It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shouldn't Matter How Much ATS is Worth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This Rant was originally a comment I made on Hutch622's most recent thread...

I'm honestly not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but why does any of this matter?.. Most, if not all, websites worth visiting have adds.. Is it really that big of a deal?...

Let's say, hypothetically, that the owner of the site wanted to generate some extra income... Is it wrong for him to encourage us frequent visitors to open our wallets a bit to contribute?... I don't think so.. Hosting costs aside, it takes a lot of human hours to keep this sight moving as fluidly as it does..

Let's just say that 6 people had to quit their jobs to dedicate 10 hrs a day to moderating/running this sight.. How much profit do you think the sight is making after paying those individuals a modest salary?.. Cmooooon...Personally, I haven't donated a dime yet.. Doesn't seem like anybody is forcing my hand in terms of funding though, unlike the other conspiracy website that I used to frequent, that'll ban you for being an active member who doesn't donate...

Who cares how much this sight is worth?..Maybe it's a few hundred thousand, maybe it's a couple million... The question is, what is this sight worth to YOU?. I feel that there should be an option to donate as little as a dollar.. Regardless wether or not I become a "junior conspirator", I'd like to donate on my terms.. Other than that... Well... It's Saturday and I'm halfway drunk
edit on 3 5 2016 by EequalsMC2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Interesting thought. You're right! ATS does a great job; they don't beg for donations.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EequalsMC2
Personally, I don't care how much the site is worth, how much it costs to operate or any other behind the scenes issues.

My two cents....

There is a site called ATS that I visit. I think it's a fine site and I wish the curators well. As it stands now, I like it the way it is.

If it turns into a pay site (or introduces some pay options), people will either pay or they won't. If the product has value to each individual consumer, those consumers will pay. If not, then they won't.

I'm not sure what the controversy (for lack of a better word) is all about.

edit on 5-3-2016 by eluryh22 because: Correct typo

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I have owned sites since 1997 and I can tell you I pay 12 bucks a month and a good site doesn't require much of anything... most require nothing. Including forums.

I am getting tired of this whole debate [so I am adding to it...cough] and grow weary of the interwebz sympathy driven money train. This isn't rocket science (I do that too).

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What bothers me is that ATS is worth far less than garbage, useless, FAR MORE ad-slathered websites like Yahoo, CNN, FoxNews. In a logical world, ATS would be worth at least 150,000x those three combined.

Also, ATS is the least ad-intrusive website I visit, besides Wikipedia.

People are bizarre.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Profit is evil!
So I hear.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Volund
I have owned sites since 1997 and I can tell you I pay 12 bucks a month and a good site doesn't require much of anything... most require nothing. Including forums.

I am getting tired of this whole debate [so I am adding to it...cough] and grow weary of the interwebz sympathy driven money train. This isn't rocket science (I do that too).

SO should definately contact you on how to run ATS for 12 bux a month! That alone would likely stop all this Add crap.
edit on 3 5 2016 by caterpillage because: sorry, 12 a month instead of 11, oh thats better

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
Personally, I don't care how much the site is worth, how much it costs to operate or any other behind the scenes issues.

My two cents....

There is a site called ATS that is visit. I think it's a fine site and I wish the curators well. As it stands now, I like it the way it is.

If it turns into a pay site (or introduces some pay options), people will either pay or they won't. If the product has value to each individual consumer, those consumers will pay. If not, then they won't.

I'm not sure what the controversy (for lack of a better word) is all about.

Exactly... You simplified the matter in a way my over-analytical brain could not..

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Volund

Dude... You're a rocket scientist? ... Nice!

edit on 3 5 2016 by EequalsMC2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

True my mantis friend.. True

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I've refrained from commenting on this but I feel compelled to for some reason.

ATS is a VERY cheap website to run. It is a forum, yes a customized one, but a forum none the less. ATS hosts it's own pics, for a reason, copyrights to the photos. DO NOT try to put that cost onto the members when you can simply allow images from dedicated hosting sites like EVERY OTHER FORUM IN THE WORLD... That is completely on you guys to make the decision to host your own photos...and it's not smart.

As far as the website itself? Cheap. This site could be hosted properly for $100 a month, but it isn't. I don't understand why ATS decided to go the expensive route on literally everything, but well it's not paying off.

The site itself has declined over the past few years, and that's due mainly in part to moderation for ad hosting. Blame the users? No, blame yourself for desperately seeking adsense.

The site tried to stimulate itself with NLBS, but unfortunately that was way too biased a show to go anywhere. It was ok some episodes, but NEVER dealt with criticism well at all, and when factual errors were pointed out, the poster was either banned, flamed, or post deleted...way to run that crap.

If you want ATS to be successful it's simple. Brand yourself better. Stop relying on ads, and market the website. Wanna know how to do that? ATS swag, don't sell it, run contests and give it away.

This site lately has given ZERO incentive to be an active member, especially a thread maker. This site doesn't generate it's own content, yet slams users for "blocking ads". Well what the hell do you expect, the site is driven by members for members until the staff comes in and interrupts. Then they complain the members aren't doing enough even though the members do EVERYTHING for this site, the owners do VERY little. (Sorry updating the forums occasionally doesn't count as work, anyone with any degree of forum knowledge knows this).

To end my rant in a rant...ATS, people have asked you to be transparent in your finances. You are not obligated to by any means, but until you do members like myself will not contribute a dime.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22There is a site called ATS that is visit. I think it's a fine site and I wish the curators well. As it stands now, I like it the way it is.

Me too,
well, except for all the morons.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
When money becomes an issue i stop trusting the content posted.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
When money becomes an issue i stop trusting the content posted.

But the members are the ones providing the content. How would increased revenue for the site make the content untrustworthy?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I hear ya... although.... I suspect that if you added anonymity to daily life, we would probably cross the paths of the same number of morons.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Ats is turning into a political site, more hits means more money.

Thats just me maybe

edit on 5-3-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I bet those bitching about how much this site is worth dont give a damn about how much their beloved facebook and google is worth. Why this whole fuss about site-worth and ad's is beyond me, i say GTFO and stick to facebook if you care that much ya snowflakes! Jeez.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

One of my favorite words ever since I heard Bugs Bunny pronounce it maroooon.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

As a matter of fact you are correct.

I would say all the (unwarranted) commotion was born because unlike Facebook and Google, ATS has floated a "give us money" balloon.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: eluryh22

One of my favorite words ever since I heard Bugs Bunny pronounce it maroooon.

You had me at marooon.
At times, I have to search far and wide to let our son experience REAL cartoons.

Good form, Terry. Good form!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join