It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gnostics, the true Christians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The ancient so called Gnostics were persecuted and slandered by the politically minded "church fathers." But maybe they were just eliminating the competition in ancient capitalist fashion. I say it's time the Christian Gnostics be vindicated as they were unfairly eliminated by corrupt Catholicism and Roman persecution. I say they were true Christians with a different belief undeserving of persecution. Their writings should be considered revealed by God at the appropriate time. That time has come. People love the Nag Hammadi texts and I say right now, along with the Holy Bible, they are inspired scripture. I'm no Gnostic, but I still support this. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 369elyon

Can you explain what the difference is between "Gnostic Christians" and Catholics or Protestants?

Good luck with your new membership and with your thread.

edit on 24-1-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: windword
Can you?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: 369elyon
Can you?

She asked first.

"Christian Gnostics" aren't likely to be "vindicated" any time soon, since they don't believe the creator is a supreme deity, but a lesser, evil deity.
edit on 1/24/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Can you?

I don't want to presume to tell you what you believe. This is your thread. The onus is on you.

For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.
Galations 1:12

Would you say that the above is a Gnostic Christian statement?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

OK. A Gnostic Christian values knowledge and faith equally and isn't scared to question the scriptures. Or reads Christian books that aren't in the bible without being a little b about it.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And doesn't go on the internet and bother people who aren't scared to think outside the tiny box of mainstream Christianity.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

"Christian Gnostics" aren't likely to be "vindicated" any time soon, since they don't believe the creator is a supreme deity, but a lesser, evil deity.

For this reason alone, I reject Gnosticism.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

To be fair, there are a lot of people, Christians even, who don't don the cloak of Gnostism that think that the deity of the Old Testament was not who he claimed to be. Kinda a no brainer, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short
That's your right, reject is a little harsh I would have went with disagree. I just trust God that HE was behind the finding of the NHL. The Most High, not Yahweh.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
They believed in a higher, more sane God. Not a infanticidal, genocidal war mongering God. Can you blame them. Who wants to worship the God of the old testament? Crazy people.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Shortalso Israel originally believed in a God who was Yahwehs "father" named El Elyon or God Most High in english. Even had a consort named Asherah. It's from the Canaanite pantheon, Israel and every other nation had individual Gods under El Elyon.

edit on 24-1-2016 by 369elyon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

To be fair, there are a lot of people, Christians even, who don't don the cloak of Gnostism that think that the deity of the Old Testament was not who he claimed to be. Kinda a no brainer, in my opinion.

True enough. But the OP was about gnosticism. So that's what I was addressing. As you and I know, Christianity is among the most eclectic religions one can be a part of.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

originally posted by: Klassified

For this reason alone, I reject Gnosticism.

Exactly my point. Among the general Christian population, there will be no vindication of Gnostics.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

That's your right, reject is a little harsh I would have went with disagree. I just trust God that HE was behind the finding of the NHL. The Most High, not Yahweh.

Yahweh, or YHVH - now, if we look at the very ancient phonetic meanings of those four letters, we find the name means "Behold the Nail, Behold the Hand." Could that be Jesus? Yes, I think so, and if so, there is a Most High beyond Him, as He said that whoever had seen Him had seen the Father.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Ya it's not that they are looking for vindication, it's not even a goal. I just gave it to them. Truthfully, no one outside of mainstream Christianity would accept your vindication because that might bring upon a curse. Only you like you. Seeking approval from humans is not a thing that exists in the Gnostic mind. Your rejection is The Most High's acceptance. In fact, if it wasn't for the money Christianity as you see it would cease to exist. Always preaching like the more you recite scripture the bigger the rewards you'll get in Heaven. Fearing hell because you don't trust The Most High. Faith without knowledge is incomplete and not acceptable because it's fear of hell that is motivating you and not a desire to please The Most High God or even just to be nice. You NEED everyone to think like you because it proves how holy you are to belittle anyone with a mind that actually works.

edit on 24-1-2016 by 369elyon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Not you personally

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

"Behold the Nail, Behold the Hand." Could that be Jesus?

LOL........BEHOLD! The Clumsiest Carpenter ever!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It's just a great majority of Trinitarian Christians. Being "saved" is like being a chosen one and comes with at least a minimum of arrogance and undue self entitlement. The word hypocrite gets used in the same sentence as Christian quite often. They have the worst sense of the meaning of humility. Knowledge and logic have no value in beast system tax free corporations called churches, and as long as they live the actual meaning of the sciptures will never exist in their minds because they did as they were told and believed whatever everyone around them was believing. The syncreticism in the Christian religion is something they are not even aware of, and they hardly bother with the old testament. They won't even read another religions books, liken everything to Satanism, don't understand Judaism AT ALL. They show up, and go home when its over and they pray. Other than that, they they make no attempt to seek out His Wisdom. Keeping a weekly appointment is not worshipping. It's about being seen so you don't get called a sinner or lost and the people all try way to hard to be nice and it comes across as phony and it's what they do to make you feel liked when your new. Before you know it your online defending your particular churches stance as if it were your own. I don't see the appeal in the whole hive mindset, and I don't want to be around only people who think like me because im not afraid of people who aren't carbon copies of myself. Or accepting the bible as never having been edited with time to conform to the revised beliefs of the day in thousands of years.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join