It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Sea Oil Decommissioning, 50 Oil And Gas Fields To Close

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is the vessel that may play a major role in decommissioning North Sea oil rigs.

But top advisers aren't 100% sure the vessel will be a success.

This will only happen however, if the Pioneering Spirit is a success and embraced by the industry, something that will be required before other SLVs are commissioned.
www.douglas-westwood.com...

I think the oil people are going to take their profits and disappear into the night, leaving the disintegrating infrastructure as someone else's problem.

Cut and run
Crippled by a high cost structure and a new low-price oil environment, once-fruitful wells are struggling to even turn a profit.

Oil service companies, meanwhile, are rushing to conduct what’s known as ‘late life’ asset work. For bigger names, major refurbishments and fading efficiencies are forcing them to begin decommissioning early.

Shell, for example, is about to close the book on its Brent dealings. Earlier this year, the firm sought approval to decommission platforms in an area that, since 1976, has been responsible for 10 percent of the region’s oil and gas supply, not to mention £20bn in tax revenue. At 450 miles off the coastline, the removal of the facility is no easy task, yet the project could set a benchmark for those seeking safe and responsible methods of winding down platforms and pipelines.

Indeed, the region as a whole could conceivably make a name for itself as a new global frontier for the successful management and removal of ageing oil and gas facilities. However, very few – if any – in the oil business are eyeing this distinction with any great interest. It seems the focus has fallen not on dismantlement, but on trimming the fat from bloated operations.
www.europeanceo.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Wave goodbye to the North Sea Oil Revenue that the case for Scotland's Independence relied on so heavily.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Oh, the Nationalists are now saying the North Sea Oil revenue didn't matter anyway. And wouldn't have made a significant contribution to iScotlands economy.

Which is just... a baffling contradition. If the sum's barely added up before. They surely cannot add up now.

Decommissioning of the oil fields does rather suggest BP think this low oil price is going to continue for years to come though. The North Sea oil was only profitable when the price was above $100.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Around 1980 I hitched a lift from Scotland to London. Halfway the driver admitted he was a coc aine dealer selling to the oil rig workers. He was doing regular runs from London to Aberdeen, dressed in tweeds, bearded and wearing glasses.

Recently the process by which coc aine shrinks the brain has been explained.

I've got a theory they spent the oil money on coc aine, their brains shrank, then they voted no.

Those that haven't shrunk their brains with coc aine will probably argue shutting down production now will save more oil and gas for the future, when an independent Scotland will have developed new recovery methods capable of draining the less accessible and smaller fields.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

It isn't just the low price, they've taken all the easy stuff, now it's more work for less oil.
edit on 2 2 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

There is plenty of gas still there in the bedrock, this closure is merely because of Opec effecting BP and Shell revenue as well as a result of selling off the national assets of the north sea to private investors in the 80's.

They will not re-open these oil field's as once they are closed as to get them back up and running would be too expensive and the removal and scrapping of these rig's will be a travesty.

These oil companys are profiteer's and the british in particular have suffered artificially high oil and gas prices as a result of there profiteering, they litterally keep full tankers off shore and wait for the price to rise to ridiculous level's before docking and unloading there cargo's.

Another argument for why we need Corbyn, cameron would never step in and stop this criminal activity but Corbyn would and would threaten these oil conglomerate with forced re-nationalization of these assets if they did not play ball fairly, this is simple sabotauge as the oil barons seek to restore there lost revenue by removing excess supply in order to drive up demand prices.

Thieves plain and simple.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Wave goodbye to the North Sea Oil Revenue that the case for Scotland's Independence relied on so heavily.

You really need to do a bit of fact checking before you spout this nonsense. No-one from the SNP or pro independence parties EVER claimed Scotland's economy would be reliant on North sea oil...What was said was that Scotland would create a Oil fund modeled on Norway's way of doing things. We have a economy outwith oil that is the envy of most countries in the world.

Gotta love this garbage. Whenever North sea oil is mentioned some trumpet jumps in with.. Scotland bad..Independence bad..as if the fall in Oil prices doesn't effect London...Trust me. It effects Westminster's ability to balance the books more than it does Scotland.

But feel free to try and score political points on the back of thousands losing there jobs...Clown.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I sincerely hope you weren't being serious with that comment?
Seeing as I was born and raised in the North East and work for the "Oil" companies, I find your comment quite disturbing.
If you were trying to be funny, then that is just as disturbing. Also discussing drugs is against the T&C's so your post has been reported.

You do realise that the oil industry is a highly skilled industry and some of the brightest people in the world work in the industry here? Sorry but your comments are an insult.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Well there are two possible scenarios, either Scotland can function successfully without oil revenue in which case independence or not should remain with democratic will of the people of Scotland.
Or a European country with highly educated work force, massive natural resources and speaking the culturally dominant language of the world somehow has been so badly run by a Westminster government (that cares for no where north of London) that it cant function the same way other similar sized countries do? In which case we should definitely go for independence before thing get any worse.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

This is the vessel that may play a major role in decommissioning North Sea oil rigs.

---

I think the oil people are going to take their profits and disappear into the night, leaving the disintegrating infrastructure as someone else's problem.

The actual ship in the video, (not the cgi) looks real enough. Why did you say it 'may' play a major role. Whats its purpose now?

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

I sincerely hope you weren't being serious with that comment?
Seeing as I was born and raised in the North East and work for the "Oil" companies, I find your comment quite disturbing.
If you were trying to be funny, then that is just as disturbing. Also discussing drugs is against the T&C's so your post has been reported.

You do realise that the oil industry is a highly skilled industry and some of the brightest people in the world work in the industry here? Sorry but your comments are an insult.

With three weeks on and three off and money coming out their ears are you trying to tell us that North Sea oil workers are immune to dabbling in some exotic dancing powders on their down time..?

Charlie stash found on Oil Rig
edit on 2-2-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

I met him. He said it.

I'm often rude about coc aine users. I have very good reasons.

You should know I'm the Ninian Central whistleblower. I have a lot of knowledge concerning the lies told about the Ninian. Highly skilled and bright perhaps, but morals and long term vision?

The Ninian was built on lies, don't tell me the oil industry is anywhere near the image it portrays.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
We're awe Doomed.. DOOMED ah tell ye..

DOOOOOMED

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There seems to be some uncertainty about whether it will really be practical.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Not at all, offshore workers only make up a small part of the oil industry here.
I know some of the people working offshore are drug and drink abusers but to tar the whole industry as drug abusers with small brains is taking it too far.

People reading his comments would give the wrong impression of an industry that is HIGHLY technical in nature & I had to defend it as I work in the industry. There are very talented people working in the North Sea oil sector.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

Not at all, offshore workers only make up a small part of the oil industry here.
I know some of the people working offshore are drug and drink abusers but to tar the whole industry as drug abusers with small brains is taking it too far.

People reading his comments would give the wrong impression of an industry that is HIGHLY technical in nature & I had to defend it as I work in the industry. There are very talented people working in the North Sea oil sector.

No doubt there are very talented people working in the oil industry, but Just like every other industry it has it's darker side. I know a guy who was welding on a rig whilst hearing jimmy Shand playing a jig through the pipe he was welding..severe DT's.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
In my view holding on to the oil revenue was the single biggest reason Westminster was so frantic to keep Scotland in the UK.

Without the flow of the black stuff maybe now they will cut us loose more easily. Even more so if Trident is scrapped which is looking more likely and another reason why Westminster wouldn't let us go.

The rape and pillage is reducing.

Anyone who says Scotland can't stand on it's own feet without oil is talking nonsense. Scotland has a lot more going for it than many independent countries.

Can't wait for next Independence referendum.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Of course the SNP where never concerned about North Sea Oil Revenues. Where they ?

SNP's plans in ruin as North Sea oil revenues plummet 94% following slump in price of crude

A rout of global oil prices has continued to batter the North Sea industry with revenues down 94 per cent – smashing a hole in the Scottish National Party’s previous forecasts for an independent Scotland

www.thisismoney.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

You really need to do a bit of fact checking before you spout this nonsense. No-one from the SNP or pro independence parties EVER claimed Scotland's economy would be reliant on North sea oil...What was said was that Scotland would create a Oil fund modeled on Norway's way of doing things. We have a economy outwith oil that is the envy of most countries in the world.

Gotta love this garbage. Whenever North sea oil is mentioned some trumpet jumps in with.. Scotland bad..Independence bad..as if the fall in Oil prices doesn't effect London...Trust me. It effects Westminster's ability to balance the books more than it does Scotland.

But feel free to try and score political points on the back of thousands losing there jobs...Clown.

That's a little disingenuous, I'm not going to name any names, but a lot of 'yes' voters on ATS couldn't say enough about how Scotland would get to keep all the oil revenue - I'm sure you remember those posts as you were in the threads that discussed this.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

That's a little disingenuous, I'm not going to name any names, but a lot of 'yes' voters on ATS couldn't say enough about how Scotland would get to keep all the oil revenue - I'm sure you remember those posts as you were in the threads that discussed this.

And rightly so we would get to keep the Oil revenue that would be generated from Oil production in Scottish waters...do you have a problem with Scotland keeping what's rightfully hers.?

100% of £1 is still £1.. My problem is with Scotland only getting 7p of that £1 as it stands.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join