It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've got hundreds of cds. What to do with them.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
My favorite music is on my computer, etc.

And then there is my many hundred cds.

I hate to throw most of them out. Some are in good shape (some not), so maybe I could take them to a used cd-record store and get something.

Do you have any advice. I don`t want them to sit in a garbage dump for thousands of years after our species becomes extinct.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I took all of that kind of stuff down to the local pawn shop when I got back to the States ... and gave it away. Most nearly everything I had was in 'mint' condition.

Not telling what the pawn shop owner gave me under the table.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

We use them on the ranch to scare off birds and deer. String em up on a thin rope and viola! I get to once again enjoy fresh delish blackberries, raspberries, veggies, apples, etc. They reflect just enough to turn deer toward my neighbors 2 acres of grapes.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Either go with your plan of selling/donating them..or you could send them to me lol

Actually on second thought it will probably make me hoard "things of value" again...you know, stuff that will go up in value with time.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

get an Old jutebox, fill it up and then lease to ur local dive bar

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I still have my CD's and I plan to keep them. Over the past fifteen years due to various computer glitches and one horrible week in which two computers and an external hard drive failed in the SAME WEEK, I have had to re-rip my library three times. If I had done away with my CD's I would have been SOL.

Keep them.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Throw them at people like ninja stars and see how many stick. Glue them on you shiny side out and go out in bright sunlight by a busy street and see how many people you can blind. Or you can just save them in case something happens to your digital copies so you still have a hard copy. You asked lol.

edit on 22-1-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Build a Solar Cooker From Old CDs

www.treehugger.com...

When I go to shops someone hung their CD's on a tree it's soooo pretty makes me happy when I drive past it all the rainbow colours

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
You could always sell them on ebay. That's what I did several years ago. If you're bored, you can check out the prices for individual cds, as some are worth a lot more than others. Or you can put them in basic collections of 20-50 cds, list the album names, and sell them in bulk. I did both.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Find somewhere to store them, for in the event of a wide scale network collapse, and keep something that will play them handy.

I am going to look at making hard copy of all my data at some point, so that a computer will not be necessary in the event of a grid failure or sabotage.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I've got hundreds of cds. What to do with them.

Keep them, keep them, keep them.

One day your door might get smashed down by the copyright police and having your CDs on hand might be the only thing that saves your arse, or your computer will crap itself and you will loose them and then where do you go?

I back mine up regularly to an external disc but I have yet to come across a backup program that backs up all files not just some of them or it deletes some files, much to dismay.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Watch what the crazy Russian hacker does with them....who knew.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   

THIS IS WHY YOU DONT KEEP THEM
You are frikin kidding me !!!!

I just loged out to clean the study i lifted the stupid cd box and the stupid bottom broke !!

Then he comes in !!!

And you cant open the door !!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Give them to a charity shop or centre. Even if they only get a dollar for each of them the money adds up.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Bury them, but in a pattern pointing towards the Winter and/or Summer Equinox. Future archaeologists will speculate and be baffled, and try to find some deep meaning. I think that's what my ancestors did with Stonehenge!

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
You should keep em.

Data stored on optical devices(cd, dvd) is much safer and will last a lot longer than on a magnetic device.
Off course it depends on the quality of the cd and how you store it.
If you keep them in these closed cylindrical containers in a dark, low humidity environment they will easy last 20 years.
How long will your external drive last? Little by little data will get corrupted, files get un-readable, so 5-10 years if you're lucky.

If you want to keep data for a long time i believe optical is the best way, good quality and storage is a must, not like one of the posters photos above

The downside, it's a lot of work.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Now there's an idea.

I hope you put in some of the best, like Billy Ray Cyrus and such

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Make them into throwing stars.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BadBoYeed

Did he just make profolactics out of a CD? Even Russians use the word "like" in vain. How would anyone think to do this with a CD?

I like to use them in trees at Cristmas, or on the beach @ the pool (skares them seagulls)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Just an idea...
Our library lets people check out movies.
Maybe they would do the same with music CDs?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join