It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoaaaaa Duuuuud, Waves of up to 50 feet pound Hawaii's North Shore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

exactly... hence my post , 50ft ? whaaaaaa duuuuuude 50cm knarly !

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Not big enough for the Eddie meet.
quiksilver.com...

Was wondering.

Just happen to be wearing my "Eddie Would Go" shirt.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well technically I think Eddie would still go. Maybe not waimea, but still.

Eta: I guess nobody said he wouldn't.
edit on 29-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Wow
I used to watch surfing competitions on tv as a kid, always in awe of the 30 footers. Then last year I read a book about the Cortes Bank, Mavericks, and 50 ft rogue waves like the one that hit Murgatroid's ship. The power that's out there.

Yes, as the ocean changes, bigger waves and higher sea levels will continue to eat our coastlines.
edit on 29-1-2016 by desert because: sp

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Having been a surfer my entire adult life, I appreciate nice set, and 4- 7 feet are ride up my ally.. Holy smokes, 50 foot waves! !

Good for you! I only surf in 200 foot waves in my belly board. If one comes up, you'll never have a chance again, I'm saving my whole life for it.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

Like Bodhi from point break?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Like Bodhi from point break?

I haven't watched that film. Maybe.

We haven't seen 200 ft waves in recent times. There were 100 footers though in the Mavericks (Big Wave Surfing) but not good enough for me.

The dad and son who surfed a 1000 footer wave in Lituya Bay, Alaska back in '58, were very lucky. Wish I was there, but I wasn't even born when it happened.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Yeah lituya was the ultimate ride wasn't it. You would need more than a body board for that though. Gotta have a boat. Brush up on your tree evasion too.

Two spots, Egypt in Hawaii And nazarre in Portugal have had 100 footers that I am aware of. I don't think Mavericks has ever broken that big.

What recent times do you speak of? I've never heard of these 200 foot waves. If you find them again lose the sponge bro

edit on 1-2-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Yeah lituya was the ultimate ride wasn't it. You would need more than a body board for that though. Gotta have a boat. Brush up on your tree evasion too.

Two spots, Egypt in Hawaii And nazarre in Portugal have had 100 footers that I am aware of. I don't think Mavericks has ever broken that big.

What recent times do you speak of? I've never heard of these 200 foot waves. If you find them again lose the sponge bro

Yea, the dad and son duo had a boat and went up the trees!

I was speaking of "recent times" figuratively. The last time a near 200 footer appeared, it was the Krakatoa tsunami, lots of people died that day.

So little chance you'll catch these bad boys in your life. There were suspected 100+ footer rogue waves but they are out in the middle of the ocean, nearly impossible to chance unless you work out in the sea.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Ahh, right on I see.

Well shoot, if ya find your wave be careful! If ya make it you should contact Billabong.

I think solar waves will be the next frontier of big wave surfing. After BC and Alaska are fully explored.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Really? I thought this latest swell was too big for Wameia Bay which results in a big closeout. Anything over 30' closes out at Wameia. Too big for The Eddie.

I do have a friend out there who got some good video of this.

The biggest waves are now being ridden in Europe, however big surf like this just seems extra special given the tropical weather and blue water.

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Ahh, right on I see.

Well shoot, if ya find your wave be careful! If ya make it you should contact Billabong.

I think solar waves will be the next frontier of big wave surfing. After BC and Alaska are fully explored.

There was one in history, if I had a time machine.... It was back in 1914. Would have loved to catch that thing with my body board, hopefully, not ending up in a body bag!

200 footer storm wave 1914

The lighthouse stands on a steep cliff 175 feet above the sea so as the water fell over the top of the bluff and struck the tower on level with the balcony the wave may have been 200 feet high. Clearly, it was higher than the 93 foot Pilot Rock offshore which it washed completely over several times.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

That was cool!

thanks for sharing that. I am always fascinated by those types of stories and that one is the coolest ive read since learning about Lituya some years ago.

I can not imagine the thrill. Especially since small waves by comparison already have such a raw power. When the ocean is up and kicking it feels and looks like a great living entity. The ocean will demand respect, spend enough time with her and it will get beaten out of you somehow.

Now to try and imagine 200 foot seas.............it is beyond me and It is spooky the earth can get that violent.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join