It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizzare Object /Creature frozen on Utah lake

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
If this is Great Salt Lake in Utah, has anyone suggested brine shrimp, or brine shrimp eggs, as the cause of this? A BBC article got me thinking about this, in particular the following quote:

"When conditions are favourable, female brine shrimp produce thin-shelled eggs that hatch immediately. But when food is scarce or salt levels are rising, they resort to plan B. They produce hard-shelled "cysts", each of which contains a near-fully-developed larva ...In the 1990s, oil exploration crews were drilling near the Great Salt Lake when they dredged up a mat of cysts between two layers of salt ... In the Great Salt Lake, brine shrimp number in the billions. Every summer when females lay their eggs, thick "slicks" marble the lake's surface ...".

A bit more digging on the Internet has revealed an article on the Mysteriousuniverse website that states the following:

"Adding to these mysteries is the bizarre story of a mysterious, noxious mass of floating decay that was 8 feet thick and first reported in 1966 in the south arm of the lake at a depth of 22 feet. The mysterious oozing slime was described as having a horrific smell reminiscent of rotten eggs. When the Utah Mineralogical and Geological Survey took a core sample of the perplexing mass in 1969 in an effort to find answers, it was found to be an odiferous material that had the consistency of “a roll of baker’s dough ready for the oven.” The sludgy, putrid layer suddenly and inexplicably vanished in 1991 and it is still not understood what it was. It is most often thought to have been either an unusual mass of brine fly larvae or a layer of pickled raw sewage from the era before the 1950s when dumping sewage into the lake was common practice. If it was brine fly larvae, this would not be the first case of such a phenomena as one of the great early explorers of the area, John C. Fremont, once reported coming across a vast mass of such larvae measuring 10 to 20 feet wide and 7 to 12 inches deep along the shore. "

I can't explain the circular shape, except to speculate that some natural eddy or vortex in the water could have formed it. Unfortunately a Google image search doesn't throw up anything particularly useful.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

Ever try freezing salt water?

The Great Salt Lake in Utah rarely freezes, and if it did most likely it's only just a thin less than an inch freeze.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
AAAAAAAND......here's the real answer as to what it is...

mysteriousuniverse.org...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove
AAAAAAAND......here's the real answer as to what it is...

mysteriousuniverse.org...

Great find

I said "Art Installation" when this first came up (page 2)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There is 1 freshwater species of jelly fish in North America that I know of. I should know, we had them wash up several times at a lake I grew up at. My grandparents swore up and down there were jellyfish in the lake but I didn't believe it until I saw one. Then when the internet came along I found out there IS a species of freshwater jellyfish, and right in my back yard!.

They only get to 1-1.5 inches in diameter.

Link
edit on 14-2-2016 by bulrush because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
the kid actually could have eaten it! who woulda thought?

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Unconvincing.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join