It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Super lice’ outbreak hits 25 states

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Seems there's a big problem in the U.S. with lice.

Apparently some strains are getting more resistive to some expensive treatments.

Looks like 25 States are the ones having a problem, but we don't seem to see exactly where in those States.

In this day and age of medical advancement, why does this happen?

‘Super lice’ outbreak hits 25 states

A strain of so-called ‘super lice’ has hit a reported 25 states, causing concern and frustration among parents because the bugs can’t be killed with most over-the-counter treatments. The treatments, known as pyrethroids, had a 100 percent success rate in 2000 against lice but now only work in 25 percent of cases, KSDK.com reported.

A new FDA-approved treatment called AirAlle, which was developed by Lice Clinics of America, has been found to be effective against the super lice, with treatments costing about $170.

“We use heated air, and we dehydrate the lice and the eggs in a single treatment,” Claire Roberts, CEO of Lice Clinics America, told KSDK.com. “It takes about an hour, and we guarantee it.”

Yuk.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

In this day and age of medical advancement, why does this happen?

It's called evolution.
It's the same principle as antibiotic resistant bacteria.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

After being out of elementary school for some time (but not acting that way) I just recently learned that every time we had a 'routine' class check up for lice it meant someone(s) actually had lice and they wanted to see how far it may have spread.

I guess now, with this strain, it would be kind of obvious who the people were.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
170 bucks a pop adds up to billions of dollars in a short time....
I seriously would NOT put it past the peoplewho sell the cures to somehow surrepticiously provide the plagues as well....just me, I guess,....

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
OK I have the answer, after fighting with this problem with my youngest, I started to wonder why the teachers never or seldom got them.

So first of all I stopped with the chemicals and used Vaseline, that smothered them,

Heat, teachers usually use blow dryers and curling irons,

Hair spray, lice love clean hair, they wont like the sticky spray.

An Iron, I heated up an iron and ironed everything from the sofa to mattresses, to the car seats.

Get rid of the stuffed animals or store them in sealed tight plastic bag for a while , or put everything in the dryer, that you cannot wash.

Vacuuming

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I pretty sure fire works.

Then you can resale as chapulines.

ay ay.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yes kuti hate dirty hair. We use coconut oil and leave conditioner. Also a hair straightener as close to the skull as kids can handle. There is constant kuti at my daughter school I am sure there is a mothership child who never gets rid of them and keeps spreading.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

This super lice should be officially called "Undocumented lice." That would about cover the whole situation.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Tea Tree and olive oil, leave on 30 minutes, never miss combing. Then add tea tree oil to regular shampoo for jumpers. Tea tree oil is 100per cent killer of adults and eggs. And natural, good for scalp and hair. When you smell it, you will know why.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Cheap solution shave off hair, no more lice.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
Cheap solution shave off hair, no more lice.

true, if you are male

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Shave all the apes..!!

Then shooting them into space (a la Fight Club) is the logical followup, but we'll stick to the shaving for now as THE answer to the universal lice question.

eta: and the folly of not reading the whole thread shows ... as info above beat me to it, but I at least added an homage ... so it goes...
edit on 2/27/2016 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Honestly, when I saw it was you who posted this? I half expected your thread to be how the Democrats or Obama somehow conspired to send "super lice" to Trump in an attempt to cause scratching and mess up his hair or something. LOL LOL LOL.

On to lice...

I can remember in school the dread and terror we'd all feel as kids when someone got sent home with lice. They'd instantly become a social pariah overnight. NO ONE wanted to get lice. Kids who normally weren't that clean acted as if ebola had been released in the classroom.

My mother taught 4th grade for 20+ years, and apparently it still makes the rounds every now and then...pink eye too, that was another nasty one no one wanted to get.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Bleach bath.

Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Honestly, when I saw it was you who posted this? I half expected your thread to be how the Democrats or Obama somehow conspired to send "super lice" to Trump in an attempt to cause scratching and mess up his hair or something. LOL LOL LOL.

Well actually I did think about the Trump angle !!!!

I would have put the blame on Hillary or Cruz, or Rubio deep cover operatives however.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Super lice is Bush's fault. If Bush had waged a war on lice, this wouldn't be a problem today.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

I use a tea tree conditioner, freaking love that stuff.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I go Rubio *rubs chin* ... he and Trump have the best hair out of ALL the candidates....

Although, a crunchy-granola-hippy supporter of Sanders might have found a super lice strain at Burning Man or a Rainbow festival...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I know they have them in Missouri because they were talking about one school district's policy of letting children come back to school with nits and eggs in their hair. Parents, understandably, were not happy about that. You have the super lice and then you let the kids come with nits and eggs?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If you get them drunk they pass out and fall off easily. They can't handle scotch at all.

Stick a little spider in your hair. Make sure not to tell the wife.
edit on 27-2-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join