It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea conducts 'successful' hydrogen bomb test

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

The tech was developed in the 40's. Uranium comes from enriched rocks. If there are uranium deposits in NK they easily could come up with their own fuel.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin id a hydrogen bomb different from a nuclear bomb? I heard they implode vs nukes explode

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin If we supposedly invaded Iraq because of wmds, how come no one has even suggested invading N.K.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gnosisisfaith
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin If we supposedly invaded Iraq because of wmds, how come no one has even suggested invading N.K.

Because they actually have them

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnosisisfaith

Hydrogen bombs initiate the explosion with fission then use fusion. They still explode but it's more powerful than a straight fission device.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gnosisisfaith

For the time being it's better to keep them contained. They still don't have a delivery system for their weapons.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99
That sounds accurate.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That sounds accurate.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Are h bombs radioactive? Hydrogen is all around us, how did they weaponize it?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnosisisfaith

Yes, they're just as radioactive as any other nuclear weapon. As far as I understand, and Bedlam or one of the others can correct or expand on this, they use hydrogen isotopes. Tritium is a popular one, and is radioactive.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: Bedlam

In your opinion what does NK have? Enriching the ingredients is obviously not an easy task, and detectable by not even being there, but how much do you think they might have?

It's been a long time since I saw the data, but they had one big production run from a reactor that wasn't the best but it was pu, and they had chemically separated it for use. It was about 8-10 devices worth of material, if you knew what you were doing. But it was really bad stuff.

I don't know if they subsequently fired the reactor up and made another run, because I didn't keep up with it anymore.

If they had some U-235, they could likely work with what they have. But it would still be tricky.

I hate to discredit NK lately, especially since the last couple years they seem to bark less than usual. I don't think doom and gloom with them, but I do think they may have achieved a "dud" h-bomb. If so, getting that trigger reaction is the baby step, from there it's just a matter of scale right? Or am I completely wrong?

Most people need more of a primary than that for their first shot. And the secondary design requires some tough work and materials they probably don't have lying around. Not to say they can't do it. But most people didn't manage to do it so far. The US, UK, China, France, and the USSR are the only countries that have successfully popped off a secondary, although you can sort of bet Israel has at least a very good chance by being provided the design. Although I didn't say that.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Frocharocha

I'm just wondering how North korea got the tech and uranium to build hydrogen bombs...Just wondering.

Well, they aren't using enriched uranium, because we took care of that some years back. Heh.

They'd LIKE to use uranium, because it's the easiest thing to use, and there's a design out there that's known to work you can buy, if you're a government. But they don't have a lot of enriched uranium, although I hear they're working on new centrifuges at Yongbyon, and eventually they may have enough of a cascade to start producing decent quantity of bomb grade material.

THAT'S when they'll be dangerous again. And if you had some good uranium, you could, if you were careful and clever, use it along with the crappy plutonium you get from the Yongbyon reactor and have a nice hybrid.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Come on,bro!! The US government said it wasn't a hydrogen bomb...NOPE,just a small atomic bomb. No worries! a reply to: daaskapital

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So basically they put their stock in crappy grade p239? I thought they had at least some enriched uranium to call it a H-bomb, but then again North Korea is the only country to house unicorns.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

So basically they put their stock in crappy grade p239?

It's why all the fizzle yield weaponry so far.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

That makes sense, if they had better they wouldn't hesitate to show it off. It takes a lot of that crappy pu to make the little fizzle they did right? No wonder tests run 5 years apart for duds

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

So basically they put their stock in crappy grade p239? I thought they had at least some enriched uranium to call it a H-bomb, but then again North Korea is the only country to house unicorns.

Unicorn poop has a lot of uranium in it. Them making nuclear weapons is proof they have the unicorns.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Constant Phoenix

The scoop on the side is what they sample with. There's one on either side. The crew can test in real time to determine if a test was nuclear or not.

Japan also sent a C-130 and several T-4 aircraft to the area to take samples as well.

Interestingly this particular aircraft was the sister of one of the C-135Bs that was used as a VIP transport at Hickam until the 1990s. They both started as WC-135s, then ours was converted to a C-135, while this one stayed as a WC-135.
edit on 1/8/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Zaph, I clearly see a chemtrail releaser above the wing. The guys in suits below confirm it's a chemtrail

(I'm sorry I couldn't resist, awesome pic!)

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

There's one on the other side too, so they release from either side and don't raise suspicions.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join