It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've got hundreds of cds. What to do with them.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Was it similar to the watermelon or the tomato?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Actually it was more like the lightbulb. It pulsated light, exploded and flew up the side of the appliance.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
You should keep em.

Data stored on optical devices(cd, dvd) is much safer and will last a lot longer than on a magnetic device.
Off course it depends on the quality of the cd and how you store it.
If you keep them in these closed cylindrical containers in a dark, low humidity environment they will easy last 20 years.
How long will your external drive last? Little by little data will get corrupted, files get un-readable, so 5-10 years if you're lucky.

If you want to keep data for a long time i believe optical is the best way, good quality and storage is a must, not like one of the posters photos above

The downside, it's a lot of work.

I had that experience with hard disk drives. Leave a laptop in direct sunlight with the lid down and the HDD will fry (I had disabled auto-shutdown because I had always assumed that it would be in the shade - her indoors decide to move the laptop out of the way). Even with external HDD's kept in an enclosure and in your pocket. All the jostling about from cars and buses will loosen the axle of the hard drive. Eventually they will fail sooner that one in a laptop or shelf that has never moved.
Greatest fatality is dropping an external HDD that is still running when it hits the ground (had a too long USB cable).

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Scrape it up and serve it with BBQ sauce. Dinner is on.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
that is an amazing idea. i had to go log in to tell you that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join