It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Super lice’ outbreak hits 25 states

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Lice come and go, but they get a lot harder to get to go when they've all adapted to be resistant to the most common (and cost effective) treatments against them.

There were two kids in our neighborhood who had rampant lice and the parents did nothing about them until the school forced them to in the fall. That means for an entire summer, every kid who played with them was constantly picking up head lice. My sister came down with them twice.

Now imagine that problem when the medication doesn't work ...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wet combing (I lathered my girls' damp hair with conditioner) and using a quality nit comb. Then going through the entire head, small sections, and picking all the eggs. After a few times through, you can get them all. A head lamp is very handy to shine on the head! I also utilized coconut oil treatments, minimum of 8 hours, to smother anything alive. I was able to eradicate lice on my kids, and I (somehow) wet combed my own hair enough to get rid of anything I may have had. It was horrendous and tedious, but I didn't have to use anything toxic, or that the bugs may have a tolerance to.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Where are the animal rights whackos defending these creatures right to their natural habitat?

Shouldn't they be offering up their bodies as "sanctuaries" for these poor maligned creatures?

edit on 27-2-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I never even heard the term "lice" when I was in
school. Guess I was lucky. Wonder if there is a
difference between going to a city school or a
county out in the country?

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: xuenchen

Honestly, when I saw it was you who posted this? I half expected your thread to be how the Democrats or Obama somehow conspired to send "super lice" to Trump in an attempt to cause scratching and mess up his hair or something. LOL LOL LOL.

On to lice...

I can remember in school the dread and terror we'd all feel as kids when someone got sent home with lice. They'd instantly become a social pariah overnight. NO ONE wanted to get lice. Kids who normally weren't that clean acted as if ebola had been released in the classroom.

My mother taught 4th grade for 20+ years, and apparently it still makes the rounds every now and then...pink eye too, that was another nasty one no one wanted to get.

Those and the dreaded cold sores.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ektar

No. Not really. All it takes is for a kid to pick them up. The only difference is that a country school tends to be a bit more isolated, so the odds of having lice move might be reduced some because the kids aren't as likely to be exposed. But once you get one kid with them, then they will still spread around.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ok hands up all those who are scratching their heads!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Soon we will be returning to the days of the 'Kerosene Hat'.

Sometimes old cures work best.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
They hate dirty heads, and they dont like male heads so much. When my kids got them from school so did mum, but they didn't bother me at all, obviously my dirty head was too much for them too handle

As many have already mentioned, Teatree and coconut oil sorts the blighters out. Cover head copiously with them, wrap up in a towel, and leave as long as you can bare.

As for all the idea's about attacking sofas and cushions with flame throwers, its not needed, the creepy crawlies are so well adapted to the head they die very quickly when not on one.

edit on 27-2-2016 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Old cures work best because the new ones either give rats cancer or kill the birds.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I'd be fit to be tied. If I can't wash my hair, I can't sleep. My head starts to itch and it keeps me awake.

When I got my hair permed and had to leave it for two days, I was about to die by the time the second day was done.
edit on 27-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In this day and age of medical advancement, why does this happen?

It's called evolution.

It's the same principle as antibiotic resistant bacteria.

One day, perhaps sooner than later a treatment resistant superbug will adapt, mutate (evolve) enough to become a real extinction level event.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly was thinking the same thing...I went
to a county school in the country. I cannot
imagine how horrible it is to constantly itch
& getting sores.

I'm enjoying all the home remedy solutions.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Normally I agree with the things you say...

But that is not evolution... it's horizontal gene transfer...
. By using a built-in design feature to swap DNA (called horizontal gene transfer)—bacteria share resistance genes.

books.google.ca...=one page&q=horizontal%20gene%20transfer&f=false
edit on 27-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: add source

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Incidents of body lice, scabies, bed bugs and crabs have increased dramatically over the past decade and I believe it is related to the growing number of illegals being allowed in our country. Even have seen on the news were bed bugs are a problem with a few hotels in Las Vegas.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Yes, antibiotic resistance is transferred. Which results in antibiotic resistant bacteria because they are the ones which survive.

How is gene transfer not an aspect of evolution?
edit on 2/27/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

It's inherent it's built in and not a mutation...
The ability to swap DNA is preexisting...
It's not evolution they don't become something else...
When a chameleon changes color are they evolving or using an ability?
edit on 27-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle

Or the alternative is that the ability to "evolve" was built-in.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Ok hands up all those who are scratching their heads!!!

You realize why wigs were invented in the 1600's. One shaved one's head and wore a hair appliance. What were the answers to missing or failing teeth?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle

The ability to swap DNA is preexisting...

Any change in DNA or chromosomal structure is a mutation.
edit on 2/27/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join