It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahweh is not the Most High God, Israel in ancient Canaan and henotheism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

Simply wrong, My ancestors worshipped Yahweh,

Well before 8 bc the egyptian new kingdom heiroglyphic reference to the Land of the Shashu (Nomad's) of Yahweh is found.
www.biblearchaeology.org...
And though these modern revisionist archeaological scholars driven by a need to demolish the true history in favour of there own academic view of the past has made them put a later date than the bible and Judeo/Christian tradition does on the date of the worship of Yahweh they do find some interesting objects showing his worship also from far earlier than your post suggest's.
en.wikipedia.org...

Then you can also find Reference to Allah whom is not Yahweh in the babylonian cult's, he was a babylonian god of Chaos (enemy of the creator chaos is destruction or anti creation).
shoebat.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yahweh was a mentally defective extraterrestrial from an advanced civilization. Escaping from the cosmic equivalent of a penal institution, he venture off into the farthest reaches of the galaxy and found a suitable planet, third from a suitable star. On that planet he created a race of slave beings. He lives off their life force, their energy. Pain and misery are a delicacy.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767I previously explained Yahweh was not Allah, your thinking of someone else.
As far as Yahweh being El Elyon, no I am not simply wrong. El Elyon is pre Israel so it's actually impossible.
Yahweh was a late edition to Judaism, a wise man on this thread explained the origins of Yahwism.
With all respect to your ancestors I trust you that they worshipped Yahweh, but Yahweh is not/was not El Elyon.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

But Jesus' very name means 'salvation is in Yhwah'.

Yahoshua'-- Yah as in Yhwah.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: areyousirius360
a reply to: LABTECH767I previously explained Yahweh was not Allah, your thinking of someone else.
As far as Yahweh being El Elyon, no I am not simply wrong. El Elyon is pre Israel so it's actually impossible.
Yahweh was a late edition to Judaism, a wise man on this thread explained the origins of Yahwism.
With all respect to your ancestors I trust you that they worshipped Yahweh, but Yahweh is not/was not El Elyon.

YHWH and El both appear as names of God spread all through the Pentateuch. The concept that they were separate probably springs from the (IMHO) ridiculous documentary hypothesis.

If you read about the rediscovery of the Scrolls of the Law after the Babylonian/MedoPersian captivity, you would realize how sacrilegious the "editing" of the scrolls of the Torah would be. The DH proponents ascribe the "editing" to Ezra about that time, so go and read some of Ezra's writings to educate yourself instead of merely aping a discredited opinion.

The Torah text/s MUST have existed prior to the Babylonian exile because the text itself documents it. The text contains details that Ezra or any late Babylonian exile writer could not know and these details have been verified by archaeology.

Also, it isn't a simple tension between two 'God archetypes'. There are many "names of God" used in the Torah:

El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
El Elyon (The Most High God)
Adonai (Lord/s, Master/s)
YHWH (Lord)
YHWH Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
YHWH-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
YHWH Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
YHWH Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
El Olam (The Everlasting God)
Elohim (God/s)
Qanna (Jealous)
YHWH Jireh (In this place the Lord Will Provide)

The following are names of God which do not appear in the Torah:

YHWH Shalom
YHWH Sabaoth
YHWH Shammah
YHWH Tsidkenu

The fact that you believe that alternate names indicate different deities shows how little you know of actual textual criticism, Jewish culture, Jewish history, Jewish scribal traditions and, most importantly, the texts themselves.

edit on 4/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriestYeshua means Joshua not Jesus, and people can say his name means whatever, nobody can prove that. And I don't know what Joshua means but Yahweh is not ImmanuEL's( the name in the prophecy and Matthew I think). Personally I'd think if you're going to use that passage the least you could do is name him properly, and one account says his name is to be Immanuel.
And don't give me the it's a title routine, it's a name based on El.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
I Have the same list it means nothing. El Elyon or God Most High was originally believed to be Yahweh's Father as the bible makes clear ( see opening statement) and as backed up by Canaanite mythology and in the Ugaritic texts. El Elyon was God Most High before there WAS an Israel and they worshipped/believed in him until end of Babylonian captivity when they decided to merge the two.
I hate it if it bothers your faith but it's true and there is a great benefit from knowing this, you don't have to worship a heavenly war criminal, El Elyon is kind.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

a reply to: BELIEVERpriestYeshua means Joshua not Jesus, and people can say his name means whatever, nobody can prove that. And I don't know what Joshua means but Yahweh is not ImmanuEL's( the name in the prophecy and Matthew I think). Personally I'd think if you're going to use that passage the least you could do is name him properly, and one account says his name is to be Immanuel.

Joshua (Yehoshu'a) means: "YHWH is salvation".

Immanuel means "God (El) with us". It is used in Isaiah.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
You really gonna be that guy? I assure your "how little you know" remark applies to you if you think I am incorrect or uneducated on the subject. Insults are a sign of an angry christian, I'd lose that habit.
I'm sorry chief, you need to do some research, I've provided enough information. Any comments like yours, while welcome, come from a lack of information. Do your homework please.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
First it's spelled Isaiah, and wonderful, but El Elyon is ImmanuEL's Father and God.
Show me the word Yahweh in the new testament.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I love how you assume I don't know what Immanuel means, you actually think that helps your argument. It helps mine so thanks.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

First it's spelled Isaiah, and wonderful, but El Elyon is ImmanuEL's Father and God.

I've fixed my typo, thanks.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Zechariah 3:8

8‘Now listen, Joshua the high priest, you and your friends who are sitting in front of you—indeed they are men who are a symbol, for behold, I am going to bring in My servant the Branch. 9‘For behold, the stone that I have set before Joshua; on one stone are seven eyes. Behold, I will engrave an inscription on it,’ declares the LORD of hosts, ‘and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

Joshua is a TRANSLITERATION of Yehoshua, just as Jehovah is of Yhwah.

Hebrew names had clear meanings during the Biblical days. Denying a fact does not change its veracity.
edit on 4-2-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: added reference

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I love how you assume I don't know what Immanuel means, you actually think that helps your argument. It helps mine so thanks.

I was answering in that way because you explicitly said "And I don't know what Joshua means". I assumed that you were being literal.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

The New Testament was written in Greek (except, perhaps, Matthew) and when they quote the Old Testament, they are quoting the Septuagint, which is also a Greek translation (instances of YHWH were translated into Greek as Kyrios). The Masoretic text preserves the original Hebrew names. We know this primarily because of the DSS. Also, some early translations (into Greek) like Papyrus Fouad 266 & comparisons like Hexapla preserve the original Hebrew Tetragrammaton. So we can see how the translational change came about.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That's great. Thanks for the fascinating information. El Elyon is not Yahweh so it's not Greek I'm concerned with, but thank you.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm not concerned with his name, which really is ImmanuEL, but joshua is just a name, it doesn't really mean anything except what people say it does.
But El Elyon is not Yahweh, that I am certain of, and that's the real topic. Jesus is way later so we got sidetracked.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I'm not concerned with his name, which really is ImmanuEL, but joshua is just a name, it doesn't really mean anything except what people say it does.
But El Elyon is not Yahweh, that I am certain of, and that's the real topic. Jesus is way later so we got sidetracked.

Your OP said "It's believed the cult of Yahweh began around 8 b.c." which places it only eight years prior to Jesus birth. Perhaps you should edit the OP to add a couple of zero's?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

a reply to: BELIEVERpriestAnd Yahweh wasn't the original god of Israel. I don't know if he is even today. They call him Adonai which, like Baal, means lord.

Deut 6:4 Hear, Israel: Yhwah is our God; Yhwah is one:

As far back as Moses, Yhwah was acknowledged as the God of Israel.

Terms such as El, Adonai, Elohim, Yhwah, and even Eli are used to for one or more members of the Trinity. Judaism in its original faith was not monotheistic nor polytheistic, but Trinitarian.

edit on 4-2-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

lol get real brother...

there is no trinity in Ancient Israel beliefs...

The very idea was concocted by modern Trinitarian Christians

geez

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join