It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets ERASE our history!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: enlightenedservant
That does not mean that removing items of historic relevance from view is wise, or moral or any of the other things that it simply is not. It's just arrogant, ignorant, and foolish, and asking for trouble down the line.

But it isn't removed from view. You can go see this stuff at any museum or historic location. It just isn't on display in the public at large.

Has anyone given a rational answer as to why they want to be removed?

I'll bet you 9 out of 10 americans have no clue who the statues are. Or even give a rats.

When all the bad things are hidden out of sight, will people let it go?

I can see removing them as a violation of the 1st.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
That's not erasing history, it's being sensible. Instead of plastering the still losing side up on a pedestal & sending the wrong collective message, it's being moved elsewhere, where I assume it's up to you to view it. Which, IMO, is how history should be. If you use old battles generations ago to define you, then you're not really anyone or anything remarkable of your own merit today, are you? And where does that identity from past battles end? The first White House that burned? Napoleonic Wars? Battle of the Roses? Sparta? When? I mean, your genetic lineage goes back considerably farther than just North America anyway, right?
This end of history, the kind none of us were alive to be involved in yet, are lessons to learn from, not be your sole source of romanticized identity. If that were the case, those reasons of old that made my ancestors shuffled around Europe & eventually come here are all I am. I don't think so, I'm not that ancestor, I'm the result of many of them, considering it was my ancestors that fled those situations, not me personally. A nod to their eras in museums is adequate, they don't need a groveling public homage.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Did you guys get offended when they took down stalins statues, or sadams pictures, oh my changing history lol, think of the children.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

a reply to: network dude

The confederate flag isn't banned though... See, you can buy one at that link I just posted. So what are you talking about?

ETA: I'm going to ask you the same thing I just asked TrueBrit. If we HAVE to display Confederate flags and memorbelia everywhere, lest we are "erasing history" as you guys like to claim; does that mean Germany should be displaying Nazi stuff everywhere, or Russia displaying Communist stuff everywhere? Or are we in danger of erasing that history because it isn't displayed?

I have a Mao ciggy lighter that lights up!

What is russia gonna do with lenin's tomb? Move it?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yes, the monuments are not being destroyed - they will be moved to a place where the full story can be told. I think that could be correctly termed as "history", no?

Once removed, he said, the city plans on storing the monuments in a warehouse until a plan is devised to place them in "a private park or museum site where the monuments can be put in a fuller context."

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: wulff

In order to repeat history, history first, must be erased.
-Cowboy

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The confederate flag isn't banned though... See, you can buy one at that link I just posted. So what are you talking about?

ETA: I'm going to ask you the same thing I just asked TrueBrit. If we HAVE to display Confederate flags and memorbelia everywhere, lest we are "erasing history" as you guys like to claim; does that mean Germany should be displaying Nazi stuff everywhere, or Russia displaying Communist stuff everywhere? Or are we in danger of erasing that history because it isn't displayed?

Just like back a few months ago when this was discussed, it wasn't just about the flag, it was about anything related to the civil war.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and yes, I fully understand all about the flag.

But this is what I meant and still mean.

Erasing history will not fix anything. If anything, it will marginalize the very people who are crying the big tears to make all this go away. And you don't seem to have the ability to grasp this. The PC crowd is the ones driving this bus. The militant left. You know, your people. It has to stop.

ETA: and to answer your question, the German people have kept the reminders of that era to remember how evil man can be and to MAKE DAMN SURE we never go down that road again. Which it a reason history needs to remain, instead of being removed due to bruised feelings.

We aren't erasing history though. No one is denying that the Confederacy existed or held a significant part of American history. Just like the Germans have kept the reminders of that era, we too have done the same for the Civil War. There are plenty of historic battlegrounds you can visit, museums, history textbooks you can read, historians you can talk too, history departments at colleges that have professors more than willing to talk to you about it, etc.

These statues and icons aren't history anyways. They are just symbols that represent a warped view of history. They idolize the Confederacy while disavowing its dark sides or ignoring them altogether. You won't see someone display a Confederate flag.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

exactly!

The nazi's affected the whole world.

Confederate slavery, not so much.

Slavery is alive and well in some parts of the world, still.

People should be putting their energy into stopping actual human rights violations.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

We aren't erasing history though. No one is denying that the Confederacy existed or held a significant part of American history. Just like the Germans have kept the reminders of that era, we too have done the same for the Civil War. There are plenty of historic battlegrounds you can visit, museums, history textbooks you can read, historians you can talk too, history departments at colleges that have professors more than willing to talk to you about it, etc.

These statues and icons aren't history anyways. They are just symbols that represent a warped view of history. They idolize the Confederacy while disavowing its dark sides or ignoring them altogether. You won't see someone display a Confederate flag.

So if it offends a few, tear that # down! If two or more people shed tears over it, then remove it. Take a picture, and put it in some museum.

Washington DC is rife with history. A good bit of it from that era in time. Will the bulldozers and backhoes be gassing up to tear it down next? Just how far do we need to go to please each and every precious snowflake?
edit on 28-1-2016 by network dude because: Liberals make me smile.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: wulff

I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans here in Shreveport, Louisiana and we've been fighting this since it was brought up. You're exactly right in that people should be responsible enough to explain to their children why it's there. Unfortunately in today's society, people are lied to and told that the statues represent racism. It's truly disgusting.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
A monument to this guy should definitely be put in the spot where the monument to Robert E. Lee was:

This proud battalion of black faces, most dressed in military uniforms, some on horseback, all marching in formation—stunned white New Orleans.

There were only two possible outcomes for these men of Africa: death or freedom.

Deslondes and his contingent knew that.

And in the end, they were outgunned.

Ninety-five slaves were eventually executed. Deslondes was maimed and tortured beforehand.

But in death, Deslondes and these other martyrs of American history found their dignity and, of course, their freedom.

www.npr.org...

History - learn from it.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Volchitsa

Well they can give one to me, I'll proudly put one on display in my front yard.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

So if it offends a few, tear that # down! If two or more people shed tears over it, then remove it. Take a picture, and put it in some museum.

Washington DC is rife with history. A good bit of it from that era in time. Will the bulldozers and backhoes be gassing up to tear it down next? Just how far do we need to go to please each and every precious snowflake?

I'm sorry I just find hypocrisy here in this fake outrage over these statues being removed. These statues never represented real history. Just distorted history made to idolize people and events. I don't see proudly displaying biased history is conducive to learning non-biased history.

I also have no problems bucking traditions. I think appeal to tradition is the weakest reason to keep doing something, so I have no problem taking down historical things if they misrepresent history or idolize dark times. Where are the statues of slave owners whipping and beating slaves?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I agree with your comment; I have no problem with the removal of these monuments.

The thing so many people don't seem to "get" is that most US cities like New Orleans, (Chocolate City), are going the way of South Africa/Rhodesia. The "majority" population is insulted by monuments to their oppressors. It only makes sense they wouldn't want the statues of their oppressors in their faces every day. They want monuments to their heroes, like MLK and Nelson Mandela, the people who freed them from the oppressors. For example, we don't have statues and monuments to King George of England, but rather to George Washington and such.

What part of this people don't get I don't understand. Strange. I guess Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

exactly!

The nazi's affected the whole world.

Confederate slavery, not so much.

Slavery is alive and well in some parts of the world, still.

People should be putting their energy into stopping actual human rights violations.

So in other words, the scale of the evil excuses idolizing certain historically evil times?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Another stepstone towards "1984".

Rewrite history! We are at war with Oceania! We were always allies with East-Asia!

Or.... they were just plain awful statues of people who should not be put on such a proud pedestal..
Would you mind if Germany would consider removing a statue of Joseph Goebbels? Or even Hitler? Heey, it is history!
Fact: there are no such statues in Germany to the best of my knowledge.

Those men are heroes to those of us in the South that understand why the Civil War was fought, they should remain on high pedestals.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
For example, we don't have statues and monuments to King George of England, but rather to George Washington and such.

Very good point. Why don't we have monuments to great King George? He was a part of our history, and there was a time when colonists were very loyal to him. ???

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Right, because the South wanted to end the cruel practice of slavery. Uh huh.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Volchitsa
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Cities are steeped in history. Slaves were used to build the Colosseum. We know now that slavery is a bit of a no-no, but no-one is daft enough to want to destroy the Colosseum because it's history might be offensive to... somebody.

Monuments illustrate a city's history. When I'm walking through a city, I like to see the old bits nestled in with the new bits, I like seeing how it's changed over time. I find this better than getting everything from a book, because it's a real, tangible experience.

Obviously, they could get rid of every old monument and relegate history to confines of a library, but I think that's a big loss.

Well, it's in ultra liberal New Orleans so I don't expect anything rational to come from this, nor do I expect any rational thinking efforts to be put into it. My camp just bought an acre of land off of one of Louisiana's major interstates. We'll be erecting a Confederate Flag on that acre, big enough to see from miles away, in the coming months.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Well, yes, obviously........but of course, it doesn't help that he was something of an idiot. I doubt the Brits have many statues to King George either.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join