistic or BiPolar a free pass. They know maths and profit and loss to transact in drugs but poor poor man. "He's above the law". I thought those days where over - you cant have integration and then plead special circumstances.
Did you read the article? The kid is autistic and the 21 jump street d#$%A#$%$ narc put loads of pressure on this kid who has a VERY hard time making friends and fitting in with his peers because of his condition... all for 5 bucks worth of pot.
If anyone should be in trouble for this it's the pale man standing around a dispensary selling weed to minors!

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
nm
edit on 14-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: schadenfreude

Whilst I hate this type of bullying - what gives an Autistic or BiPolar a free pass. They know maths and profit and loss to transact in drugs but poor poor man. "He's above the law". I thought those days where over - you cant have integration and then plead special circumstances.

Did you read the article? The kid is autistic and the 21 jump street d#$%A#$%$ narc put loads of pressure on this kid who has a VERY hard time making friends and fitting in with his peers because of his condition... all for 5 bucks worth of pot.
If anyone should be in trouble for this it's the pale man standing around a dispensary selling weed to minors!

I have an ADD kid and am raising an Autistic grandchild.

Both fall under a very large umbrella. This kid is vocal, he doesn't seem to have any problem talking.

The excuse he so desperately needed a friend he was willing to break the law is exactly that - - - an excuse.

Just like Peer Pressure is an excuse.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: schadenfreude
Jesse Snodgrass who just happens to be autistic at a local high school.

There are varying degrees of autism.

Did this kid know selling pot is illegal?

Autism is not an excuse to break laws IMO.

Forget about the kid just for a second....Do you condone undercover officers pretending to be schoolkids and asking students to get them pot an acceptable practice ?....Is this what you expect of LE ?

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Forget about the kid just for a second....Do you condone undercover officers pretending to be schoolkids and asking students to get them pot an acceptable practice ?....Is this what you expect of LE ?

Like its something new? NWO conspiracy or something?

They did that when I was in school in the 50s. Except it was cigarettes or alcohol.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I will take that as a yes then .......

Like its something new?

They did that when I was in school in the 50s. Except it was cigarettes or alcohol.

I can only hope your stance does not come back to bite you and your family in the ass, by your own admission you are raising kids that could potentially be ripe for this kind of targeting....

edit on 14-3-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
nm

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Like its something new?

I can only hope your stance does not come back to bite you and your family in the ass, by your own admission you are raising kids that could potentially be ripe for this kind of targeting....

My granddaughter tried to pull Peer Pressure on me.

I told her that phrase is not allowed in this house. The only phrase I better hear is: "Personal Responsibility".

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee I just don't see why all the pressure by undercover cop for 5$ worth of weed. yeah the kid ''broke the law'' but from where I'm from that amount of pot rarely means squat to law enforcement. I don't know how many times I've heard stories about cops not making a big deal over what amounts to a single joint.

It's seems like some crappy undercover work when the kid wasn't a known dealer, never dealt before and there are far, far worse drugs and people to take as much time on as they did with an Autistic teenager.
If the kid had been dealing for some time, large or any amounts of meth or heroin, the undercover operation would have at least made sense and I would agree about him answering to breaking the law, although I would question why they wouldn't try to bust the people that supply the drugs to the dealer.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Like its something new?

I told her that phrase is not allowed in this house. The only phrase I better hear is: "Personal Responsibility".

Yes Annee but this is not JUST about the kids this is it ! This is about LE going undercover to groom criminals out of children who just do not know any better.....what about how many tax dollars that were used to train this detective so he could "create" criminals ....this goes hand in hand with the thread about the program to teach mentally deficient individuals how to stand trial and plead guilty.....i do not understand how you can condone this ...wow

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Like its something new?

Yes Annee but this is not JUST about the kids this is it ! This is about LE going undercover to groom criminals out of children who just do not know any better.....what about how many tax dollars that were used to train this detective so he could "create" criminals ....this goes hand in hand with the thread about the program to teach mentally deficient individuals how to stand trial and plead guilty.....i do not understand how you can condone this ...wow

As said - - there are varying degrees in Autism - - same as mentally deficient.

Most know the difference between right and wrong - - - what is legal and what is illegal. It doesn't give them an excuse.

Undercover stings suck. But, they've always been and they always will be. Didn't the article say there was several kids caught in this sting?

What about the other kids? Maybe we should find out what their excuses are.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

a reply to: Annee I just don't see why all the pressure by undercover cop for 5$ worth of weed. yeah the kid ''broke the law'' but from where I'm from that amount of pot rarely means squat to law enforcement. I don't know how many times I've heard stories about cops not making a big deal over what amounts to a single joint.

It's seems like some crappy undercover work when the kid wasn't a known dealer, never dealt before and there are far, far worse drugs and people to take as much time on as they did with an Autistic teenager.
If the kid had been dealing for some time, large or any amounts of meth or heroin, the undercover operation would have at least made sense and I would agree about him answering to breaking the law, although I would question why they wouldn't try to bust the people that supply the drugs to the dealer.

You're just making excuses.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Like its something new?

As said - - there are varying degrees in Autism - - same as mentally deficient.

Most know the difference between right and wrong - - - what is legal and what is illegal. It doesn't give them an excuse.

Undercover stings suck. But, they've always been and they always will be. Didn't the article say there was several kids caught in this sting?

What about the other kids? Maybe we should find out what their excuses are.

This thread is about 1 of these kids not the others, this is about LE over reaching and praying on kids in the school system....there is reason parents have to sign consent forms for their kids, and these kids do not have learning disabilities !!!, i agree that parenting is the be all and end all of how a child ultimately turns out i however do not agree with LE grooming of children let alone mentally deficient and vulnerable ones....

It makes no difference how long this has been going on ...time does not absolve the issue ...

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

well, I'm sure the kid as well and his parents learned their lesson... to keep the dialog of what is legal and illegal or even what's right and wrong with their Autistic son open.
I see your point about breaking the law is breaking the law and if it took all this for the kid to know what and what not to do and feel safe enough to talk to his parents about these things.. well all the better because in the future he could have gotten into much bigger problems in not knowing what to do or how or who to talk to... his parents should be more aware of subjects like peer pressure and drugs and hopefully they can keep the line of communication open with their son about what's going on with him.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by impaired social interaction, verbal and non-verbal communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior.

en.wikipedia.org...

I work with autism, the big point here is that people with autism have a very hard time understanding social interaction - if at all. To expand, they may find social interaction very unpleasant, not understand how to interact with people. I work with 3 people directly, but there's about 30 or so at the place I work, I think in total we have 6 elective mutes, people who's autism is of a degree that they do not have verbal communication whatsoever. The Rain Man stereotype is so completely off the mark, the "genius/savant" stereotype of autism is really unhelpful and occurs at about the same rate as it does in the "normal" population AND even if someone with autism does have incredible skill in some areas that doesn't negate their autism at all.

Can someone that doesn't understand social interaction be easily exploited/influenced, yes - more so than the rest of us, that is why they get special treatment, because they don't understand how to interact with the world.

This link sums it up better than I could
Autism and communication

This video is a lot closer to my experience of autism and without wanting to generalise, I'd suggest it's more "the norm" for people with autism.

I'd speculate that what the police officers did was child abuse, thoroughly disgusting behaviour.

originally posted by: Bovah2
And for the record, you wouldn't do a damn thing if you saw me bully someone. You'd get murked if you tried.

Agreed, you are some kind of merkin.
edit on 14/3/1616 by jokei because: windows upadate was mandatory

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

well, I'm sure the kid as well and his parents learned their lesson... to keep the dialog of what is legal and illegal or even what's right and wrong with their Autistic son open.
I see your point about breaking the law is breaking the law and if it took all this for the kid to know what and what not to do and feel safe enough to talk to his parents about these things.. well all the better because in the future he could have gotten into much bigger problems in not knowing what to do or how or who to talk to... his parents should be more aware of subjects like peer pressure and drugs and hopefully they can keep the line of communication open with their son about what's going on with him.

Thanks for your understanding.

My oldest daughter was ADD. My grandson is high functioning autistic. In both cases I got the right help. And KNOW how fortunate I was/am to get that help.

Everyone has to function in some capacity in this society. With kids like this (future adults) its even more important that they learn and execute the rules/laws of society. Besides, rule following gives them structure. Allowing them the excuse of breaking rules/laws because of their dysfunction is not OK.

Allowing them to find their own niche in the world is definitely OK. That's different then breaking laws/rules of society.

My daughter was diagnosed at 6 with ADD. She had zero attention span on a one-to-one. She required physical contact (squeezing her hand) and direct eye contact to focus. Her doctor (and school) were amazing. Her doctor said: Self-esteem, Self-esteem, Self-esteem. Don't worry about grades, they'll come if she believes in herself. She struggled, but graduated high school.

My grandson has been in behavior modification since age 2. He is high functioning autistic with sensory issues (couldn't touch his hair, because his hair hurt - - has pretty much outgrown that). He taught himself to read phonetically at age 3, but was almost non-speaking. He is now mainstreamed except for special attention in conversational language.

I've kept him in social environments (not isolating play dates). I have him in dance and acting classes (his behavior varies, but the teachers know). Funny thing is he's the only boy and the girls talk a lot and make a fuss over him. He hates being forced to do something he doesn't want to do, too bad. He's not going to live in isolating "computer world".

I am not raising a child. I am raising a future adult that needs to be able to function in the world. I break it up into different worlds. He has "school world", "dance world", "swim world", etc - - and "his world" were he can just be himself.

He has a behavior/manners marble jar at home. Early intervention of him being personally aware of behavior/manners action.

We expect him to be responsible for himself and his actions and he's only 8. He doesn't get excuses, because it doesn't work in real life.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee Thank you for sharing your personal story. When you mentioned the Autistic children in your life, I figured you must know more than me about children with Autism.
When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was more along the lines of... he broke the law.. no special passes, but then I read the article and felt bad for the kid and bothered by the situation.. but then in discussing this topic with you, it dawned on me, Why weren't the parents more active in knowing what's going on in their kids life and I came to the conclusion that this might needed to have happened so that his parents can focus better on instilling in their son how to live in the world as a functioning and law abiding citizen. It really made me think that if this didn't happen, he could get into really bad trouble in the future. I really hope that the kid and his family learn and benefit from this. I'm a believer in good can come out of bad.
It really seems odd now thinking back to the article that the parents dropped him off somewhere without having any clue as to what he was really up to... if I remember the story correctly.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

When you mentioned the Autistic children in your life, I figured you must know more than me about children with Autism.

Thank you, but please understand autism fits under a very large umbrella.

Each case is unique. There is function and non-function to varying degrees.

This kid was in regular school, as far as I can tell. Which puts him in the functional category.

If your kid is "different" - - that kid needs to be taught as early as possible that not all people are good, and some will try to trick you and/or take advantage.

Its hard enough to get that across to a regular kid. Its crucial to get it across to one with a dysfunction.

In a way, you have to expect more from these kids - - not less.

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

It really made me think that if this didn't happen, he could get into really bad trouble in the future. I really hope that the kid and his family learn and benefit from this. I'm a believer in good can come out of bad.

Very likely.

And in know way am I condoning the undercover sting, but as I said - - they did the same thing in the 50s when I was in school.

These things happen. And will continue to happen. The law is within their right to do undercover stings.

As I tell my granddaughter: "Don't do stupid".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join