It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Is Your Facebook ID Being Shared With?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What's your sign? Don't wan't to say? That's fine. Well, I'm a Taurus. It's true. I'm humble, peaceful, and I'm definitely in some kind of a relationship with food. However, You would not know this by looking at my Facebook.

I have hardly a small circle on Facebook and I rarely socialize with those I know. It's fun to see what's trending and see how others react to certain posts made by others I see on my feed. Despite that, I typically keep a low profile on Facebook. My settings are not public and I only share with friends.

I keep things pretty simple on Facebook. If you know my real name, you can't find my Facebook by Googling my name. Not like it would matter since I have one of the most common names ever. +++

One thing that bothers me about Facebook is I really don't like it when people I don't talk to wish me a happy birthday and start writing on my wall like we're pals, so I removed my birthday from my display page. In addition, I don't do anything half of the time on my birthday so there aren't any birthday pictures on my timeline or profile at all.

Now, I do have my birthday listed on my account.

However, only I'm supposed to be able to see it.

My account has been like this for a few years now. But recently, I got an invitation.

"Taurus Legend invited you to like their Page."

Wait.. What?

I'm wondering how is it they knew that I was a Taurus? I dare say that I certainly don't LOOK like a Taurus lol. However, my first natural thought is that it's probably just a coincidence and the owner of the page probably seen a comment of mines and is trying to get random "likes."

Out of curiosity, I messaged the page and I asked.

"Invited me to like this page. Before I decide to like this page, what made you think I was a Taurus?"

Their response.

"...FB choose your id random"

HUUUH?

I actually did scroll through all of the pages that I did like on Facebook. It was logical to think I had maybe liked some other Taurus page since being on Facebook for about 6 years, I didn't. No Taurus pages were liked. I can't say conclusively that Facebook chose my ID because I was a Taurus, but it is very likely they shared my ID because of that bit of information. It's just a little irritating to see it thrown in my face.

So, I wonder.. What information is being shared from our profile IDs?

Who is it being shared with?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
One of many reasons I shall remain a Facebook holdout. Never trusted it, never will..

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Who? Everybody..

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
They aint sharing mine with nobody, coz I dont use face book. 1: Because its owned by the man, and 2: as you have noticed, other people can share YOUR details even if you dont want to.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Mizzijr

I'm probably the first Fakebook user that has only 12 friends- I can't stand 99.99% of humans. Everyone is wise to keep their distance

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Gladly I quit that facefluke years ago. That guy that made it, made it for the money. How else do you expect to make money off MASS personal interests?
edit on 29-2-2016 by luciferslight because: Word

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have an old employer pop up under the people I may know section all the time. I used a different email in communication with him than I use for facebook, have never searched for him, never logged into facebook while in the same vicinity as him, never listed him as an employer. As far as I know, facebook should have zero way of connecting me to this person at all yet it does.

The only thing I can think of is that he must have searched for me at some point.

I do know it will automatically suggest people to you with if you've logged in using the same network or computer as them, if you've logged in within a certain distance of them, if you live nearby them, if you've ever attended any of the same schools.

The thing is, some of this info you can just not add. But a lot of it is collected and used automatically without any choice by you.

Personally I only put things on facebook I wouldn't mind a stranger finding out (which isn't much, I use facebook as an address book for people I don't have another way to contact ) because there's a good chance no matter how private everything is, people will still be able to see things on you post there.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

The thing is, some of this info you can just not add. But a lot of it is collected and used automatically without any choice by you.

Right!! And that is very concerning.

I'm considering getting off of it myself.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Just unlike everything (movies, books, music, ect). Then, you can dig real deep into the settings and find what marketing "tags" facebook is using to show you advertisements. You can delete them. There you go, clean feed showing you only what your friends are posting/sharing.

It'll keep adding them though...anything you click on inside facebook can be turned into a potential marketing "interest". It is what it is, and facebook is free so...?

It's easy to demonize facebook -- but it's a voluntary thing, and it only abuses the information you allow it to have.
edit on 29-2-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Ah! I am a Taurus, too, and they found me here with your post!

No, really, the facebook algorithms are unsettling.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Don't know and don't care!
Grins!!

I personally have the dullest FB page EVER! Unless you like reading science PDF's and are interested in the musk ox counts on Bank's Island. Of course the health of the various Caribou herds as well. Can't forget them!!

Figure it this way, if you pay taxes, have a drivers license, have been in the military, have store rewards cards or credit cards the ship has already sailed on your privacy. To think otherwise is just naive.

Anyone snooping on me is welcome to the snooze-fest!!
At least they'll get some education.

edited to add...OMG! you used your REAL birthday/name/whatever else real??? Are you SERIOUS????

edit on 29-2-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
edited to add...OMG! you used your REAL birthday/name/whatever else real??? Are you SERIOUS????

You know, Facebook had this thing back in 2010 where they would flag your name if it wasn't considered 'real'. They may actually still have that system in place where you actually have to PROVE your name by sending them a photo ID and a bill to your name.

It's wild.

But yeah, I didn't really care very much since I thought it would actually be private. I wasn't too concerned. I still really am not concerned. Big brother most likely already has all the information they need from me since I fill out applications online and buy good deals of eBay and Newegg

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Just unlike everything (movies, books, music, ect). Then, you can dig real deep into the settings and find what marketing "tags" facebook is using to show you advertisements. You can delete them. There you go, clean feed showing you only what your friends are posting/sharing.

It'll keep adding them though...anything you click on inside facebook can be turned into a potential marketing "interest". It is what it is, and facebook is free so...?

It's easy to demonize facebook -- but it's a voluntary thing, and it only abuses the information you allow it to have.

This is great input. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I don't give Facebook a second thought. I don't understand why I would need it, what I would use it for or why I would want an account.

It just seems...evil somehow.
edit on 2016/2/29 by Metallicus because: eta / changed

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

None of this is secret or a conspiracy.
When you sign up to use their services you give them permission to use your data, visibility of whatever to whoever is a completely different thing.

Really it comes down to this... if you don't consent, don't use their services.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Don't have FB, don't plan to ever have it.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yeah, been clearing out ridiculous adds it seems like forever!
Hahahahaha

On the happy side most of my favorite bands have Fb pages and shockingly lots of times the artist instead of a paid assistant answers their own FB. Plus I get new info quick like tour dates added.

There is a lot of good on FB as well. Shocking I know!!
In a shameless plug....Rock-Hounds is a nice bunch of professional miners and amateur rock-hounds spreading info on geology, some GIA information and they do packages of minerals and send them to kids. One member started a rockhounding thing for Veterans with PTSD as a sort of therapy.

Their information popping up in my news feed is both beautiful and educational.

I can't even imagine the knitting & crocheting pages!! I stay out of that lunacy....ROFL!! ( any reading knitters & hookers excepted of course!)

Your FB page will reflect what you put into it, just like Google search does. If you use it for junk, junk is what it will be. Most museums have FB pages now even the tiny regional ones, universities and you can do virtual tours of their exhibits. FREE!!! Plus dig thru their archives!!

WHOO-HOO!!!!!

FB is just a tool, it's how you use it that defines the experience.

edit on 29-2-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
If you access Facebook on Android, I suggest you use Tinfoil (I know, lol). Its the only way I can get what my local breweries have on-tap. You could technically install Android in the form of Remix OS. Replace your existing OS or dual boot, your choice.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
I have an old employer pop up under the people I may know section all the time. I used a different email in communication with him than I use for facebook, have never searched for him, never logged into facebook while in the same vicinity as him, never listed him as an employer. As far as I know, facebook should have zero way of connecting me to this person at all yet it does.

The only thing I can think of is that he must have searched for me at some point.

I do know it will automatically suggest people to you with if you've logged in using the same network or computer as them, if you've logged in within a certain distance of them, if you live nearby them, if you've ever attended any of the same schools.

Personally I only put things on facebook I wouldn't mind a stranger finding out (which isn't much, I use facebook as an address book for people I don't have another way to contact ) because there's a good chance no matter how private everything is, people will still be able to see things on you post there.

Facebook shares info with twitter, linkedin, google, yahoo and almost any other entity you can think of. I figured it was bad, when they asked me to link my cell phone number to my facefart account, and it was the right number which is not on the internet ANYWHERE (and I don't use my real name on facefart or the internet). Then when they started asking me if I knew myself by my real name, that was it. These f&^%^&%king people are creepy, serious creepy. But it just let's you know how much the gubermint has on everybody, metadata, BS.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
i always assume it's all viewable somehow. i talk mainly trash and gossip on FB so meh. enjoy.

ps. - pisces (coincidentally partner to a taurus, for 28 years and counting)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join