It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What doesn't kill you... doesn't make you stronger.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
To think so is fubar, insofar that it actually excuses negative and toxic human behavior (by saying it was a blessing in disguise every time something bad happens, for example) and thus leads to the tolerance of such negative and toxic behaviors (now it's ok that bad things happened and will happen because something good comes out of it, for example).

Now consider this carefully because it's utterly important and pertinent to our very survival.

Stress hormones literally pull energy away from vital organs and the immune system in order to put energy into the muscles. This is the bodies way of preparing you for a fight or flight situation. This will leave your vital organs and immune system in a weakened, vulnerable state. However, it works out pretty well when and if you actually have to fight or flight, short term, in events which call for such a response. But what happens when you're stressed out over a longer period of time, without any actual flighting or fighting? Consider child abuse, for instance. Or even social pressures and financial stress. You can't exactly beat up the mortgage, punch your debt in the face, or physically flee from memories of your childhood (but if we could I think we would be better off, tbh).

The stresses of modern daily life often can't be battled physically. But the body doesn't know this because stress hormones will do what they do in preparing you and keeping you prepared for battle when there is no physical battle to fight. So when you're facing stress that can't be resolved with the literal fight or flight response, you get a weakened immune system for prolonged periods of time, instead, making you vulnerable to viruses and all kinds of other things. And I think it's pretty clear, by now, that specific long-term states of stress have a negative effect on the human body, so no. What doesn't kill does NOT make you stronger. It's preposterous to even think so. This thought-stopping cliche needs to be trampled out as far as I'm concerned... and maybe that's why I put some time into this wall of text.

I am fast-becoming a firm believer that extreme and prolonged stress will break a body, quite literally. It will NOT make you stronger. And I will never ever say that "it was a blessing in disguise." I will never be thankful for what happened to me. I have found that the knowledge that I have gained from specific high-stress events has been utterly useless and unnecessary in regards to my personal health and prosperity. For example, I do not need to know what I now know in order to live a happy and healthy life, it was not needed for basic survival or even for my growth and development, and in fact it could have been(should have been) avoided entirely. It did not make me a better person. It did not make my body healthy. In fact, my body quite suddenly committed suicide on me in the form of a surprise auto-immune disorder. Everything I have gained from specific evils, I have found to be quite impertinent to my survival. I cannot stress just how unappreciative I am, it sucks and it didn't need to happen and nothing good came from it.

And there you have it, first hand experience which you will (and should) certainly question. But you'll find, I hope, that our bodies make the rules. I certainly didn't ask for these rules, I'm just sharing some of the ones I've learned... cause sharing is caring. And I'm alone and clearly reaching out. So in regards to my being a little bit of a troll? I promise I'm very human, but I can be playful if I dare say so. And to the question of whether or not I'm a total attention ____? Well, I probably am. But I know I'm not alone because if I qualify as one then I know there's quite a few others out there that also qualify, as well, as far as I can tell. Cause every time anyone posts, comments, or spends some time writing walls of text, they are undoubtedly asking for attention. And there's a lot of that going on around here.

Ok ATS, ty for understanding.

Now... please reinforce it or tear it down as you will. I look forward to it.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It is my view that adversity increases entropy. It seems to me that it should be our business to minimize entropy and thereby extend the operating range of the assigned bio-mechanical machine.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
I am fast-becoming a firm believer that extreme and prolonged stress will break a body, quite literally. It will NOT make you stronger.

Not to mention it's been proven to shorten your life span.

Prolonged stress serves no purpose but to kill you sooner.

I'm stuck in one of those prolonged periods myself recently. The best thing to do would be to find a non-destructive way to get your mind off of it. For me, I have a stress-free plan for the future, one that doesn't require money or society, by living off-grid. Stress, for me, is the constant fear that I won't be able to survive. Money is the reason for that, but if I'm living off-grid and growing my own food and making my own power, then money is of no concern. Sure, there will be different factors involved, but those I've faced before and they don't cause me stress.

I've noticed you've made similar topics for some time now. Just work on trying to find the best way to relieve yourself without damaging yourself.

At least you have me to talk to... and make you avatars

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
It is my view that adversity increases entropy. It seems to me that it should be our business to minimize entropy and thereby extend the operating range of the assigned bio-mechanical machine.

I completely agree. So much.

a reply to: Ghost147

Sorry to hear about your stressed out state. I'm into hearing about other people's lives so if you feel up to it, tell a gal about it and we can get deep about it, lol. And yeah, been working on relief myself. Part of it is the spontaneous vomiting of my thoughts and feelings seemingly randomly, here and there. There are recurring themes for sure.

I support your pursuit of happiness, lol. But I'm def married to the grid and advanced technology, because my life literally depends on it via the treatment of my auto-immune disease. So basically, I'm stuck on this boat and I'm all about keeping it floating, tbh, and even bettering its design. I'm beyond thankful of advanced technology, just not the particular events that lead to my particular dependency. I think that what happened to me could have been prevented and I know that living free of technology is better than what I am doing, because I've done both and I know both. And even though I'm thankful to be alive and I'm forever in debt to what keeps me alive, I'm still in favor of preventing total dependency on technology.

There's a big difference between treating symptoms and then getting to the root of a thing and preventing those symptoms from ever rising up. The latter requires a lot of change and should be our focus, but people don't like big change. So people fall for settling on the former, which requires smaller bits of change... but it's kinda like the frog in the pot of warm water that slowly heats up to boiling. The frog doesn't notice the small changes to it's own detriment.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
when i was younger sticks and stones could break my bones but words couldn't hurt me. sounds like more generation victim to me. i dont wish ill upon you though, feel better.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouiseI think that what happened to me could have been prevented and I know that living free of technology is better than what I am doing, because I've done both and I know both. And even though I'm thankful to be alive and I'm forever in debt to what keeps me alive, I'm still in favor of preventing total dependency on technology.

That's the thing though, the off-grid concept I'm designing incorporates modern living and technology, just off the power/water/waste grid of city/town living. But, I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

my flippant respomse to all who utter this :

" what doesnt kill you makes you stronger "

is simple :

so can i chop your arms and legs off - and see how strong it makes you ?

no takers so far

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
nailed it! there is no deeper meaning to that saying than a physical injury will make you physically stronger.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

my flippant respomse to all who utter this :

" what doesnt kill you makes you stronger "

is simple :

so can i chop your arms and legs off - and see how strong it makes you ?

no takers so far

Careful, some masochists might be into that.

You can definitely do that to me once we start integrating machinery and biology more effectively

After you're done I'd just be like:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I totally agree with you. It is a shame that in our economic , political and cultural system there is no real attempt at addressing the problem of stress and the damage it causes. Everything is made unnecessarily difficult and complicated when things could be much easier.

I sometimes joke that the two greatest killers are HMRC and red traffic lights. But it is true to an extent. Red traffic lights create a lot of stress on a daily basis whether you are on a train, bus, car . As fo HMRC (UK tax authority) and their nasty , sinister approach to collecting tax , they have quite a lot of heart attacks on their hands.

I think there should be an educational programme in schools and Govt. departments informing about stress and how not to generate unnecesssary pain and suffering unto others.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Strength is not just physical. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is in reference to MENTAL or SPIRITUAL strength. Not necessarily physical...

Think outside of the box.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think you are wrong. Adversity and challenge breeds self reliance and confidence. There is more to being strong than physical strength. The men I work with, say the only easy day was yesterday.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

I accept this challenge and I retort with a:

"Mental" is biological in nature. "Spiritual" is an imagined thing which is a mental construct, thus... it, too, is biological in nature. These things are very physical and affect your physical body. You have a body. You are your body.

So yes, strength IS physical.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

It's very important that I point out the difference between suffering unnecessarily, and then the process of creating something (whether that creation be a building, or a painting).

As an artist, I've had to start over projects and the entire process can be extremely trying. Failing, fixing, and facing your own error are just parts of the process and it can be painful. But this doesn't fit into the meme cliche because making art isn't threatening to hurt you- at least it's not often associated as such. This popular meme (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger) is often associated with heartbreak and other stressful events in our lives. Or, as one poster just mentioned, "spiritual" events in our lives... cause even the devil's gotta have a purpose. Right? Well, WRONG. Imo, at least.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I accept this challenge and I retort with a:

"Mental" is biological in nature. "Spiritual" is an imagined thing which is a mental construct, thus... it, too, is biological in nature. These things are very physical and affect your physical body. You have a body. You are your body.

So yes, strength IS physical.

I never said strength wasn't physical. I said the saying is in reference to mental or spiritual fortitude....both of which can have a physical impact on the body because it is the integrated nature of the mind-body connection.

The saying is about building emotional resiliency. Being able to realize that you have overcome a difficult, perhaps life changing, obstacle. It show that you possess a strength that you weren't aware that you had. It is meant to acknowledge an emotional accomplishment.

"At the heart of resilience is a belief in oneself—yet also a belief in something larger than oneself.

Resilient people do not let adversity define them. They find resilience by moving towards a goal beyond themselves, transcending pain and grief by perceiving bad times as a temporary state of affairs… It's possible to strengthen your inner self and your belief in yourself, to define yourself as capable and competent. It's possible to fortify your psyche. It's possible to develop a sense of mastery."

10 Traits of Emotionally Resilient People

So why is this important on a physical level? As I've already stated, because your emotional health can have an impact on your physical health... Something you've stated to a degree, but life is more than just the physical boundaries you operate in.

Positive thinking doesn't mean that you keep your head in the sand and ignore life's less pleasant situations. Positive thinking just means that you approach unpleasantness in a more positive and productive way. You think the best is going to happen, not the worst.

Health benefits that positive thinking may provide include:

Increased life span
Lower rates of depression
Lower levels of distress
Greater resistance to the common cold
Better psychological and physical well-being
Reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease
Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress

It's unclear why people who engage in positive thinking experience these health benefits. One theory is that having a positive outlook enables you to cope better with stressful situations, which reduces the harmful health effects of stress on your body.

Positive Thinking: Stop negative self talk to reduce stress

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I agree but I don't.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti.

We're in a bit of a trap.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I agree but I don't.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti.

How are you in a trap? Please further explain on your point... I'm interested to hear it.

I interpret the quote you posted to be more a statement about sociology than the topic of your post (What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger). The quote you posted is more a statement about all the other people around you who AREN'T psychologically strong, then about the individual who has emotional resilience. If that's also your interpretation, why blame the individual for the failures of others? If Person 'X' has no emotional resilience, that isn't a failure of ME as a person... I am not responsible for the choices of others...only myself. That doesn't mean I can't reach out to help that person...but I don't own their emotional well-being.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy

I agree but I don't.

How are you in a trap? Please further explain on your point... I'm interested to hear it.

I interpret the quote you posted to be more a statement about sociology than the topic of your post (What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger). The quote you posted is more a statement about all the other people around you who AREN'T psychologically strong, then about the individual who has emotional resilience. If that's also your interpretation, why blame the individual for the failures of others? If Person 'X' has no emotional resilience, that isn't a failure of ME as a person... I am not responsible for the choices of others...only myself. That doesn't mean I can't reach out to help that person...but I don't own their emotional well-being.

I really wanted to add to this thread. However, After reading ALL of your replies, IMHO your interpretation of the Nietzsche quote is the correct inferred intent. Cheers

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I cannot agree with you more.....

Everything you have said is unfortunately 'known' in todays society, but not acted upon....

I know for a fact! Take it from me, you are spot on!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
Strength is not just physical. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is in reference to MENTAL or SPIRITUAL strength. Not necessarily physical...

Think outside of the box.

I can agree that there are other strengths.

But just because a soul can evolve mentally and and increase awareness, do not excuse the insanity that people are put in. Souls should not have to go thru Amygdala fear overload just to find peace of mind so that the body start to bliss.

Introvert behavior is increased because humanity choose to allow the predatory behavior in society making some soul opt out from group interaction since the group is not measuring up. If humanity had perfected social ideas/culture, the suffering created by incompetence would not be allowed and people would become mental and spiritual stronger the gentle way instead of having to deal with the insane ones.

The divine got it right. Separate souls depending on behavior so the gentle ones do not have to deal with the insane ones that need timeout.
edit on 7-2-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join