It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raiders, Marauders, And You - Things To Be Aware Of Before SHTF (Especially Mormons)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I think if it all went belly up, I would make my living by hunting down and eliminating marauders, raiders, roaming cannibal packs, and other assorted collectives of barbarous villains. Looting the looters, selling their tools of the trade to their intended victims, not to mention taking a small fee for the service, to be paid in food or other useful tradable items, the odd bit of pro bono work...

I could stretch to that.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I could see you in a long leather trench coat carrying a sawed off double barrel shotgun in one hand and a nice stout in the other lol

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have three different approaches, depending on the types of raiders faced.

1. Small group, less than us, and less armed. - Simply put, we hit them hard and fast, to where their losses quickly become not worth it, and they flee (and of course, we'll be on high alert for the next couple of weeks).

2. Large group, not overwhelming odds, but enough to not make it worth the losses on our side. We'll try to broker a deal. (I have developed some different protocols for this). They want food, water, etc. Fine, we'll supply some, on an ongoing basis, in exchange for not hassling us, and maybe even trading excess spoils they come across. They don't have the know-how to keep producing food, water, etc., but that's where we'd come in. So, they have a "safe place" they can resupply. Sure, may not feel too moral, but better than death or worse.

3. Large group, who doesn't want to deal. We bug out, following a pre-planned route (which has caches). Meanwhile, the enemy will eventually consume the tainted part of the supply (probably even first, as it will be more obviously located), and many will (over the course of a few days) die off. We'll soon return, and do hit and run raids to thin their numbers, then come back, clean up the bodies, and resume our lives.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Interesting thoughts about 'the day after'. One thing that always gives me pause is how many preppers will itemise their preparedness as if the Internet provided any real anonymity.

One pal of mine, fella I know reasonably well, is an active prepper. He didn't tell me...he told a mutual friend.

I'd say step one in emergency preparedness is Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform.

edit on 13-1-2016 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

I'd say step one in emergency preparedness is Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform.

Your statement is one hundred.
I +1 it, and have encouraged others to do the same.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It is not a new problem and it is moral dilemma that has been debated for a long time.

I think I agree with Mr. Sterling on this one.

Because people can sometimes be much more than what they seem. Or not.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Won't have to,I will organize my own block to hold out as a unit for the good of all.
We will have more than enough trained warriors here in Colorado Springs who are almost enraged already by what is being done,we could actually use the release
I myself won't last long ,so getting killed helping would preferable to drowning in mucus from COPD which isn't curable.
When little Susie needs her insulin across town ,that is a mission.
I will perform it gladly as many here would.
Perhaps you don't believe me? That's OK we'll be waiting.

edit on 13-1-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

One thing that always gives me pause is how many preppers will itemise their preparedness as if the Internet provided any real anonymity.

Well, distance certainly does factor.

If someone goes through the trouble of figuring out who I am (easy from my posts here), and gets here post SHTF (remembering me and my preps when that happens), then that person is pretty resourceful, and we could likely use them around the ranch, trading labor for room and board, etc.

While I have posted tactics and defenses before, a) they have changed a bit, and b) never posted them all, and c) time to come up with even more as time goes on. I like to think I'm a pretty sneaky bastard, and I really think outside the box.

Here's just one tidbit example. I have open pastures. Post SHTF, I will have paper machee rock structures in the pastures, that will (to an attacker) look like perfect cover for them to use in attacking us. Only when they get there, they'll realize the mistake, as these "rocks" are actually perfect range markers, that we can use, with our bullets going through the "rocks" like a knife through butter. Assuming of course, they even get this far before realizing it's a bad idea, which is unlikely after a few folks have 4 inch nails sticking through their feet, etc.

Prepping isn't something I share with locals or neighbors, just a few select friends and family. (other than the Internet of course). Somewhat anonymously, but not really.

No matter what the SHTF situation, Raiders will definitely be the NUMBER ONE THREAT any survivors face. Whether a lone desperate person or an organized gang, it's a situation all preppers need to consider.

edit on 13-1-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

For room and board ..I'll kill them for you.
Supply and demand...

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Watched the video. Pretty simple, keep your mouth shut about what you have. Read a book on edible plants in your area. And if your up to it, and I doubt many people are, get ready to go deep in the woods for the long haul to find game. If you live in the country put the rooster in the basement and see if you can hear it from the outside, you can use your imagination to hide things in the house, drop ramen noodles in the tops of hollow doors or can goods in the furniture, But it all won't matter if you make human contact. If you don't look like your starving when they find you, they'll know you got something somewhere.

It won't be long and the so-called raiders will either be picked off by home owners, other raiders, or kill each other when the food gets scarce. Carrying guns and ammo takes a lot of energy, My guess is is they'll live it up for a short time and die as murderers and thieves. Too bad these idiots didn't put as much planning into taking care of themselves while there's time as they did figuring out a way to kill and rob others.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
That is the hope, but.....

There will be a LOT of ex-military types who do know how to plan, and are out of a job (with no government and thus no army to be beholden to), and will use their skills to secure what they need, along with leading others. Luckily though, these types are also a lot more likely to be able to be reasoned with, and strike a deal.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Very similar except I have heavy terrain long way down country road, dirt road, timber road and thousands of forestry acreage surrounding my back 40.

Know it like back my hand and own the night.

So far out of the way you either have business being there or none at all.

First thing might be found is "Trojan cabin" mind you someone in my party has you scoped at that point.

As you settle in to your new found luck, you are being setup for the fall.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

well sir, if I happen to be on the west side of the country when SHTF, I will accommodate your services in my alternate location a few hours South of the Colorado border.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

OR you might have to fall back to MY position... THEN you can do the same...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
In the initial post, it mentioned that raiders won't likely know animal husbandry, how to properly butcher an animal, or grow crops, etc. (nor could raiders stay put to let crops mature).

These are very valid and key points, and a SMART raider leader will realize these things too.

So, if we faced such a group, and combat seemed a pretty losing proposition (or even a costly one), our goal instead would be to strike a deal.

They want food, water, etc. We want to be left alone, to do what we do.

Both goals can be achieved, and without risk to each side. We could leverage some food, water, and services for not only leaving us be, but also trading items they got on raids that they won't need or use on the go. A smart raider leader would realize we'd be a much better resource IN PLACE than a one-time target. (Of course, we'd always have our defenses and contingencies for double-cross, etc.)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I suspect fire is going to be your biggest threat from anyone showing aggression if you're holed up anywhere. Historically raiders have torched things when they're refused tribute. So unless your shelter is made of something that doesn't burn easily, a few molotovs could ruin your day easily. And if they can't get to you, there may be some assets at your location they'd torch out of spite which may harm use of your location in the long run. And keep in mind that it's pretty easy to rig something to launch incendiaries (from military-grade phosphorous rounds to spud-guns launching home-brew napalm), so you'd also have to re-think that good marksman skills will be enough to keep them out of range.

So how to deal with fire suppression?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

Concealment.

Nobody is coming for your stuff if nobody knows there is anything of value there.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

So how to deal with fire suppression?

It is a challenge, no doubt. We do have way more extinguishers than any normal sane person would, simply due to it being a fear my wife has. The main house itself is concrete block, but of course, interior walls and the roof are vulnerable to it. We do have some fire-retardant roof material, etc. incorporated, but I wouldn't trust it with purposeful incendiaries.

Post SHTF, I'd likely put some metal roofing over the shingles, just as an added layer of protection. But really, burning the trees near the house would be pretty effective too, so it's just one thing that I really can't do too much about. If that was the tactic, we'd have to bug out using the alternate routes, and pretty much start anew elsewhere. Talk about last ditch plan though. (and of course, I'd be sure to wreak some terrible revenge on such folks, hehe)....or die trying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join