It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets ERASE our history!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I could not have said what you just did any better than you, therefore I will just hit reply and say thank you for so eloquently putting it Brit.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

They are figments of the past, or rather echoes of those figments. They have no place in modern society, people who think that way. And yet they live, because rather than learn the right lessons from what they see around them, they ignore the lessons of the past, in favour of wishing to enslave the future.

That does not mean that removing items of historic relevance from view is wise, or moral or any of the other things that it simply is not. It's just arrogant, ignorant, and foolish, and asking for trouble down the line.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
That does not mean that removing items of historic relevance from view is wise, or moral or any of the other things that it simply is not. It's just arrogant, ignorant, and foolish, and asking for trouble down the line.

But it isn't removed from view. You can go see this stuff at any museum or historic location. It just isn't on display in the public at large.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It is removed from view if you have to make an efforts gonad see it!

Waffle!

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

That reasoning only makes sense if you advocate that literally ALL history is put on display everywhere in public. You can't just be selective with Confederate history; that shows bias and creates a warped view of what really happened. This is why these things should be contained in museums. You can present all history equally on an even level.

ETA: I mean going by this reasoning, should Germany display Nazi statues everywhere?
edit on 28-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

They are figments of the past, or rather echoes of those figments. They have no place in modern society, people who think that way. And yet they live, because rather than learn the right lessons from what they see around them, they ignore the lessons of the past, in favour of wishing to enslave the future.

LOL It's "arrogant, ignorant, and foolish, and asking for trouble down the line" to put the daily reminders of our past brutalities in history books and museums, where they belong?

Edit to Add: And no, they're not figments of the past. I'm guessing you've never heard of current groups like the "Sons of Confederate Veterans", the "League of the South", or the "Daughters of the Confederacy"? Those groups exist right now.

And since you seem to think these things are figments of the past, perhaps you should google "neo confederate police" and "kkk police' to see just how many separate cases there have been in recent times involving Amercian LEOs who were outed as members of white supremacist hate groups like the KKK & the groups I mentioned above.
edit on 28-1-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Are you saying that those insidious individuals are not throwbacks to a rotten era?

I would say they are, people who have failed to learn the lessons of history.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: wulff

You don't erase history by removing statues. Any historian will be MORE than happy to tell you all about the Confederacy. Trust me. You don't have to worry, Confederate history isn't being erased. However, they are trying to remove Confederate symbols from being something to look up to and respect.

Yea, NOBODY is banning the flag. I doubt you remember those words and what they were about, but a little memory refresher is here for you. All those memorials being removed is EXACTLY what we were all talking about back then. And apparently, you were about 100% wrong in that the liberal left wasn't out to erase history. It's just nice that all those threads still exist.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The confederate flag isn't banned though... See, you can buy one at that link I just posted. So what are you talking about?

ETA: I'm going to ask you the same thing I just asked TrueBrit. If we HAVE to display Confederate flags and memorbelia everywhere, lest we are "erasing history" as you guys like to claim; does that mean Germany should be displaying Nazi stuff everywhere, or Russia displaying Communist stuff everywhere? Or are we in danger of erasing that history because it isn't displayed?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Are you saying that those insidious individuals are not throwbacks to a rotten era?

I would say they are, people who have failed to learn the lessons of history.

What lessons? They accept the "lessons" of the Confederacy and continue to push its ideals to this day. They even call the Civil War the "War of Northern Aggression". America's far right wing is literally still pushing those ideals to this day. They're literally still fighting the same ideological battles that were fought back then, like State's Rights superseding federalism and racial segregation. Though now they use tactics like "Redlining" and gerrymandering to enforce the segregation, and policies like "Stop & Frisk" and the "Broken Windows Theory" to disproportionately target the minority districts. And modern political ideologies like the "Southern Strategy" provide an outlet for those policies.

You can't consider something a "throwback to a rotten era" when the "era" hasn't ended yet. Remember something, the Confederacy only lasted for 4 years. But the lead up to the confederacy took decades. And after losing the Civil War, the confederate sympathizers & the survivors of the confederacy then pushed the "Jim Crow" laws which led to nearly 100 years of forced racial segregation in America. And their modern sympathizers, who are only a few generations removed from the actual confederates, are trying to reverse the policies from the 1960s that undid those policies. Even the "libertarian" Rand Paul said he wouldn't have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which is literally the law that ended forced racial segregation in America.

That is the history that needs to be taught & remembered.
edit on 28-1-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Alongside all those confederate flags, they should display whips, nooses, KKK hoods, and other racial imagery too. If we aren't allowed to forget the Confederacy because of displaying the flag, then we should display the embarrassing parts too.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Might not be a bad idea for this day in age.

From what i have seen people don't learn from history, but rather acquire hate from it.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Maybe we should have left the original lynching posts and the original nooses hanging off the trees where blacks were "punished". After all, that was part of our history too. You know, back in those days, the lynching posts and nooses were left there to warn blacks what would happen to them if they got too uppity. How do you think blacks would feel today if they had to walk by them every day?

The problem with the statues is that they are a tribute to a concept that no longer appeals to the general population. To leave them up around the city would imply that everyone still feels the same way they felt when the statues were first erected. What should be erected in their place are statues of people from the area who helped slaves in some way, or famous slaves from the area who achieved great things in spite of their adversity. Are these also not part of history, and a part that we SHOULD actually be paying tribute to today?

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Very Very well said!

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

a reply to: network dude

The confederate flag isn't banned though... See, you can buy one at that link I just posted. So what are you talking about?

ETA: I'm going to ask you the same thing I just asked TrueBrit. If we HAVE to display Confederate flags and memorbelia everywhere, lest we are "erasing history" as you guys like to claim; does that mean Germany should be displaying Nazi stuff everywhere, or Russia displaying Communist stuff everywhere? Or are we in danger of erasing that history because it isn't displayed?

Just like back a few months ago when this was discussed, it wasn't just about the flag, it was about anything related to the civil war.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and yes, I fully understand all about the flag.

But this is what I meant and still mean.

Erasing history will not fix anything. If anything, it will marginalize the very people who are crying the big tears to make all this go away. And you don't seem to have the ability to grasp this. The PC crowd is the ones driving this bus. The militant left. You know, your people. It has to stop.

ETA: and to answer your question, the German people have kept the reminders of that era to remember how evil man can be and to MAKE DAMN SURE we never go down that road again. Which it a reason history needs to remain, instead of being removed due to bruised feelings.
edit on 28-1-2016 by network dude because: added thought

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Alongside all those confederate flags, they should display whips, nooses, KKK hoods, and other racial imagery too. If we aren't allowed to forget the Confederacy because of displaying the flag, then we should display the embarrassing parts too.

I agree. There are even good articles & diagrams about "slave punishments" that go into the horrific ways they'd punish & kill slaves. I used to think many pro-confederates simply didn't know about that stuff, but now I'm suspecting they know & still don't care.

I was a child when she died, but my great grandmother was the daughter of a slave. Her 2 brothers were killed by Klansmen who wanted their land. Knowing what I know now, I wish I could go back & ask her so many things.

Needless to say, I hate that segment of history more than you can imagine. And I don't like allowing myself to hate anything. If I could, I'd hit a magical "delete button" & erase every aspect of it from existence. Unfortunately, I have to remember it in order to stop their sympathizers from continuing the cycle of whitewashing the atrocities & brainwashing a new generation of neo-confederates.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

it is all in how you look at it.

If you choose to see those nooses as a reminder of death then do so that is your prerogative,
but it also servers as a reminder of the pain caused by our own actions, and to work towards bettering ourselves as a person, race, and species.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Squirlli

I still say it is better to pay tribute to the good guys who persevered in spite of the bad guys, rather than pay tribute to the bad guys. Still learning from history, but in the best possible way.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Gee... why doesn't Germany remove all the Holocaust monuments and we will pretend it never happened! A brand new-cleaned up past!

Gee that would only be an applicable analogy if the monuments removed were for the Nazi generals.

No one is "removing history" the history of the slaver traitors will be remembered & taught.
Monuments to the traitorous scum & slavers will no longer be revered though.
Why those monuments were allowed to be erected at all is a testament to how forgiving the nation was to the south & it's traitorous rabble,

I say it's long past due that these traitorous scum were recognized for the filth that they were & not celebrated as heroes.

K~

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Exactly. And there was much worse than just hangings and whippings. Here's just one article that goes into much better details on the daily occurrences on plantations.

Slave Punishments

It's actually worth reading the citations at the bottom, as it quotes paragraphs from the cited works. They go into even more detail, like this:

The ordinary punishments of slaves, for the common crimes of neglect, absence from work, eating the sugar cane, theft, are cart whipping, beating with a stick, sometimes to the breaking of bones, the chain, an iron crook about the neck... a ring about the ankle, and confinement in the dungeon. There have been instances of slitting of ears, breaking of limbs, so as to make amputation necessary, beating out of eyes, and castration... In short, in the place of decency, sympathy, morality,and religion; slavery produces cruelty and oppression. It is true, that the unfeeling application of the ordinary punishments ruins the constitution, and shortens the life of many a poor wretch.

And for even more details, look up "slave torture devices". I won't post any of it because I'm actually getting angry thinking about it. But you'll see what I mean if you look into it.

And remember, this stuff doesn't even go into the rape side of the slave trade. There's a reason why that African Americans with roots from that time period have between 15-40% European blood, and it wasn't voluntary. Even "dignified" slaveowners like Pres Andrew Jackson's first slave was a woman. That time period was even worse than most people know.

Ok, I might need to take a break from this lol. My own maternal line came from an incident like that & I'm starting to get angry for real. So good luck everyone and I'll log back in later when i'm more level headed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join