It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea conducts 'successful' hydrogen bomb test

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Very doubtful on the fusion weapon. Fission maybe, but not fusion.

A fusion reaction is a significantly more energetic reaction, as it involves the atomic structure around the device itself.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

That's good enough to hit neighbors though, we all know a mainland US attack is just not possible from NK, unless they have midget subs on our coasts packed with nukes.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

They have achieved fission tech, that in itself can be the trigger...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Rather than a proper H bomb, it's more probable that NK used a boosted fission device like the old Orange Herald one we tried in the 50s.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

There are conflicting reports-some say it is, some say it isn't.

Either way that chubby little bugger Kim Jung Un would be spinning this news until the reporters are dizzy. That kid should not be allowed to breed and that pathetic dynasty needs to die with him.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Ohhh interesting news

could very well just have been a earthquake but i the same breath this could also have been a nuclear test given the location. If it is a nuclear test this this will have been the fourth nuclear device the have detonated, the other times never lead to war there is no reason this one will be any different. However it is also worth keeping in mind that if this is a nuclear detonation it is at a time when tensions in the region are very high between DPRK and South Korea along with China and Japan.

Most sources right now seem to be saying its a earthquake.

I agree with you. But..... When hasn't the tension in that area been high? Its always high. Lol

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
bedlam,

can we dust off the old flashlight again and shine a little light on Kims facility and remind him of the past. put him in his place?

or are the folks in charge right now too big of weenies to give NK 511 problems?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Well, that is not good that they figured out the fusion based Thermonuclear bomb. A leap forward in design and development. Also, potential power yield.

It would be a perfect EMP weapon if detonated at the right height and locale. It is a very dangerous situation to have thermonuclear weapons on the Korean Peninsula.

For starters, South Korea and Japan have said in the past if this was the case, they would build their own bombs. Kim Jong Un/il? is too unstable in his mind and behavior and all that would need to happen is he lob one on SK. If so, the US has an approved battle plan to decimate the southern part of North Korea with nukes to prevent ground forces from crossing the DMZ, Then of course his C2C and weapons development facilities. It would draw China in most likely out of pure self defense if nothing else. But, who might they attack?

Wow, it just seems like hot spot after hot spot are reaching points critical enough to unravel the best laid plans of the globalists and see a good portion of the world a smoking crater. Containment is the key thing if something nuclear kicks off in North Korea, and then in India/Pakistan, well you won't need to worry about global warming any more. We will have a nuclear winter even with those limited theaters in play. Write us off if the big 3 get in on it.

edit on 6/1/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It's the herby derb North Korea in the gibby nobby. It goes with all the durdy saper dies.

Also why all the bombs be hoockey here for the itchy boo.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
bedlam,

can we dust off the old flashlight again and shine a little light on Kims facility and remind him of the past. put him in his place?

or are the folks in charge right now too big of weenies to give NK 511 problems?

As long as he keeps using up his plutonium and having duds, we're ok with it.

If his uranium separation gets going again, it'll be another Korean Lesson, but it depends on the president. Bush, you bet. Obama, more likely to use it on Israel.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
NK claims it was a "successful miniaturized hydrogen bomb" test. Could this be an unsuccessful hydrogen bomb test, where they managed to set off the stage 1 ("normal nuke") blast but failed to detonate the big final blast? I thought hydrogen bomb blasts were bigger. There was some sort of a nuke blast, ok. But I suspect that their claims of a "miniaturized" version of it might be a cover-up of their hydrogen test actually failed. Didn't anyone catch this blast via a satellite or something (i.e. Russia or the US)? What advantage would a "mini-hydrogen bomb" have over a normal nuke? I thought the whole idea of a hydrogen bomb was to make a huge blast. Am I missing something? Any proof or signs of this actually being a multi-stage blast? If North Korea claims it, I'd want more evidence than their word for it...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Hellmutt

It wasn't even large enough to be a successful boosted primary. If it was supposed to be a thermonuclear device, it's yet another dud.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

If they get uppity enough what are the odds we could use the flashlight again or is that a one time deal and not likely in the future, cause it seemed like a good solution at the time.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

This has been going on with North Korea forever...

It is a shake-down...

He wants to stay in power and play mad-king, just like his father, but his country is starving..

He tells his people the West is evil and he is God...but his people are starving to death.

So he invests in Nuclear Bombs and threatens the West...I will stop building bombs if you sent me food and medical aid.

In reality..if he ever launched a Nuclear Weapon...North Korea would be wiped from the map and he knows it. He has no defenses, his military is crap...It's a suicidal bluff..

He wants more food and aid so he can keep playing king...the guy is nuts.

So the question is, do we put together another deal? Have him agree to stop building nuclear technology and we will send food and aid? Or do we let North Korea collapse...will he commit suicide and launch? He is doing a good job of convincing the world he is crazy enough...But continuing to support his regime by sending the people food and medical supplies? Yes humanitarian, but also helping him stay in power..

I'd think black-ops would be a 3rd option...Maybe a drone or sniper takes him out? There are plenty of Military generals in North Korea waiting to take over and any of them are more sane than he is..I think he executes a few every year? The last was his uncle and via a rocket launcher he fired if memory serves...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Guys, guys...you're getting all worked up over nothing. All this blather about hydrogen bombs, UN special meetings and the like is much ado about nothing.

Look, China would FLATTEN NK in one New York second if they were even remotely close to having anything meaningful!! And they would know too. There's no way China would risk their whole economy by letting their crazy next door neighbor destabilize the entire region. Just NOT going to happen. Period.

You're letting the MSM get you all spun up over nothing. If people want something to worry about; worry about Iran. Oh wait, Obama gave away the farm there. No, really worry about Iran.

NK is just a convenient distraction which fits conveniently into a 60 second news byte. You're being duped!!!

edit on 1/6/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Delivery systems could well be a issue, but just what would happen if there was a undeteced infiltration tunnel??...

Granted Long odds but in warfare it is not like it has not happened before...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You make a very valid point. Lots going on in our on country and the world... but let's freak out about the crazy boy king.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
so the west gets antsy when NK tests nukes, not the US. we detonate NUKES for testing all the time, no one bats an eye.

let NK test nukes, they can do so as a country. we have the most NUKES and dropped them on another country, im not sure where the UN was then.

maybe NK had an ambiguous detonation of something. if numbers dont lie, then, NK is not the NUKE threat to the world; its others.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

If they get uppity enough what are the odds we could use the flashlight again or is that a one time deal and not likely in the future, cause it seemed like a good solution at the time.

They've only got enough material for a few more duds, until they get their centrifuge setup working again, if they do.

It's damned tough to use badly made plutonium in a Pu-only weapon. They have my sympathy.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I wouldn't feel bad for them.

So no need this time around, not likely in the future with NK cause good luck to them getting their centrifuge working again?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join