It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shouldn't Matter How Much ATS is Worth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
When money becomes an issue i stop trusting the content posted.

But the members are the ones providing the content. How would increased revenue for the site make the content untrustworthy?

I'll let JukeOfJive respond for himself, but I think (maybe) what he was saying is.... What if certain sponsors don't like certain threads? Will those threads be removed because ATS is on the take?

I think this site is many, MANY steps away from that, but I THINK that was the point/question.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: Tundra

As a matter of fact you are correct.

I would say all the (unwarranted) commotion was born because unlike Facebook and Google, ATS has floated a "give us money" balloon.

More like "feel free to donate if you feel like it" balloon. Nobody is being forced to pay to post.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

I would say all the (unwarranted) commotion was born because unlike Facebook and Google, ATS has floated a "give us money" balloon.

More like "feel free to donate if you feel like it" balloon. Nobody is being forced to pay to post.

Once again, no argument here. At no point have I seen ATS indicate they would "demand" anything.

I would just say, again, that neither FB nor Google ever even hinted at pay to play.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Once again, no argument here. At no point have I seen ATS indicate they would "demand" anything.

I would just say, again, that neither FB nor Google ever even hinted at pay to play.

Got ya!
2nd

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Yes thank you my english is terrible, and i was thinking similar to what you posted.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yes all sites have advertisement but next to no site will penalise its membership by forcing them to remove the adblock only to be subjected to a site that looks like a brittish tabloid rag, most sites allow the use of an adblock program and will put a banner inplace to annoy you to remove it.
the site is full of sycophants and people addicted to the star and flag system so gating the whole site behind an adblock wall and barring any access unless your a paying subscriber, wow those are some profound statements i mean it sounds like the 1% elite of ATS wants the 99% out.
I guess this will be the view from the VIP lounge looking down at the non subscribers. ATS had a good run.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: EequalsMC2

I really don't care about this. This flavor of the day outrage is boring. I love this site and will do what I can to keep it going. Monetary issues are irrelevant. I want it to continue being what it is. For whatever faults people can find this is on a short list of sites I can find real news on.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: EequalsMC2

I really don't care about this. This flavor of the day outrage is boring. I love this site and will do what I can to keep it going. Monetary issues are irrelevant. I want it to continue being what it is. For whatever faults people can find this is on a short list of sites I can find real news on.

Just curious, for my own education, what "news" is broken here, on this site, that wasn't previously broadcasted or linked to elsewhere? It seems that (almost) as a requirement, a link to a source is needed to form a thread.

I hope there is an affirming answer to this question, but has anything, any story been "broken" on ATS?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Well, see back in the day when this site was grand, you actualy used to get breaking news here, yes it really did happen.
also we used to set up live streams, put up live stream links to traffic cams, live radio wires etc. it was quite the HUB

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01

Well, see back in the day when this site was grand, you actualy used to get breaking news here, yes it really did happen.
also we used to set up live streams, put up live stream links to traffic cams, live radio wires etc. it was quite the HUB

You just described something truly grand.
It would have been great to have been part of it.
I guess what you described is what I've heard others describe as the ATS Golden Age

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

and when a site starts bringing that up, and then doesn't get enough from that so they start getting pissy and threatening the way ATS has...well make the site worth paying for then.

ATS contributes ZERO to the forums except having the forums. SO makes an occasional post.

This is now an alternative news site, driven by members getting their news from other sites. Members like Zaphod DO occasionally contribute news in the aerospace field, but that is of little interest here it seems.

The meat of these forums come from the members themselves. When the site starts asking for handouts (yes I will call it handouts the way they have solicited themselves lately) well why in the hell would I take my time to make a thread I think would be interesting to benefit someone that has basically slapped me in the face for not supporting a failing website.

The USERS make this website, not the owners. When they start realizing that maybe we can go back to oldskool ATS, til then I'll stick to barely checking and commenting.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Actually what made me sign up, after lurking for years, was a post about a mall shooting in Melbourne, FL which I hadn't seen in the local news. Breaking news isn't as important to me though, rather a focus on important news and some commentary on it I can't expect elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The OP expressed my view exactly:

What is it worth to you?

My answer: Priceless.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Being discussed here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join