It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahweh is not the Most High God, Israel in ancient Canaan and henotheism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7
Correct. But I have yet to find the name YHWH in the Canaanite pantheon, so I am almost certain he is Baal. Both translate into English as Lord. Baal zebub means lord of the flies etc...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

Oh, I highly differ in opinion, and I've been researching similarities and origins of religions and their gods for going on two decades now (not professionally, but as a hobby and high interest...it's what turned me away from religion, to be honest). But to each their own, as we'll never truly know until we can travel back in time and be contemporaries of that time period and those cultures.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I have Ass-mar, just like Piggy did.

Poor Piggy.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkeyThat's fascinating.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkeydiffer all you like, that's the point. The archeological evidence supports it. The different traditions of scripture support it. A properly translated bible even states it in the footnotes, see the Jerusalem bible.
Twenty years and you still can't see the obvious? That's odd, what the hell are you studying?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Yahweh in my opinion is the insubordinate child whereas Jesus is the subordinate one. They represent two sides of the same coin, the coin being God the Father.

Asherah is the consort of Yahweh, Mary Magdalene is the consort of Jesus. Asherah is the insubordinate daughter whereas Mary Magdalene is the subordinate one. They are two sides of another coin, and that coin is God the Mother.

Yahweh is the darker side of humanity, Jesus the lighter side. Asherah is the whore, Mary Magdalene the bride.

The OT and NT are diametrically opposed to one another, though both are still tools used by TPTB to blind the masses to the truth and make them complacent about world events.

The feminist approach to God.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayerYikes why bring feminism, a modern concept, into a discussion of ancient mythology? That's just unnecessary.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayerAre you a feminist?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Oh, I highly differ in opinion, and I've been researching similarities and origins of religions and their gods for going on two decades now (not professionally, but as a hobby and high interest...it's what turned me away from religion, to be honest). But to each their own, as we'll never truly know until we can travel back in time and be contemporaries of that time period and those cultures.

20 years research and no heavenly supernatural occurrence in your life? Then go back to the drawing board..... you are doing something wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360
a reply to: DeathSlayerYikes why bring feminism, a modern concept, into a discussion of ancient mythology? That's just unnecessary.

God the mother? Never heard of her except from feminist and Wiccans.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You guys may as well be making up stuff, its the same thing. All of the middle eastern religions are your best guess at deciphering.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayerThat was spot on. It takes very little time to learn something today if you know the right sites to go to and how to spo b.s. I am fascinated by, but don't believe in the supernatural. Some intelligent entities with unimaginable knowledge is not impossible, creation by intelligence makes more sense to me than life being a random event. Everything just happened, and theories like the big bang and evolution make life pointless and coincidental. To many things happen that if a slight variance occurs the world would end. We are literally so close to destruction but always the earth houses life. A force so strong organisms exist in extreme temperatures near volcanoes in the ocean.
A guy who I'm pretty sure was a respected scientist, either way he said it's more likely for an airplane to be built by a tornado passing through a junkyard than for the world to have come into existence by current scientific explanations. I had to paraphrase but not much and nothing that changes his message.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayerAsherah, the Godess mentioned, is from Canaanite mythology and thats like, 2000 b.c. roughly don't quote me but not related to wicca or witchcraft in any way.
Lilith of Talmud fame and Jewish oral tradition was Adam's first wife created from the earth same as Adam. She refused to lay on her back and wanted to be on top during sex and she rebelled against Adam, invoked the divine ineffible name and became the Succubus. She is held in high regard by some but mostly feared as the one responsible for infants deaths.
Wicca is Wal-Mart witchcraft.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

You have to look at ancient maps of the middle east to find where YHWH came from...

He/she/it is an ancient Canaanite god, but IF you find an early enough map of the area there used to be a country or state south of Jordan called YWH...

that is the source of said false god... named after the region where the Canaanites originated

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
Thanks, that's good info. That, I would say covers the source of the name which is great progress for the thread.
Now many of Yahweh's actions and his tales are also of Canaanite origin, mostly Baal, who is a real god in scripture. They took the Chaldean and Babylonian creation stories and rewrote them. And a later author added some accounts.
Yahweh was written in and Baal demoted to an idol. Many Canaanite and Babylonian gods and goddesses are mentioned in the Old Testament. Easter is Ishtar and so on so it survived into Christianity too. Pretty amazing how long these names have been around. Different languages of course but same meaning.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360
a reply to: BELIEVERpriestWell I am new, so forgive me. Unoriginal or not, it's true. What could be better news (Jesus aside) than the knowledge that we don't need to worship a "god" as cruel as Yahweh? A good God. People who would rather worship a war criminal (Yahweh) than the kind El Elyon confuse me. How is this bad news?

Sorry for the sarcasm. Anyways, Yhwah Elohim said "ehyeh asher ehyeh" or "I am that I am". Jesus emphatically stated, "Amein, I say to you, BEFORE ABRAHAM WAS, I AM!" Jesus is the unique hypostatic incarnation of Yhwah.
edit on 4-2-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

edit on 4-2-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: correction

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
20 years research and no heavenly supernatural occurrence in your life? Then go back to the drawing board..... you are doing something wrong.

See, I could claim the same for people who assume "heavenly supernatural occurrence(s)" can't have a natural explanation...but to each their own.

Funny thing is, I went back to the drawing board, and that's what gave me my current opinion on the matter.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest
Not nearly emphatic enough to refute henotheism in ancient Canaan which was before Yahweh was ever heard of. And even though they eventually became Yahwist they remained under El Elyon up until Persian/Grecian times. Somewhere in that period theologically they became the same and monotheism began to evolve with the concept of duality often discussed.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriestI will argue that no, Jesus was not the incarnation of, but the replacement for and no friend of, Yahweh. He could have meant many things when he said that, a reminder or maybe a notice that Yahweh was finished. I tell you for certain he never calls Yahweh his father. Total honesty his name was probably jeshua or yeshua which translates as Joshua not Jesus. The NT is suspect but El Elyon is Yeshua's Father and God. He says the Most High at least once I'm sure.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriestEven the name you used Yahweh-Elohim is completely made up. At one point in history the two were combined and voila: Yahweh-Elohim was born. Don't be fooled that Yahweh was or is the Most High God because it's deception. I hate being lied to. So I don't cling to untrue beliefs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join