It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexicans don't like Americans ok...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Yeah, I understand it, but there are many differences. In fact, I've heard more than one Brit comment on how bastardized America's usage of English is. Many of the words have entirely different meanings, and certainly the spelling differences are vast.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Your Mexicans arent like our Mexicans.

Keep your cholo troll gangbangers and refrain from comparing them to our like minded neighbors in the east.

I only see hard working slobs like me getting the short end of the stick like me.

edit on 2 25 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

This happens in any language but it does not make it a different language, Spanish in Venezuela is the same Spanish than in Spain even as Venezuelans have some 50-150k more words and some common words have different meaning.

Although if you listen to some Texans or deep south folks you would truly believe they speak another language

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I used to run T-Mobile' prepaid Spanish and postpaid Spanish activations queues (before they were outsourced to a split allocation to Arizona and Panama in 2007). A major issue for us was the Spanish our local spoke. A fairly isolated part of the world, from a spanish etymology standpoint. Vocal trends passed this area over for a few generations, to a degree that our "native spanish speakers" would be made fun of by various latins.

The worst was Puerto Rico and the Dominican. They speak insanely fast compared to local West Texan folks. It usually took a month or two for new hires to be able to keep up with the callers.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Most 1st generation European immigrants didn't learn the English language. Their children learned it. My grandparents came from Italy, and only spoke a few words. Their children are the ones who learned how to speak both English and Italian. They would interpret a lot of English information for their parents. Heck, my grandmother could never understand me, lol.

I know a lot of my Mexican students had parents that couldn't speak English. As for my Mexican students, the majority of them were the friendliest and hardest working students in my class! I also had the pleasure of having the brightest student I had in all my 22 years of teaching. She was a Mexican girl who ended up graduating as the valedictorian of our high school!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

There is also cultural and ethnic diversity in Mexico, I'm speaking mostly about the more northern I digenous population.

I agree my family came from Norway in the early 1800's and then the other half came from Ireland in the late 1890's.

I don't think they hated our culture and wanted to assimilate our country back into Mexico though.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Oh you must do something physical because all physical work is unskilled.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

English is not equal to ESL. English teaches English speakers how to write like ee cummings. ESL teaches non English speakers how to order a burger with fries in English.

Our education in English would be more appropriately called "Grammar and Language Arts". Its for advanced English speakers (i.e., native speakers).

All of that aside...America has no official language.

From my perspective: my wifes family predates Texas independance. They've been in the Pandhandle for 3 generations, moving up from the Valley (near Hondo) from sevral before that. Some of her ancestors fought for independence in the Texas War of Independence.

They learned to speak spanish under Spanish colonialism, having their culture and history raped and stripped from them once already. Like all Mexicans, and all latin Americans did. You see what happened if you didn't abandon your tribal lifestyle....you got put on a death march to unusable land. So they had their culture stripped and replaced with a Spanish catholic culture.

But even with that....what about the people in Texas who only speak German? Or German and Spanish? We have no shortage of them, either. Both established in our state several generations ago as well? Should they be forced to learn English? They aren't American enough, living within our nation for more than 3 generations?

What happens in 200 years, after America is a Spanish speaking nation, and the Burd family comes walking out of the Alaskan wild speaking only English (but still having a taste for Enchiladas Montadas)?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's possible they are more distrustful than hateful. They don't hate Americans, but do want to be treated with some basic respect.

In my understanding and experience (I could be very wrong), it is easier for consequent generations to learn the language and fully assimilate into the new country. Not that it's impossible, but easier. They are still deeply rooted into their origins.
edit on 25-2-2016 by PhantomOrion because: Added more words.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomOrion

That may be true I haven't ruled it out.

I get they want to be respected. My main issue with immigration from Mexico and other Latin countries is their willingness to work for less money. I want them to come here and demand be same wage we do.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
What happens in 200 years, after America is a Spanish speaking nation, and the Burd family comes walking out of the Alaskan wild speaking only English (but still having a taste for Enchiladas Montadas)?

My spirit rises up out of Hell and commands them back into the frozen wilderness where we belong (and demands that they start making offerings of enchiladas to me weekly).

The funny thing here is that I speak Spanish (border talk) and my kids are slowly learning it. I understand/speak/read several languages (Spanish, Russian, some phonetic Japanese), I just feel like English was, and should continue to be, the common tongue in America.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

There's a difference between learning a language and hating people of this nation because they are white or black or because they believe in some La Raza movement.

This isn't all of them but there's a lot.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Just curious, those people that speak German in Texas are they related to Chihuahuas 'Menonitas' ?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Wrong, We did not steal anything, that is a lie. Mexico sold us the land in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which was signed in 1848. Nice try though. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
To me, the issue is much more about respect, humility and graciousness than it is about language. If somebody doesn't want to learn English here, that's their choice. I guess you don't need to know the language if all youre gonna do is pick lettuce and strawberries. Its ridiculous that I have to press a button for English at the ATM, though. Let the Spanish speakers push the button, I'm cool with that. This is America and the default language on everything should be English. If you don't feel like learning the language here, you can press one for Spanish. Why do I have to press a button because illegals don't want to educate themselves on the language of the country they are squatting in?
I have a problem with people who come from a crap hole and come to this country illegally and try to turn it into another crap hole. If I was trespassing, I'd be as polite, humble and respectful as I could possibly be. I damn sure wouldn't act proud and arrogant. Now, I know that not all illegal immigrants act this way and I shouldn't throw them all in the same category. However, all I can speak from is personal experience. I find it odd that these people have so much pride for their home country and so much disdain for the U.S. when the whole reason theyre here is because their homeland is poverty stricken, with little hope to live above the poverty line. They should be thankful to be here and respectful of the Red, White and Blue. If not, hasta la vista baby, adios amigo!
edit on 2 25 2016 by Tuomptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

This happens in any language but it does not make it a different language, Spanish in Venezuela is the same Spanish than in Spain even as Venezuelans have some 50-150k more words and some common words have different meaning.

I'd argue that Spanish, Spanglish, and English are three entirely different languages. I grew up around Spanglish speakers and picked the language up fairly well, that said even my friends who were fluent in border Spanish had difficulty understanding their grandparents who spoke Castillian Spanish. Similarly, you stick a Cajun, a Newfie, and a Frenchman in a room together and *maybe* the Cajun and Newfie will be able to communicate adequately with each other, but the damn Frenchman will be utterly lost.

My ancestors would have spoken the Nordic languages, which were largely just regional dialects, but are presently considered different languages. If not for global travel and the ease of communications we've seen evolve over the past 100 years, there'd likely be a future split of even America based on regional dialects becoming considered their own language in the future.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation
Wrong deuce see: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Whatmatters
Marica (now I know where that came from LoLo )

'Mira' means 'look' in slang and is a way of getting someone's attention, like 'hey'.

Mira isn't slang, just imperative of mirar=to look.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
When you work two jobs it's hard to learn a new language at the same time. My parents was the same, and I am not Mexican. And when you say you asses this, perhaps they don't like you. That doesn't mean they don't like other Americans. With a post like this, one can wonder, why they don't like you, as an American.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

This is due to having very low morals and standards, and it really isn't subject to Mexicans, but to all peoples everywhere.. We just hear about it being Mexicans more because they are close by and our nearest source of self entitled immigrants and desperate to get away from Mexico. The average American is against anchor babies and seeing immigrants get so much without doing anything for it and will vote against things that continue that, so that's the reason for the animosity towards Americans. Always looking gift horses in the mouth is what people of low moral standards do. Not all Mexicans think like that, and a majority of Americans are the same way which is why this country is the liberty losing toilet it has become.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join