It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undercover Cop Tricks Autistic Student into Selling Him Weed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee My black & white comment refers to the scales of justice with regard to law and order. My gray area comment speaks to the nuances of this story.

On scale, this so-called crime was worthless for the cop to pursue. His target was meek and his goal was laughable (6 grams of marijuana, by all accounts a substance less than a decade away from full decriminalization), but the cop himself is the actual problem.

On scale and dollars spent for undercover work this result pales in comparison to expectations. Where's the drug bust involving the dealer selling opiates? That's what the police wanted. Not an impressionable young man with a mental disorder reselling basically nothing.

To my gray area point, you do know not all laws are good laws, correct? While you & I can't debate them while breaking these laws, a case like this breaks wide open for an ambitious defense attorney to challenge literally every aspect of this case - EVERY SINGLE ASPECT. Ethics alone challenges the cop involved and the soon-to-be forgotten law they pursued.

Because this happened in the 1950s, as you claim, it does not make it right then or now.

As a tax payer in this district I'd be livid this half assed cop exercised an impotent law on society's most vulnerable child, when the known threat to kids is opiate use & abuse.

I know your mind is made under the umbrella of personal responsibility, but bad cop + bad law + picking on the weak = tyranny.

ETA: Personally I'd have field day with the cop, the DA, the high school, and the judge. I'd look for illegal kick backs to authority figures, I'd scrutinize the living hell out of the cop's record and interview all his known associates, I'd challenge the career aspirations of the DA, and I'd see what the judge knew about private prison programs. And I'd figure out why the high school failed to protect its student against a rogue cop practicing entrapment. This whole thing is a # show. And easy to tear apart if the will exists.

One more point: I don't blame your stance on this issue, I know that teaching personal responsibility and socializing your autistic child are tough to do and are remarkably important for the child and society. Thank you. But, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and it looks like a duck it's usually a duck - but in this case it's a crocodile.
edit on 15-3-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason88

On scale, this so-called crime was worthless for the cop to pursue.

By who's determination?

We, you and I, do not factually know what prompted this sting operation.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Who's determination? Potentially the Justice Department. And math.

Busting a kid for a miniscule amount of weed that costs maybe $80 doesn't even cover the cost of paperwork involved. It sends only a warning to that child, and does not impact distribution - the real target of any sting operation (which calls into question ethics of the cop, DA, and judge). It ties up needed resources, misplaces limited funds to tackle more pressing issues, and frankly just stinks to high heaven of poor judgment on behalf of the law.

And you're right we don't know why the operation was enacted, but based on worrying trends it better be about preventing opiate distribution - that would be logical amongst this judicial farce.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

meek and his goal was laughable (6 grams of marijuana,

That is even a minuscule amount as you say, but this amount was .6 grams. This kid got the cop a half a gram of pot and is now a felon.

I think the cops should be embarrassed by this bust. And how big a prick prosecutor do you have to be to not dismiss the charges.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ilikebooze You're kidding, right. Busted for 0.6 grams?!?! An undercover cop grooming a vulnerable child in a sting operation for 0.6 grams of weed. That's just laughable. I hope the kid and his parents sue the cops for entrapment and give the money back to the taxpayers. I hope the cop gets retraining and the DA evaluates his life choices. This is a joke (if wasn't likely scary for the autisic boy).

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What happened? Didn't the Cop meet his Monthly Quota or something? This is Vile.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm for sure gonna tell my kids they can pick and choose which laws their gonna follow.

We really do not know if this kid has done this before, do we?

We do not know if there was a specific reason for this sting.

You'd feel the same way if some kid in the school died from some laced weed? Their parents might be a bit upset that nothing was done to stop it.

I'm waiting for the rest of the story.

edit on 15-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
What happened? Didn't the Cop meet his Monthly Quota or something? This is Vile.

Either that or he just graduated from reno 911

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I'm for sure gonna tell my kids they can pick and choose which laws their gonna follow.

You'd feel the same way if some kid in the school died from some laced weed? Their parents might be a bit upset that nothing was done to stop it.

Who the hell cares if he has done it before it was a half a gram of weed? Jesus there are so many more important things this jackass cop could have been doing.

And so many more uses for the resources they poured into busting an autistic high school kid for a half a gram of weed.

You say you dont condone it but then you say you will wait for the whole story just in case he did it before. So you do condone it.

If he had got a half gram of weed for a friend before this would that make this justified to you? Teenagers are going to be teenagers, and that includes smoking some pot and drinking some beer every now and then.

Lol when was the last time you heard about someone dying from weed? I will answer that for you it is never.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ilikebooze

You say you don't condone it but then you say you will wait for the whole story just in case he did it before. So you do condone it.

I don't condone it. I said it happens. It's legal. Its still a Federal crime. Those are facts.

You can argue all you want about the amount of weed. Fact is its still illegal. And its definitely illegal to buy or sell on the streets.

Apparently they stopped the stings in Los Angeles in 2005, and this area in 2014 - - - due to the bad publicity from this case.

And I often say: "I'll wait for the rest of the story" - - - because there usually is more to it. But, this happened in 2012.

edit on 15-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Yeah it was covered here a while back and there was 20/20 or dateline or something like that on it.

posted on Mar, 15 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Yeah it was covered here a while back and there was 20/20 or dateline or something like that on it.

Ahhh, thanks.

Really a good idea to always check dates of original stories/events.

Is in the news now because they sued the school district and that suit was thrown out.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   

You say you don't condone it but then you say you will wait for the whole story just in case he did it before. So you do condone it.

I don't condone it. I said it happens. It's legal.

Everything Hitler did while in power was legal at the time too.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

You know the threads gone to shiz when someone feels the need to bring Hitler/Communism into it.

Societies require rules. Not everyone is going to agree on what those rules should be.
edit on 16-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

You know the threads gone to shiz when someone feels the need to bring Hitler/Communism into it.

Societies require rules. Not everyone is going to agree on what those rules should be.

Why is it when someone brings up Hitler it's over?

That is a valid point.

How about slavery?

Did society need those laws too?

And what did society gain by giving an autistic teenager a felony?

Other than one more person that it (society) will now have to take care of because he can't get a job (it would have been hard enough before all this for him).

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I think Godwin's law is stupid. Ppl should be able to say whatever they want to say & let ppl be the judge of the content & act accordingly. Ppl and their labels, smh.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: schadenfreude

I think Godwin's law is stupid. Ppl should be able to say whatever they want to say & let ppl be the judge of the content & act accordingly. Ppl and their labels, smh.

I break everything down to a household of 5. 2 parents, 3 kids, varying age.

What if there were no rules? What if everyone was allowed to do/say whatever they want?

Say the kids are an age spread of 16, 12, and 2.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I'm not talking about who is not taking out the garbage, or rather or not you should # the bed.

Gimme a break.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Greetings-

As a medically retired cop who actually worked w/Confidential Informants it was forbidden to work with either a juvenile unless You had the parent's permission but I'm typing about murder or violent felonies and that C.I. was to be monitored like the Queen of Sheba so it was NEVER worth the effort.

Now this cop had to go through Ca. POST Training (Police Officers Standards and Testing) and would've had this RULE beat into their melon. This not only falls on the cop getting this 17 y.o. to work/rat but this cops Supervisor for approving a CHILD be a tool of the police. This isn't just 'bad form' this is disgraceful..

Although I've been retired for 11 years now I'm still "fighting the good fight" by being a member of LEAP
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

This turd would be better fit writing handicap parkers at The Mall or waiting for drunk drivers coming out of the Temecula Wineries...

namaste

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: schadenfreude

I'm not talking about who is not taking out the garbage, or rather or not you should # the bed.

Gimme a break.

Expand your mind.

I'm not talking about who takes out the garbage either.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join