It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is something wrong with the moon?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
What does this mean if it was a slip and not an honest mistake? That not only the moon is farther away than what the textbooks say, it is also much larger than it actually is...

One method people use to measure the distance to the moon is by reflecting a laser off of the mirrors set up on the moon just for that purpose. To do so takes some relatively specialized equipment, but the equipment is not so specialized that only NASA could do it. many institutes of higher education have such equipment.

A more mundane method for finding the distance to the Moon is the parallax method. Parallax could be done by just about anyone with a modest telescope (well, maybe two people in two different locations on Earth with two telescopes) and a little math. The parallax method uses the relative location of the Moon (relative to a star or planet that the moon crosses in front of) as seen from two far enough apart locations...

...The idea being that a person viewing the Moon in, say, England would see the relationship of the Moon to the background stars slightly differently than a person looking at the Moon at the exact same time from, say, Toronto. That slight difference can be measured and the measurement could be used in a relatively straightforward calculation to determine distance.

And all of the could be done by just normal people without any input or data from NASA.

edit on 1/14/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: captainpudding

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

` it looks wrong to me , and i dont understand why ... so it must be wrong `

That is literally the entire premise of the entire moon hoax conspiracy.
I don't understand how cameras work HOAX
I don't understand how shadows work HOAX
I don't understand how gravity works HOAX
I don't understand anything HOAX

Here is a great thread about the gravity and the braking distance

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Sorry folks, couldn't find von Braun's last interview. I gave up searching on YouTube and ended up watching a lot of pole dancers on Dailymotion 'til I passed out, yeah... I may have drank a little too much, I still have a headache. If I happen to find it ,I'll post it here with the Farrell interview where I heard it from.

From wildespace:
Somewhere that doesn't mention UFOs, pyramids, secret bases or alien structures.

The transient lunar phenomena are often associated as UFO sightings on the moon, the phenomena includes orbs and clouds of sometimes purple haze, which makes me wonder if Prince (or The Artist Formerly Known as or was it Jimmy Hendrix) had something to do with it. Ingo Swann's Penetration is a great read, somehow the moon never looked the same to me after reading that book.

Regarding the pyramid/s on the moon, NASA hired Dr. Farouk El-Baz, an Egyptian geologist to select the landing sites for the Appolo missions. Dr. El-Baz is also a Director of the Center for Remote Sensing and Research Professor at the Departments of Archaeology and Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Associated Faculty at the Department of Earth and Environment, Boston University. Hmmm.

Secret bases or alien structures? To quote Richard Hoagland, "It only takes a single white crow to prove that not all crows are black." Imagine all those seemingly anomalous pictures of the moon from the pre-Apollo missions of the Russians to the pictures from the Chinese Space Progam that's available on-line, what if just one of them proves to be trully anomalous? Remember Carl Wolf from the Disclosure Project?

originally posted by: hellobruce
Why not measure it yourself?
I would love to but my math is rusty. Thanks for the link. The reason why I mentioned it was because in some circles, the moon is also known as Newton's headache. Sir Isaac couldn't quite get his computations right. I'm sure it was resolved long ago but maybe, just maybe we don't need to really know the distance of the moon from earth from NASA's point of view, a ballpark figure will be fine for the textbooks? Just my take, not to mention Dr. Pari Spolter's take on it.

Anyways, lots of info to sift through.

Soylent Green Is People thank you for that explanation.

Can someone please teach me how to properly quote replies? I feel like an idiot.

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

rob skiba does a decent vid on you tube debunking his exact same thoughts about the size of the earth looking incorrect.

Worth a look, it's flat earth stuff but if you are not into that, his vid is worth a look just for this

edit on 15-1-2016 by drevill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Regarding the pyramid/s on the moon, NASA hired Dr. Farouk El-Baz, an Egyptian geologist to select the landing sites for the Appolo missions.

He apparently did a good job of that, as

His outstanding teaching abilities were confirmed by the Apollo astronauts. While orbiting the Moon for the first time during Apollo 15, Command Module Pilot Alfred Worden said, "After the King's [Farouk's nickname] training, I feel like I've been here before."[5

Remember Carl Wolf from the Disclosure Project?

There is no evidence for pyramids on the moon.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Regarding the pyramid/s on the moon, NASA hired Dr. Farouk El-Baz, an Egyptian geologist to select the landing sites for the Appolo missions. Dr. El-Baz is also a Director of the Center for Remote Sensing and Research Professor at the Departments of Archaeology and Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Associated Faculty at the Department of Earth and Environment, Boston University. Hmmm.

Secret bases or alien structures? To quote Richard Hoagland, "It only takes a single white crow to prove that not all crows are black." Imagine all those seemingly anomalous pictures of the moon from the pre-Apollo missions of the Russians to the pictures from the Chinese Space Progam that's available on-line, what if just one of them proves to be trully anomalous? Remember Carl Wolf from the Disclosure Project?

Pyramid, no.

lockerdome.com...

As you can see in the sequence shown above, which includes the “pyramid” photo, there are many objects which could have formed the triangular image in the photo in question. Further, it appears that the camera was aimed at the LRV floor during the entire sequence, as one magazine was unloaded and the next was loaded. It does not stand to reason that image 80 would be focused on a distant object during in the middle of this unloading and loading phase, while all of the images before and after it show the LRV floor.

The grainy image of a “pyramid” on the moon appears to be an image shot of the Lunar Rover Vehicle’s floor as the film was being changed in the camera.

Not a pyramid on the moon.

edit on 15-1-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Thank you guys for pointing that out, No pyramids on the moon. Got that. I may be reading from the wrong sources or I'm still a bit drunk.

Again regarding the issue about the accurate distance of the moon from earth, maybe some of you are familiar with Rupert Sheldrake's controversial TED Talk? Where he pointed out that the speed of light which was taught to us as absolute fluctuated at various times in the past, and that the same goes with gravity. Here's the vid:

Is this a pattern of fudging the figures?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

Like I said, I'm not looking for any of that. I'm looking for the actual, genuine reports of TLPs from the astronomy comunity, such as changes in brightness and/or colour, haze, etc.

Anyone can say "just Google it", but I was hoping that someone who follows the astronomy closely might be aware of TLP reports in the recent years and share them with us.

So far, I found these two articles on the topic:
www.universetoday.com...
news.nationalgeographic.com...

So NASA hired a geologist, who's an expert in topography, to help select Apollo landing sites, as well as train the astronauts in skills of visual observation and photography. I don't see anything conspiratorial (or anything related to pyramids) here, sorry.
edit on 15-1-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace
Have you also checked this? Although the latest was 2009, there are also several links there for further reading.

So the Egyptian connection was too much of a stretch?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So the Egyptian connection was too much of a stretch?

You place a special significance on a person because he happens to be an Egyptian. But what if NASA employed a cat for the same role? That would have been a lot more suspicious!

For the cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. He is the soul of antique Aegyptus, and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroë and Ophir. He is the kin of the jungle’s lords, and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa. The Sphinx is his cousin, and he speaks her language; but he is more ancient than the Sphinx, and remembers that which she hath forgotten."
—The Cats of Ulthar

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I love cats. We have a pair of Siamese, not Egyptian.

I just remembered from reading the link that stonerwilliam gave (thanks, an intriguing thread from mikesingh), regarding von Braun's last interview, it had something to do with the distance of neutral point between the earth and moon's gravity. So von Braun implied a much farther distance. Chances are, I will likely find that Farrell interview more than von Braun's last, and I will post it here for those who are still interested.

Just one of the perks of being sober every once in a while, which also reminds me, will it be possible for ATS to have a short mandatory sobriety test before logging in?

Keep sifting through the pile people, we might find a few nuggets.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Just one of the perks of being sober every once in a while

I might have been a wee bit tipsy when I posted that comment about cats.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: donktheclown

These things need to be searched for by you.

utter bollox

the alledged evidence for these claims needs to be provided by the claimant

Hmm
Well, if one is to believe Erik from Channeling Erik, then that in itself is evidence.
Erik, from channeling Erik, is a ghost after all, a entity being channeled through a medium to discuss all the secrets of the universe.
I would say then that if someone can prove Erik is indeed being channeled from the afterlife, then I personally would take anything he says as golden, and also find the moon landing controversy about as interesting as a sneeze by comparison of proving a continued dialog with someone who died and continues to talk.

So yeah..if Erik gives evidence of a ufo cover up...I think that would be the least remarkable event under those circumstances

sidenote: the channeling erik channel is at least some pretty great fiction..and if I ever decide to believe in something spiritual, I am totally picking that one up verses a religion...if I decide I need to believe in something that is. for now, I am fine being a open minded skeptic.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

Nothing wrong with the Moon just youtube IDIOTS understanding of optics & photography focal length focal length focal length.

Here is an example

This is a picture of a small statue in front of a church

Here shot from a few feet further away using a longer focal length lens to keep the statue approximately the same size in the frame.

Now do you think the church is still the same distance from the statute or did it move closer when the photgrapher was changing lenses.

Focal length changes perspective.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with the Moon, but there is plenty wrong with the various ATSers here.

So there!

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Why do so many people end up taking the *exact* same picture with a 415 mm lens?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

How many people can you feed with 5 loaves and 2 fish?

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

You can find anything you want in random grainy photos, this almost looks like a ghost guitar.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
never mind

edit on 22 1 2017 by MysterX because: deleted

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join