It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: 2 U.S. Navy Boats Held by Iran Military

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: yesyesyes

IKR, why can't they just whip up some false narrative to carpet bomb this NEW "Gaddafi", "Saddam", "Russian xxxxx", Kim-Jong-xx", "Kony" "insert your own bogey man". . .

Meanwhile, united states is in how many countries killing how many civilians?? Amongst other devious plots?

- Funny, their footprint NEVER brings POSITIVE results - digest that.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Now we hear the men were not treated well. Our Sailors had more than a few parting words for the Iranians. With those two gun boats loaded with weapons they could have taken out every boat they sent out against them before help showed up. Every former Spec ops or military personnel who knows that boat have all said this is the dumbest thing they ever heard of.

No way even ten Iranian Boston Whalers with one .50 cal on their bows got any advantage over these Gun Boats with two mini guns, three 50cal, countless SAWs, Mark 19 grenade launchers and M16s on each boat. Never mind the missiles tucked away for distant larger threats. These things are tanks for the water. You cant tell me this happened like they say, especially since more than a few F-18S would have provided cover for them until helicopter gun ships could show up and turn anything left into splinters.

The only way this went down is a direct stand down order was given to the gun boats but the U.S. and French Carrier group acted in a hostile manner according to the press. Maybe we will learn about more Captains being relieved of command soon for wanting to destroy everything on that island and rescue the men before the boats could make it back there. The Navy does NOT leave its men to fall into
enemy hands like this.

edit on 19-1-2016 by Patriotsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

It would have been SO much better to invade Iran, and kill them all, even though WE were in the wrong by entering their waters. I mean, why let diplomacy handle this, when we could have started another war!

Odd, I seem to remember the Navy letting their aviators fall into "enemy" hands on Hainan Island not too long ago. And for a hell of a lot longer too, before they agreed to much more embarrassing terms to get them released.
edit on 1/19/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge
Now we hear the men were not treated well. Our Sailors had more than a few parting words for the Iranians. With those two gun boats loaded with weapons they could have taken out every boat they sent out against them before help showed up. Every former Spec ops or military personnel who knows that boat have all said this is the dumbest thing they ever heard of.

No way even ten Iranian Boston Whalers with one .50 cal on their bows got any advantage over these Gun Boats with two mini guns, three 50cal, countless SAWs, Mark 19 grenade launchers and M16s on each boat. Never mind the missiles tucked away for distant larger threats. These things are tanks for the water. You cant tell me this happened like they say, especially since more than a few F-18S would have provided cover for them until helicopter gun ships could show up and turn anything left into splinters.

The only way this went down is a direct stand down order was given to the gun boats but the U.S. and French Carrier group acted in a hostile manner according to the press. Maybe we will learn about more Captains being relieved of command soon for wanting to destroy everything on that island and rescue the men before the boats could make it back there. The Navy does NOT leave its men to fall into
enemy hands like this.

What are you talking about? If you are adrift with mechanical problems and end up in another nations waters you do not start shooting when they show up. Now that would be stupid and get you a courts martial if you survived. This is a peace time incident with a nation we are not at war with. Man, imagine them being stupid enough to start shooting. That would be like the US Coast Guard finding a Russian war ship adrift in US water and the Russians start shooting. Let us try and use some common sense here.

And the Navy began to look for them, radioed the Iranian Navy and Coast Guard. The the USS Anzio was radioed by the Iranians that they had 10 safe and healthy.

What the heck else would you want? Maybe you remember a ship called the USS Pueblo and how that went down. The North Koreans still have it and use it as a museum.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Call me dumb... but... did the Iranians return all of the weapons, ammo, commo gear, sim cards etc etc?

Or were the sailors and stripped boats what was released?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
a reply to: MrSpad

Call me dumb... but... did the Iranians return all of the weapons, ammo, commo gear, sim cards etc etc?

Or were the sailors and stripped boats what was released?

Everything was returned except two sim cards belonging to satellite phones. (ammo, weapons, gear was all present).

Here is where the Pentagon story continues to get hinky - TWO boats go drifting into Iranian waters, due to one of them having mechanical trouble. Couldn't the one tow the other out? Then the crews DO NOTHING to destroy sensitive equipment like the phones/sim cards. I was on board a cruiser, something that was never likely to drift into enemy waters or be boarded, but even we had instructions on burning/destroying anything intelligence related. I'm certain that these crews would have instructions for tossing something like those phones overboard in the event of being picked up in enemy waters.

I believe that these boats were purposely drifted into Iranian waters to test Iran's response, to plant something like those SIM cards, and even to embarrass the POTUS since it happened during the SOTU.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

That's possible... I don't buy the "accidentally straying " due to mechanical failure, but I could be wrong...

I think Iran got what they wanted with the video footage.... it will play well to those that gov't funds...

Interesting to see that something so small as a sim card is considered worthy of seizure...

I guess we are definitely in the age of cyber warfare...

I hope the US is on top of that...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Doesn't anyone find it even remotely curious that just days after this event there is a major breakthrough hostage release deal with Iran??

How odd...or is it?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think that is more likely tied to end of sanctions and the US dropping over a billion in money on them. Of course there could have been mention that if the sailors are not released quickly, all bets on the economic changes on the way are off.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think that is more likely tied to end of sanctions and the US dropping over a billion in money on them. Of course there could have been mention that if the sailors are not released quickly, all bets on the economic changes on the way are off.

The USA is not giving them money.

They are just unfreezing banks acounts that were frozen in sanctions.

Thats not out of the US tax payers pockets, it not out of anyones pockets.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The United States is to repay Iran a $400 million debt and $1.3 billion in interest dating to the Islamic revolution,
The repayment, which settles a suit brought under an international legal tribunal, is separate from the tens of billions of dollars in frozen foreign accounts that Iran can now access after the end of nuclear sanctions.

He went on to say all of the US claims against Iran at the tribunal had long been settled

Law suit money. I guess it could all be lumped into a punishing Iran argument.

edit:

Thats not out of the US tax payers pockets, it not out of anyones pockets.

May not be true but Reagan's crew made some money from Iran by selling weapons so it's probably a wash.
edit on 1/20/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
This is concerning to me, more to follow - what in the world were they thinking, and what will our military make of this...

www.nbcnews.com...

Iranian military forces seized two U.S. Navy boats and are holding them on the Irans Farsi Island in the middle of the Persian Gulf in custody, U.S. officials told NBC News.

Officials said it's unclear whether the 10 American sailors who were aboard one of the small riverine boat had strayed into Iranian territorial waters before they were captured. But

The officials said the Americans were on a training mission when their boat experienced mechanical difficulty and drifted into Iranian-claimed waters and were seized by Iranian Coast guard.

edit on 12-1-2016 by ReadLeader because:

Thanks for informing!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Update on the story.

According to the report, the sailors originally set out from Kuwait for Bahrain but quickly -- and unknowingly -- went off course and headed almost directly for Iran's Farsi Island in the middle of the Persian Gulf.

The report found that several factors may have contributed to the failure:

The sailors had never made the trip before.
They had been up most of the night before conducting maintenance on one of the boats that had broken down.
They had to "cannibalize" parts from a third boat in order to have two working vessels.
They then experienced problems with their satellite communications gear.

All of this led them to leaving port later than planned.

In addition, they did not conduct a standard operational briefing for themselves prior to setting sail, during which they would have had fully reviewed their route and navigation plan.

The approved navigation path would have had them sail in international waters between the Iranian coastline and the eastern side of Farsi Island as they moved south toward Bahrain. Instead, they were significantly off course, sailing on the western side of the island.

The report also indicated that the sailors were not aware of Farsi Island's location.

Link

edit on 3/2/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join