It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economists savage Trump's economic agenda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

You never answered my question. Do you think the economy is better today than in 2008?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: intrptr

So if Obama isn't to blame for the low wages then why was that point brought up in the first place?

The point I made is Trump is lying.

Big Business don't care about US, only profit.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

You never answered my question. Do you think the economy is better today than in 2008?

I think I did but, let me reword my response.

No.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Goodness, you are ill informed.

Dem or Rep, doesn't matter because the bank cartel owns the oval office.

Obama owns his role in the willful destruction of our Constitutional rights, signing into law the act allowing the government to ignore due process, to legally detain any citizen, at any time, for any length of time, if they decide to. And kill at will, any citizen, anywhere, for perceived "terrorist activities".

Are you ok with this ...?

By my assessment, the Bush family is rotten to their very core. Both Georges deserve to go straight to ...

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

No.

Then I don't know how to continue this conversation. Reality says you are wrong. Again, the economy isn't perfect, but saying the economy is worse today than in 2008 is just a flat out lie.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Better for who. The rich are getting richer sure, and the poor are getting poorer.

What pie chart you reading?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Better for who. The rich are getting richer sure, and the poor are getting poorer.

What pie chart you reading?

How do the poor get poorer if in 2008 they were unemployed and today they are employed (even IF that employment is just minimum wage)?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

So if Obama isn't to blame for the low wages then why was that point brought up in the first place?

The point I made is Trump is lying.

Big Business don't care about US, only profit.

Well in that we are in agreement. I've maintained that Trump is neither a Republican or a Democrat. He's just a narcissist, and narcissists only care about one thing.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Tariffs will only work if national products can match the prices of imported products. However that won't happen as wages play a key part, you can make a small profit by employing locals at ten bucks an hour or you can outsource a job for ten bucks a month. Another problem is that people are more wary and frugal after the GFC so they will penny pinch and buy overseas products as they are cheaper even if local produce is better quality.

Encouraging folk to buy locally is the only way to promote jobs and growth but that's far easier said than done.

edit on 11-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

link   

No.

Then I don't know how to continue this conversation. Reality says you are wrong. Again, the economy isn't perfect, but saying the economy is worse today than in 2008 is just a flat out lie.

How many people do you know whose income went up since 2008?

How many people do you know who are out of work?

How many people do you know who believe that Obama has improved the economy of the US?

The only lie I see is the unemployment numbers.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

In the end it is the banks that benefit more than any one other entity or establishment.

End the Fed, bite the bullet when the pangs come....

....Or enjoy another War....

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

No.

My income went up considerably in that time frame for one. But then again, I don't like proving statistical data with anecdotes. It's lazy arguing and not conclusive in the slightest.

Barely any (actually no one). Even my perpetually broke buddy has a much better job now than he did then. Again, anecdotes though.

How many people do you know who believe that Obama has improved the economy of the US?

I don't know, I try not to discuss politics socially because I happen to like my friends.

Well that's convenient. Data conflicts with your confirmation bias? Call it a lie. Lol.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

It's rather clear that Trump is just saying things that sound good without actually thinking through his plans to see what they'd do.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

In the end it is the banks that benefit more than any one other entity or establishment.

End the Fed, bite the bullet when the pangs come....

....Or enjoy another War....

I agree, ending the fed is the necessary first step to restoring a viable market economy.

Next would be ending all socio-economic interventionism.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

How are rising prices making them richer, again?

The 800 pound gorilla in the room, endless debt, endless war, you think thats going to change, get better? For who?

'Defense' industry and banks are the only ones showing 'improvement'.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

No.

My income went up considerably in that time frame for one. But then again, I don't like proving statistical data with anecdotes. It's lazy arguing and not conclusive in the slightest.

Barely any (actually no one). Even my perpetually broke buddy has a much better job now than he did then. Again, anecdotes though.

I don't know, I try not to discuss politics socially because I happen to like my friends.

Well that's convenient. Data conflicts with your confirmation bias? Call it a lie. Lol.

You are actually one of the few people I know who doesn't roll their eyes at the stats that come out of the DOL.

The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment

There's no other way to say this. The official unemployment rate, which cruelly overlooks the suffering of the long-term and often permanently unemployed as well as the depressingly underemployed, amounts to a Big Lie.

Right now, we're hearing much celebrating from the media, the White House and Wall Street about how unemployment is "down" to 5.6%. The cheerleading for this number is deafening. The media loves a comeback story, the White House wants to score political points and Wall Street would like you to stay in the market.

None of them will tell you this: If you, a family member or anyone is unemployed and has subsequently given up on finding a job -- if you are so hopelessly out of work that you've stopped looking over the past four weeks -- the Department of Labor doesn't count you as unemployed. That's right. While you are as unemployed as one can possibly be, and tragically may never find work again, you are not counted in the figure we see relentlessly in the news -- currently 5.6%. Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed. Trust me, the vast majority of them aren't throwing parties to toast "falling" unemployment.

There's another reason why the official rate is misleading. Say you're an out-of-work engineer or healthcare worker or construction worker or retail manager: If you perform a minimum of one hour of work in a week and are paid at least $20 -- maybe someone pays you to mow their lawn -- you're not officially counted as unemployed in the much-reported 5.6%. Few Americans know this.

edit on 11-1-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

How are rising prices making them richer, again?

The 800 pound gorilla in the room, endless debt, endless war, you think thats going to change, get better? For who?

'Defense' industry and banks are the only ones showing 'improvement'.

Well yea. I'm not arguing that we've solved all of our problems or that our economy is as good as it ever could be, but it is DEFINITELY better than it used to be. That is a point that is unarguable.

Keep in mind, with Trump in charge, expect the Defense industry to see WAY more improvements than they are seeing under Obama (who I might add is perpetually the ire of the MIC since they are always complaining about him trying to slash military budgets).

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

No.

You are actually one of the few people I know who doesn't roll their eyes at the stats that come out of the DOL.

Well unless you have anything better to show, I see no reason to just dismiss data just because I don't like it. I find that it is a bad habit to just distrust statistical data just because you are paranoid.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

No.

Well unless you have anything better to show, I see no reason to just dismiss data just because I don't like it. I find that it is a bad habit to just distrust statistical data just because you are paranoid.

I added a gallup link for you to the post above.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

No.

I added a gallup link for you to the post above.

That is an article whining about U6 not getting as much press as U3. Those articles pop up every now and then, but hey check out this graph of U6:

Source

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join