It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to propose $10-a-barrel oil tax

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's not the fault of taxes. If they halved the tax on oil tomorrow, the price of gasoline wouldn't budge. Either that, or decrease disproportionate to the size of the cut.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234

originally posted by: ketsuko
What part of - The President has no power to impose new taxes - does he not understand?

That is the power of taxation lies solely in the House of Representatives.

What part of the national budget process don't you understand? The president makes a proposal to the congress, it's introduced by a member of the president's party and the House considers it.

How much more clear did the OP have to be?

resident Obama will propose a $10-a-barrel oil tax to fund an ambitious new transportation spending plan...

Maybe you're just being intentionally ignorant.

Conservatives act like Obama is a king and treat him like some sort of demi-God with a pen and phone...but then, nothing happens. Nothing changes. No one's life is directly impacted by these stories and yet...Obama is some sort of tyrant.

Then he must be an idiot to "propose" a $10 a barrel tax on oil that if approved, will never go away.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: EternalSolace

Or he sees that oil is at a low not seen since when, 2003? The tax would go to something that benefits us and we've become used to paying much higher oil prices. The tax won't break the bank. Of course, you accuse him of wanting to put us in the poor house.

Well, how long do you think it will stay low?

It seems to work out to 25 cents a gal of gas.

Does the tax have a sunset clause or a ceiling price of a barrel of oil?

And wth is he even suggesting it for if he has no chance of doing it?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

Thanks for that link.

I guess that's what i get for not reading the whole thread before I post.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The oil prices are ruled by markets speculators, these speculators are the ones that gamble on the future of prices on almost anything to manipulate the markets.

Yes it sounds illegal but like gambling is allowed so markets speculators.

Contract and agreements are signed and reached under this very debatable way of doing business, even if the proposed prices are set for a future that we don't even know about it.

These way of "market gambling" at the expenses of the consumers works perfect when we have a volatile artificial market.

The sad thing is that while oil companies has been gouging the consumer for years at a tune of trillions of dollars, they are also behind speculators and believe it or not these speculators hold about 80% of the markets turn around daily.

What that tells you.

edit on 7-2-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Not just gas going up but everything made from oil. Plastics , medicines and on and on and on.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
a reply to: EternalSolace

I have several posts commenting on the issue before I raised him being black as ''one'' reason why people hate him.

you've once again proven

'' typical ignorant American hysteria ''

you have all this information, yet you focus on the one tiny, trivial thing because it gets your point of view across.

Maybe Obama isn't the problem.. Maybe its just American society and some of the people in it? You want to burn it to the ground so you can blame the guy you dont like.

oh hell your right I'm probably wrong.. quick if your lucky you can still pickup that prescription for meds as you detour past McDonalds.. make sure you take your 453x ACR assault rifles and 32x handguns just incase you need to defend yourself. /s

They picked on that one phrase, because they didn't have an argument for the rest of the post. Honestly, whats wrong with calling him a black man? Is he not a black man? LOL

I honestly thought the liberals were the "PC" crowd? Must be opposite day again.
edit on 9-2-2016 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Absolute MORON.

The state already makes a killing off the the gas tax. That tax is levied on each and every gallon of gasoline sold in this country each, and every day of the year.

Obama should be taking advantage of low oil prices and add to the strategic reserve.

I doubt he is.

Obama's plan?

To make fossil fuels so expensive 'alternative' seems 'cheap'.

The king has no clue.
edit on 11-2-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: MALBOSIA

And when oil was $100 a gallon I was paying near $3.50 a gallon. As was most the United States... if not more. Now I'm paying $1.50 per gallon. So no, another tax on barrels of oil doesn't sit well; Especially when it's going to be used on garbage green projects that are destined to fail and line the pockets of even more garbage.

The only reason oil is cheap is because Saudi Arabia is flooding the market trying to kill off fracking.

It isn't going to last for ever.

Once oil gets back up to $100 per barrel that tax isn't going anywhere.

Which does get passed on down at the pump.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Will this fully bankrupt Russia?

How will they enforce this tax?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

No

That's why Russia is backing Iran and ramped up their Syrian action.

And sell oil to itself via the black market through Turkey.

Its all smoke and mirrors.
edit on 14-2-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join