It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What doesn't kill you... doesn't make you stronger.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Another poster says, "people can't admit to weakness," and then you just spent five paragraphs talking about how things aren't a weakness... lol. You just did that, yeah.

So, what's a weakness?

But I get the gist of what you're sayin. Basically, it's what I explained prior. People will carry on and strive to live no matter what condition they find themselves in. Even if the conditions are really awful. People are very resilient indeed. And I suspect it has something to do with our basic survival instinct. If the basic instinct and drive to live and survive is strength to you, then giving up the ghost would be a weakness?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
It's just meat and ion channels.

I really like your meat and ion channels.

Also I'd like to thank you all for your amazing contributions. I'm feeling very loving. I love you all. Thank you.
edit on 7-2-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

She is not weak but with the correct science her suffering would not be since humanity would have focused on the right things and innovated the correct solutions.

Where is the real push in quantum biology?

When will scientist stop wasting time and put more resources on microtubules and how they are effected by sound.
www.quantumconsciousness.org...

Ultrasound (US) consists of mechanical oscillations, e.g. in MHz. ‘Transcranial ultrasound’ (‘TUS’) passes low intensity, sub-thermal US through the skull into the brain, safely and painlessly. In clinical trials, TUS improves human mood and cognition, and in lab studies megahertz stimulation promotes microtubule assembly.

When will scientist understand the placebo effect and utilize it to max the possibility of a body self healing?

When will scientist solve the mystery of energetic body state and be able to make anyone experience it?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

But your direction feels dangerous here because... if we can just heal, then it's ok to just let it break? Like, "oh, now that we can treat this broken bone and make it better then it's totally ok to keep on breaking it, cause it'll just get fixed."

This is kind of the inadvertent, underlying theme that runs through those trains of thought. In the end, we shouldn't even be getting to the breaking point- and that's what I mentioned earlier in the thread when I talked about the difference between treating symptoms... and preventing those symptoms from ever arising.

Just because we can take medication for the pain, it doesn't mean we should subject ourselves to pain or accept a painful state... does that make it clearer? So do we just continue to treat ourselves, or should we literally change our environment so that we prevent those symptoms from ever forming altogether?

Something about your post triggered this response.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

The legs are all full of fluid, because she cannot move around freely, because her back is screwed. She needs a new spine.

But in essence you are right, there are solutions to some physical disabilities, which need to be taken up with the greatest possible speed and spread!
edit on 7-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Strong people die all the time. Giving up the ghost before you are dead though? Seems a little wasteful, given that there will always be someone having a worse day than you are, but enjoying themselves immensely nonetheless. Now, I might never have met that person, the one who is having a worse day than you, but enjoying themselves anyway, but I know that they exist, because statistically, they must.

Look at what it is possible to do, even with a broken body! Hawking, had his mobility, from the ability to walk, to the ability to communicate verbally stolen from him by a quirk of genetics. He also stuck the foot of his mind, into the butt of the universe and helped shape our understanding as a species, of the fundamentals of how our universe goes together.

He is an off the top of my head example, from the field in which I am most interested. Look into sports, politics, any sphere of life, and you will find someone overcoming limitations placed upon them by any number of things, from the code in their DNA to war wounds, from cancer to knife blades.

It is not that giving up makes a person weak. It just makes them dead much faster than they would be otherwise, in my experience. Strength and surviving are products of one another, a self sustaining system, which, barring interference from sources of immediate lethal harm, like bullets, bombs and the like, promotes the growth of both ones strength, and ones ability to survive. Both start, and end, in the mind.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I generally agree with this statement, with one possible exception surrounding this comment:

Just because we can take medication for the pain, it doesn't mean we should subject ourselves to pain or accept a painful state... does that make it clearer?

There's a subtle difference between a painful state and a harmful one. Pain isn't necessarily something to be avoided. Sometimes we have to feel the pain and process it to heal. For example, you might need to re-break a bone to set it properly.

Harm, on the other hand, is something else entirely. To use your analogy...I wouldn't keep perpetually breaking my bones to teach myself to NOT do the action that keeps leading to breaking bones.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You need to take up deer hunting. When you see a buck out in the woods, you picture someone's face on it and shoot it. Now during a year you encounter more than one person who pisses you off so put the second person's face on the second shot. Just make sure you have lots of bullets.

In the end, you might not have much deer meat to eat without lead in it but you sure are relaxed. Plan on hunting every year and you know you will be able to take out your stress every year. If you do not like killing animals just shoot a tree.

I never did that

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What doesn't kill you .. will make you mad as hell

Or appreciative..
edit on 8-2-2016 by Gabriel69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
nailed it! there is no deeper meaning to that saying than a physical injury will make you physically stronger.

Actually... I have done some weight lifting and jogging these last few months (I stopped smoking for 4 months). And I saw my muscles grow(mainly torso, back and arms), and usually people think it's a given that muscles grow when doing exercises of that kind. So I wanted to know more, I wanted to know exactly why muscles grow when you do weight lifting and why muscles hurt. And the answer is : when doing weight lifting or push-ups, muscles are being physically injured, some muscle fibers are destroyed and this is why it hurts, then the body reacts and it builds the muscle back, but not only it builds it back but it adds to it new fibers, and this is why the muscle grows. It's as if the body said to itself "wow what was that, we need to make sure we're ready in case that happens again". This is also why you have to use weights that are just heavy enough that your muscle gets destroyed a bit, and keep adding more weight as time passes, otherwise the muscle wouldn't grow. Having bigger muscles is also good for losing fat, because even when you're idle your metabolism is accelerated, so you lose fat while reading a book lying on a couch.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
Souls should not have to go thru Amygdala fear overload just to find peace of mind so that the body start to bliss.

This is spot on.

Great suffering does NOT equal or precede enlightenment.

This popular notion is evil in it's inadvertent justification of toxic behaviors.
This popular notion actually aids a person in loving their toxic environment and loving their abuse. It is just another means to make sense of something that doesn't make sense (great suffering). It's twisted, and it's wrong, and it, too, inadvertently justifies and tolerates toxic behavior.

You do not need to experience something to know that it's wrong.
You do not need to suffer to know what's right.

Have you ever watched the French movie "Martyrs" ? I wont spoil it here but you should watch it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Well if that's the case, then there cannot be a retort to this sentiment - I'm broken/opressed I should just kill myself.

Viktor frankl someone has addressed this idea and has seen the deepest darkest realms of human despair a victim and survivor of the holocaust, has this to say about it - " Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life; to life he can only respond by being responsible"

If we want to be victims and wallow in our misery, and say we are broken and that no good can come once broken, or from the damaged ,then we are submitting to nihilism, and I cannot nor will I follow you there. triumph over adversity, this is the story of human kind , what doesn't kill us doesn't make us stronger, nor weaker ,we choose what we do with our past experiences and how we put that into practical application that can benifit our lives and those around us.Orwe don't and we stagnate in misery and wait for our turn in wooden eternity. Remember it's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

When you lift weights you put stress upon the muscles and bones of your body. When your body repairs itself, it builds itself stronger. The same with stress. If you undergo tremendous stress, your body adapts and is better able to clear stress hormones and chemicals from your body when the stress is relieved.

Just like any drug, your body builds up a tolerance. Obviously being under constant stress 24/7/365 is not going to be good for you. If you are able to alternate between brief periods of high stress with long stretches of low stress, you can probably build up a tolerance.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Not to sure on that. Because sometimes it does, and what does not kill you sometimes makes you stronger.

But for the most part, and for most people, what does not kill them usually and generally leaves them crippled, or with more issues then they started to begin with. So yes! You are for the most and likely greater part correct.

I suppose I could say more, but I think I said enough on this topic above.

And well if your interested there is always this thread on the same topic.
ATS! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. True or false?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I am not going into why I know this is true but just to say this is an absolutely brilliant observation and reflects my understanding exactly.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Hey man leave them trees alone. Use a target, its what there for. Once in a while you may miss the target and hit a tree. But it happens. Also you should never play with your food, its just bad manners. We should not be encouraging bad manner now should we?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality
Yes. And Viktor frankl would not be singing a different song or story if things would have been a bit different for him. You know why? Because he would be quite dead indeed and being dead would not be able or have an opinion on the matter.

If anything and he did survive the holocaust, that can be attributed more to luck and being in the right place in that wrong time of an era, then it can be attributed to anything else. I mean would be kind of hard breaking out of armed camps running miles from armed and vehicles assailants, or out of an oven while your practically starved malnutrition and weak as a kitten now wouldn't it?

Not that I don't agree with you, because in some ways, in fact in many ways your right. But in other's nah! And sometimes there is no middle ground, and if there is a middle ground? Congratulations, your one of the lucky few. What your talking about would basically be spots on your apples, compared to getting your hands ripped off while trying to eat an apple....Just depends you know. There are as many circumstances out there as there are people...And then some.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The middle ground...Cant all be bubble boy here living life stress free, as if such a thing were possible. But the alternative is may just be a different kind of worse.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
There is healthy stress ie. what i HAVE to do to tomorrow to be able to survive, unhealthy stress ie. Worrying about things that could possibly happen and trying to minimize the fallout by thinking you will be prepared although this scenario might never even take place... And them there is trauma.. Trauma screws you up for a long time.. there are scars we carry with us for all of eternity, experiences which wreck us as humans and changes us for very long times.. We do not have control over these and they can cause us so much unhealthy stress.

I wish there was an easy way to let go of trauma, some way to just say "it happened, lets get over this and learn from it" but if live were that simple happiness would be in abundance.

We need to start realizing that many humans have been broken by society, other humans and themselves. If there was some way to instantly heal the broken parts inside of us and never look back, everyone would be doing it.

But most of us never share the pain and experience that dwell within our souls. We are to afraid to open up and carry huge burdens on our shoulders. The weight on my back can be lighter on some days and crush me on others.

Some things we will never forget, some things we will never move on from. The past is the past, but it can affect so much within us at the present.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I must say I agree with True Brit; I do feel at my age, my difficulties, sad times, ups, downs, raising children, divorce, serious illness that I am the whole sum of all these parts. I have learned each time a little so that I am not always in complete surprise when the next obstacle or wonderful thing occurs. As my mind and spirit continue to encounter I grow a bit from the previous so I am better able to mentally and physically handle it; not always, but better most times. I know I would not care to go back to my twenties and do it all again-I don't want to lose all those lessons. I am definitely stronger in every way than I was then. So, really I do feel stronger in every way so I am able to support and help those learning the same lessons I did even as those who helped me in the past. And, as a side note, I have overwhelmingly learned compassion and empathy for others, taking my mind off myself, relieves my own sad times and makes me want to share my happy times with many. Just coping skills for myself, not necessarily for everyone-but it has worked for me.

edit on 8-2-2016 by Justso because: typos

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join