It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1
and now a 6.0Mwp usgs, will probably come down.
5.7 Geofon

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

I assume you noted the YOUTUBE about the beach balls that I posted a page or 3 back? No biggy. Just didn't want you to miss it in the press of all your other interests and duties.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I did.

And thank you again for posting.

Good stuff.

We have alot of informative information on the Quake Watch thread. I can't tell you how many times I go back and read stuff. I have learned sooooo much from this thread.

Thank you to all of our contributors.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I opened the other links but not the Utube one. I don't have any sound on my laptop, been broken for about a year, I took it in for repair under the warranty which has already expired, but we have a Consumers guarantee here which covers ex warranty claims, and then no computer for a month while they fixed it, got it back and the sound only lasted a week or two then gone again. I just put up with it, not worth the hassle to send for repair again.
Guess I'm what you might call e-deaf

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
further to: muzzy
yeah 5.8Mww now on conversion
but they still have Mwp on the front page,
which is unusual as IRIS also are sticking with Mwp
if you look down the list on IRIS you will see MWp is not a normal type of magnitude.
the usgs web site has become such a mess now, I basically just go to IRIS these days for the big quakes info.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I don't think you exactly need sound on that one.

I don't recall if it has CCaptions or not. But the visual is very explanatory.

Thanks for y'all's replies.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
O OK then I'll take a look at it.
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In preparation of doing a complete Vanuatu mapping project I made some new icons based on my old orbs/marbles.
Because icons only show at 32x32 pixels on any internet mapping format it is really hard to get text onto them.
So what I have done is leave the . out when putting the magnitude number on them
50 instead of 5.1, 53 instead of 5.3 etc
Do you think this is too confusing?
example here on Bing Maps
Vanuatu 1970
I would like to do this across all my Blogs, but the problem is again with the mapping systems, they only allow 31 different icons max.
I've got 3200 earthquakes above M5 in the last 46 years for Vanuatu and SE of the Loyalty Islands, which in effect covers the New Hebrides Trench North and South.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
or we could go forward to the past
and use squares, of various sizes
there are two shades of orange for 5's
the darker one is 5.6-5.9
I might make the 5.0-5.5 a bit smaller to really differentiate them
Vanuatu 1970 with square icons
based on 5.6 is about the tipping point where, if you are in it, you tend to look around for escape routes, even if you don't actually move from where you are.

I never really liked the old usgs squares, but that was only because they were full 100% opacity, you couldn't see any smaller quakes under the big ones, at 50% opacity it works.
I note that most of the internal US Networks still use squares.

I like these newones, light weight.
The old orb icons kind of look "heavy" now.
All this to make it work on Bing Maps!!!

i figured out what the problem was with Bing not showing icons, but still don't understand WHY
its in the http: versus https:
Now that I have it sussed out, I hope they don't go and do a Google and change everything just for the sake of it.

edit on 0400000012012016 by muzzy because: edit: 5.05-5.5 icons now reduced in size

edit: Ooops I deleted the KMZ for the first style by mistake, never mind I'm going with the squares anyway.
Vanuatu will be posted under the name melanesiaearthquakes, which used to be the recent flop chinaearthquakes blog (only 187 views in a month), that was a dud due to big gaps in the Chinese data.
I called it melanesia because that gives me the option to include Papua, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Santa Cruz Islands, Vanuatu Islands, New Caledonia and Fiji if I wish later.

edit on 0400000012012016 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 0400000012012016 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
further to: muzzy
I have taken this a bit further and made more square icons down to the ~1 level.
Rather than change the entire icon file, I am running a trial on japanearthquakes, just for the Bing Maps for now

Japan 29.04.2016 page
or direct links to the maps below
first 200 of 272
if you zoom into Kyushu near Beppu you can see what I was saying about the small ones showing through the big ones (M4 yellow square).
last 72 of 272
top 200 of 230 below M1

I think it works quite well, at first glance when the map opens you can see the clusters, perhaps better than with the upside down rain drop or the old orbs.
It doesn't work quite as well on Birds Eye or Aerial views, but those views on Bing are terrible anyway.
May also be an issue on newzealandearthquakes, with the detailed Topo Map the smaller squares maybe getting lost amongst all the map detailing, roads, peaks, huts etc.
I'll run it just for the Bing versions I think. I do like the Bing Road map style, it is quite a clean map, even down to the 10 metre level which is the closest you can get.

Opinions welcome.

Enough on that, now on with the archiving.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
One more test
Kumamoto first 200 or first 1hr 50 minutes with squares.
Its a shame Bing are limited to just 200 items.

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Hey muzzy,

Did you feel this one

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

M5.9 - 38km NW of Pulaupanggung, Indonesia

5.093°S 104.472°E depth=132.7 km (82.4 mi)

Time
2016-05-02 04:21:25 (UTC)
2016-05-01 23:21:25 (UTC-05:00) in your timezone
Times in other timezones

Nearby Places
38.0 km (23.6 mi) NW of Pulaupanggung, Indonesia
55.0 km (34.2 mi) WSW of Kotabumi, Indonesia
88.0 km (54.7 mi) WSW of Terbanggi-besar, Indonesia
92.0 km (57.2 mi) W of Metro, Indonesia
290.0 km (180.2 mi) WNW of Jakarta, Indonesia

USGS

Anyone else watching the shaking going on in Alaska ?
edit on 1-5-2016 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat
Na, too small, too far away (446km), and deep too (125-151km)
geonet called it at 4.5ML
64 people felt it.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I did a test of the oldnew (old, as in similar to the full opacity ones I used in 2007, eg here ) square icons on NZ earthquakes NZ Topo Map style on nzeq2016/05/01

It's not too bad, you can follow the smaller icons down to 2km scale OK, then at 2km they get a bit lost, OK again at 1km down to 200m, but then they get lost again. The answer, if you want to zoom right in to a quake, especially in a urban setting, is to click on the icon you are interested in at the higher scale first then use the + button to zoom in, that way you won't lose it.
Like Japans Bing Maps I have made a separate file for this test, the teardrops icons file is 4.85kb, whereas squares are 4.82kb, so there is a tiny saving there, which may become important when I retire and struggle to pay the Dropbox annual subscription (I'm already over the Free Dropbox limit now) on the Pension. At this stage I'm doubling up the work involved by making 2 files. I'll decide later today whether to change the entire system to squares.
edit on 0500000012212216 by muzzy because: stuffed up the links, fixed it

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I like the squares muzzy.

It makes me nostaligic for my first days in the QuakeWatch 2011 thread, following USGS.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Good, then its not only me that preferred the old usgs then. Sometimes "improved" means "less". I also miss their page with the monthly summary in text form.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yea. I like the squares too.

So how many years before your retirement?

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat
1,785,600 minutes

3 years, 4 months, 22 days
Right now I'm thinking "I can't wait", I'm sick of working
then I think "how am I going to pay for everything?"
In 1990 the NZ Govt upped the retirement age from 60-65

edit on 0500000012212216 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well I've gone and done it
changed the whole system over to squares.
Japan and New Zealand interacive maps based on NZ Topo Maps will show them now. You may have to clear your cookies to make it work.
The only ones that won't change are on the Significant EQ (over 6.5) Blog, the reason being the icon address is fixed in the KMZ files, I'm not going back to change the address on all 148 years of files, at this stage,
and Bing Maps won't show squares prior to today, same reason, I have to actually go back and redo every file I have done since the 1 Sep 2015 and swap the icon addresses to get the squares, so its the boring old Bing orange numbers in circles for those for now.
As usual its a compromise.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join