It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you say, "start at the bottom", what do you mean?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

It's not about "caring".

It's about surviving and making/earning a living while supporting (some) a family.

I get blasted because I "don't care". Well, it's true in that I don't care what you make or what you earn.

Do you care about what I make and earn?

Why do people have to "care"? What part of the formula for success does "caring" play?

Life is hard. Working is hard. Growing up is hard.

If someone told you it was easy, I'd call them a liar. It takes an effort and not everyone is going to win.

It's called life.

Not everyone gets a trophy.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Humans got where we are by caring, that we're losing that is a travesty. Our ability to bond together as a people and support each other is our greatest strength. Losing that our biggest failing. United we stand divided we fall.

If society fell apart, it would be those who bonded together to form an extended family that succeeded over those who stubbornly think only of themselves.

There's strength in numbers and you get those numbers by caring about each other.

If humanity could get over itself and start caring about each en mass, we'd see our species sky rocket in progress.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Why should you care what I make?

Why should you care how hard I work?

Shouldn't that be left to the individual? It's none of your business if I'm an under or an over achiever.

Care all you want, but I think you're confusing "care" with a manipulation that serves your own best interests.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Job openings were little changed at 5.4 million in November. The job openings rate was 3.7 percent. The number of job openings was little changed in November for total private and government. Job openings increased in health care and social assistance (+57,000) and decreased in retail trade (-64,000). In the regions, job openings increased in the South and decreased in the Midwest over the month. (See table 1.) The number of job openings (not seasonally adjusted) increased over the 12 months ending in November for total nonfarm and total private, and was little changed for government. Job openings rose in several industries over the year with the largest changes in health care and social assistance (+242,000) and accommodation and food services (+129,000). Job openings decreased over the year in information (-48,000) and mining and logging (-8,000). The number of job openings increased over the year in the Northeast and South regions. (See table 7.)

Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary

January 12, 2016 Report Summarry Link

I would say that their are more than enough jobs available. 5.4 million job openings?! Who would work the entry levels? The younger generations and newly unskilled hires. It is cyclic but only if not made into a career. Higher positions become available through job creation, expansion, promotion, transferrals, or retirement.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

For a system to work, all it's parts must be maintained and healthy. If it's not, eventually it will fall apart.

Deny it all you want, but we are all part of the same system and all in this together. It's in all our best interests that we maintain the health of this system and all that are a part of it.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

For a system to work, all it's parts must be maintained and healthy. If it's not, eventually it will fall apart.

Deny it all you want, but we are all part of the same system and all in this together. It's in all our best interests that we maintain the health of this system and all that are a part of it.

You're speaking in abstract. The "health" of the system?

Why do you care what I make?
Why should you care about my work ethics?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Of course there are job openings, and most of them are at the bottom. I already said the bottom position was in high demand. Also of course there are job openings higher up the pyramid, turnover happens. Doesn't change the job scarcity the further up the pyramid you do.

This doesn't prove anything. I didn't say people couldn't get jobs. I said it's wrong that the job, aka, the bottom that employs most of the working population requires those doing them to be in poverty and require government assistance.

That some people can move up does nothing to change the facts for most of the human population, only those few special snowflakes.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Because crime sucks, and people starving and dying is a travesty. There's a balance to a healthy system that must be maintained. The more broken the system the more crime and poverty resulting in the death of innocents occurs.

It's in my and your best interest that wealth be distributed in a fashion that best maintains the health of the whole. If you, or someone else is throwing that balance off, it matters for my well being and the well being of everyone else including you.

If you want to think in terms of you, well it's called enlightened self interest. It's the realization that what affects others affects you as well, that a healthy world improves your quality of life as well as theirs.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

The longest running system employed by life forms is based entirely on the consumption/conquest of other life forms.

It is folly to assume that everyone's place in the system is an equal seat at the head table.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

It's not a matter of equal, it's a matter of enough. I never once suggested not rewarding ambition.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So wealth redistribution?

I don't think so. I have what I earned through work. You are not entitled to what I have.

That is called theft.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

You worked for it, doesn't mean it's what your work was worth though. No one is worth 100,000 billion dollars. You can argue all you want, but no one is worth billions more than someone else. That's called theft and tyranny.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I know my "bottom". Was a lot higher than many others in society and my family is lower middle class, still had the cultural capital many people are born without. Like responsible parents and wider family. Many things that were not considered choices, like a stable country with peace and wealth good infrastructure and services

link   
No, you just wish to make the reward inconsequential.

If you wish to reward ambition, there must be consequences for lethargy, facile, and easy. One does not exist without the other.

link   

You worked for it, doesn't mean it's what your work was worth though. No one is worth 100,000 billion dollars. You can argue all you want, but no one is worth billions more than someone else. That's called theft and tyranny.

Who are you to determine what my work is worth?

That, imho, is the height of arrogance!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

What is considered enough? The basic costs of living vary so greatly from coast to coast? What is enough in California would be far more than enough for those in my area. Wouldn't this still create an inequality?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Everyone at the top makes that decision everyday for the entire world, get off your high horse.

Not only do they make that decision, but they'll always make that decision to give themselves more and more and everyone else less and less.

Addendum: Those at the top decide their own worth and judge themselves gods among men. I think those demanding food and shelter for their labor, are far lower on the arrogance scale.
edit on 1/15/2016 by Puppylove because: Addendums are fun

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Case in point. If I live in an area that has a very ow cost of living, yet I wok remotely in an area that has a very high cost of living, my earning dollar is worth much more than someone working the same position in the local area. So, how does this idea of equality for all work in that situation? Should I be punished for this? Should I be prevented from working remotely?

Unless these are considered, it is all fantasy land stuff. Wishing does not make it happen. That thinking is for children, not adults.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Obviously that's why things need to be reset and rebuilt. Every system requires a reboot now and then.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The only way getting anywhere from the bottom is possible is if you take what you learn working for other people and go off and do your own thing with what you learned.

You will never get as far working for someone else as you will working for yourself.

Many people who are what we term "successful" are raging narcissists and take delight in making sure you will never get as far as you deserve to regardless of how hard you work.

In the last year I have worked for 3 of those people and am having a hard time recovering because I was not paid for my time and I invested too much of my own money doing their work.

I'm fine, but if things get too much more difficult I will become that gremlin or ghost in the machine that so many seem to think exists.

No, I'm not going to get vindictive....

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join