It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British ISIS Mum Tareena Shakil Jailed for 6 years is this the right thing to do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
She is a traitor, exposed her child to danger etc so the child will get taken away from her no matter what. Firing squad is what she deserves, or a long swing on a short rope.

First time I ever agreed with you....

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Well, for me the question becomes once radicalized can you rehabilitate to normality, I'm not sure you can, and it's similar to a pedophile, I would actually be more in favor of capital punishment for those who are pedophiles or for those who have become radicalized and taken action on those radical beliefs, than I would for someone who commits murder in a crime of passion. I think the later can be rehabilitated, I'm not sure either of the former can and therefor being allowed to exist among humanity may infact be treasonous to humanity.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Yes it is.

Here is the crux of the issue. First of all, those who join up with IS are basically saying that they support the enemy, that they buy into the lies and propagandist twaddle that they peddle, and that they are enemies of our culture and way of life. To be absolutely honest, I think that should be a whole life term offence, since it is a treason against the people.

As for hating the west, the woman already hates the west, otherwise she would not have gone and joined IS. Now, if she returned, not because she was disillusioned with IS, but because she found herself actually loving the nation she is living in, recanting any association with IS in the process, and declaring herself to be an enemy of IS, then perhaps one might understand her being a little upset at being jailed, but is that what is really going on here? No.

Now, I say all this in the full knowledge that it is only the failures of western foreign policy in the Middle East and North Africa which allowed the rise of IS to occur, and indeed that our nation as well as the US and other western nations have PAID for some of their weapons, training, and what have you over the years. Essentially IS is simply an amalgam of all the assets the intelligence services lost control of over the years. Compounded by the western insistence on sending entire armies to do the job of assassins, meaning collateral damage like you wouldn't believe and an orphan on every corner, these policy failures and asset losses, had inevitable consequences.

That does not absolve this woman of her responsibility to recognise that IS, no matter their professed faith, are not a solution to any problem worth solving, and a failure to understand that damned well should be an offence under the law, if it is not already.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Now that they have let her return and sentenced her, it is too late to shut any doors. I would have made part of her sentence travelling to Mosques and schools and telling her story. Social media would be a big part of it. She could provide a little reality check to those bored with life and wanting a little excitement. Describe the con of the recruiters firsthand. Describe every grimy detail of leaving for Syria and playing international spy while getting there with people telling you how important you are. Finally arrive feeling like you are on an important mission and then getting gang raped and sold to a sweaty thug as a concubine. Worry about being killed for any reason at all. As property, you can be disposed of by the master at any time. Live in fear of being collateral damage; bombs and artillery don't know the difference between you and your beast of a master. Escape the Hell of ISIS alive and come home, only to face the consequences of your stupidity or live in ISIS land until you are killed by one faction or another.

Use her. If she does a good job, parole her early on the condition that she continue to do a good job.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's a propaganda war that we need to win against Isis too so I would rather we use her to shed the light on reality in the desert with a bunch Isis soldiers to put off any glamorous perceptions young women have of joining Isis, but there must be some justice and also a threat to others who have ideas of travelling to Syria, but I do see an opportunity for her to be used in our own propaganda against Isis, but I have no problems locking her up, just wonder if there's more we could achieve from using her

link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You said 'Jihadis'. Methinks you refrained yourself from saying something else.

Jihad is not a religion-it is a perverse ideal that originated from a well established religion-just like pedophilia is linked to Catholic priests.

edit on 1-2-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: crazyewok Well she did join a group which wishes to bomb the UK, beheads folk and such like so I say life imprisonment segregated...never been a death penalty man myself, although I'm sure id personally want to kill someone who say killed my son.

I'm sure some bleeding hearts will join the thread soon saying she's a poor young mother who was the victim of extremist radicals brainwashing tricks, whatever.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Don't have a great deal of sympathy for her. The kid should be adopted and she should be sent back and used as an intelligence asset to atone for what she's done. Just throwing her in prison doesn't really solve anything.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I'm surprised you said it, because most people do not understand it. They immediately hear "propaganda" and their brains explode and they feel deep dark control all around them. When in reality, war is fought on multiple fronts one front is called the "propaganda war", it doesn't mean it's bad or even negative, two sides lay out propaganda someone has to be more objectively right? Currently we are losing the propaganda war,horribly so.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wouldn't we need more information? Why did she become disillusioned? Was it because she realized killing and destroying everything in your path is wrong? Or did she just get tired of not having a CD player, or some such superficial thing?

People can change. Maybe she had some clarity into what they actually believe in, and decided to denounce it.

Or maybe she just got tired of having sand in her shoes, or being raped and put in a subservient role.

I would need to know her reasons. If she truly 'repented' I would be able to show mercy. But if she still holds to the philosophy, then off to jail , sans child.
edit on 2/1/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I think that she either HAS to be imprisoned, or she needed to not be allowed back into the country. She swore allegiance to an enemy of the state, an enemy who has declared war upon the country by any means possible. Either prison or simply not there, there is no middle ground because its the safety of the civilian population which is at stake.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: crazyewok

You said 'Jihadis'. Methinks you refrained yourself from saying something else.

Jihad is not a religion-it is a perverse ideal that originated from a well established religion-just like pedophilia is linked to Catholic priests.

So woke is the bad guy here then?

Because that is how you are making it out to be.

Save the bleeding heart nonsense for your PC circle jerk, you want him to be racist so you don't have to acknowledge the failure of your own ideology.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Well, I'm not going to be losing any sleep over it for sure.

As far as I'm concerned, by travelling to Syria and joining up with ISIS she has renounced her right to be called British. She's made her bed and she can lie in it, in prison.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
She shouldn't be in jail, she should never have been let back into the UK.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

How well did imprisonment of IRA terrorists work? Not too well if I remember correctly.
There are several effective solutions.
1) Death upon conviction by firing squad for treason;
2) Deportation without passport.

I would suggest #2 for both the mother and child as the child will doubtless be radicalized at some point in the future.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
6 years seems light,

How many must she serve before she can be put on parole?

she get time off for good behavior?
edit on 1-2-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is gonna be taken wrongly but I feel the need ro say it: Blair obviously is but Cameron and the British media are complicit to a huge extent (maybe not in this specific case) in mobilising people to go to Syria to fight.

When Cameron was trying to push for military action against Assad all we saw was innocent Syrians being oppressed and victimised on TV. Muslim guys I worked with at the time said they wanted to go and fight and I understood why, although they thankfully didn't go. At that time it wasn't ISIS and extremists it was regular Syrians standing up for their right to exist and kids being blown to bits by an authoritarian government took up all of the headlines.

Then the narrative changed and flipped 180, news of chemical weapons and atrocities by Assad disappeared completely and the threat of ISIS suddenly became more pressing and immediate but by then the damage was done and people had already gone over to fight.

I'm not sure how we're meant to view those people. I know how we view the radicalised idiots that want to go there and fight now but a lot of the initial wave were well meaning and establishing a caliphate was probably the furthest thing from their minds. They weren't traitors..gullible and misguided maybe but not evil. So what should be done with them if they fell for a propaganda campaign conducted by our own government?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

you can't just steal something and take it back and say sorry I changed my mind

same goes for joining ISIS

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

I think the key to all this, is to remember what is, and what is not a just cause to act. Assad killing his own people is a good reason to join the Free Syrian Army, and a great reason to make sure that if that army got taken over by ISIS, that any genuine freedom lover in that army kill his commanders, and any IS high up he can lay a blade on.

However, it seems that the men and women who are neither Assads forces, or the forces of IS have been largely ignored, or worse, bombed more severely than either Assads forces, or the forces of IS.

This is how you know its all BS. But joining IS still makes you a modern day Nazi, and that cannot be tolerated.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

If she was a part of ISIS she was already radicalized. Everyone who is member of this terrorist organisation needs to be treated as such.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join