It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunter finds explosives in Mark Twain Forest in Missouri

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Everyone seems so scared of the big bad Daesh boogeyman. I guess we will have to wait until more info comes out regarding the cache (if ever). Here is an alternate theory:

There where thousands of caches buried by the Soviets during the cold war era and they are still being found all over Europe. While none have been found in the U.S. officially GRU defectors claim there are many caches hidden in America. Soviet spies dug the stores in woods, under trees and farmland near major cities, and filled them with small arms and communications devices in case undercover agents needed to defend themselves.

Notes in the archive describe extensive preparations for large-scale sabotage operations against the United States, Canada, and Europe in the event of war, although none was recorded as having been carried out, beyond creating weapons and explosives caches in assorted foreign countries.[64] This information has been corroborated in general by GRU defectors, Victor Suvorov[65] and Stanislav Lunev.[66] The operations included the following:

A plan for sabotage of Hungry Horse Dam in Montana.[67]
A detailed plan to destroy the port of New York (target GRANIT). The most vulnerable points of the port were determined and recorded on maps.[67]
Large arms caches were hidden in many countries to support such planned terrorism acts. Some were booby-trapped with "Lightning" explosive devices. One such cache, identified by Mitrokhin, was found by Swiss authorities in the woods near Fribourg. Several other caches in Europe were removed successfully.[68][where?]
Disruption of the power supply across New York State by KGB sabotage teams, which were to be based along the Delaware River in Big Spring Park.[67]
An "immensely detailed" plan to destroy "oil refineries and oil and gas pipelines across Canada from British Columbia to Montreal" (operation "Cedar") was prepared; the work took twelve years to complete.[69]

Mitrokin Archive

Russian Ex-Spy Says Nukes Hidden in California

Soviet weapons cache found in Britain

Secret Soviet Weapons Caches
edit on Wednesday0000002015-12-16T13:19:06-06:00America/Chicago1231America/Chicago12191 by lucentenigma because: (no reason given)

edit on Wednesday0000002015-12-16T13:21:04-06:00America/Chicago1231America/Chicago12211 by lucentenigma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: lucentenigma

Honestly, in a state known for this:

Homebrew explosives hidden by some good 'ole boys is far more likely than lost Soviet spy bombs.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe. All things being equal all theories are valid. Has anyone found any more news articles or reports on this? I've been searching the web but not finding anything.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: lucentenigma

As I pointed out in the OP, this was discovered mid-October which was before the suspicious cell phone purchases and propane thefts. So it may not be linked, but even if it was, it was before the other events and would not have set off any real alarm bells as anything more than a cache of homemade explosives.

As I said, folks in MO are well known for being fond of their extra-curricular overgrown fireworks. They really are.

Add in the cell phones and the propane tanks along with the known radical elements in the larger cities in this general region, and you think there might be more to it.

But it is, as you say, all speculation. Certainly it is odd to have all those things happening within a two month period here.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 321equinox

Megachurches. What better place to find mass amounts of Christians than the Megachurches on Christmas? One of the local churches in Southwest Missouri has a weekly attendance of almost 9000. And that's just an average week.

That thought occurred to me as well...and not necessarily with regard to specifically 'targeting' Christians...

...I mean, one of the goals of terrorism is to strike at the morale of the general public - it couldn't get much more demoralizing then to hit a Megachurch full of people during Christmas services...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Camden Co. authorities take report on "Middle Eastern" men asking about Bagnell Dam

www.abc17news.com...

edit on 17-12-2015 by Missus because: Add title of link

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
as to cell phones and propane tanks ... en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Dear Jihaddists:

I have this really sweet, very large, unbelievably detailed set of notes for most major dams, hydro plants and a few major bridges that I picked up years ago for some reason.

It's maybe 100 pounds of big fine print books, with lots of drawings. 20-30 volumes of this stuff. Gives you a lot of neat data, like the safety systems, the wiring, what cables run what motors and the like. It's a bit dated but you have to figure a lot of it is still valid.

It's going out with the spring clean. Make me an offer.

Tom

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Someone mentioned the Arch being a potential target. It occurred to me that now would be the ideal time for such a plot, since there has been ongoing construction in the Archgrounds for months now, and it's an utter mess.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
You really want to scare the crap out of people and make them live in fear? Hit a small town. There doesn't even have to be a high body count, just the idea that the "Heart Of America" has been attacked. I-70 from St Louis goes right by or through many, many small towns here in Illinois and since the town I live in has fast food places right off the interstate, we see everything from moving vans to semis in and out of town all day long. Just drive through town, get to the middle, maybe by the court house and ....Boom. It would show that no one is safe and they have the ability to hit where and when they want.
Damn. Just thinking how easy that would be makes me sick to my stomach. Taken separately, these incidents are suspicious. Connect the dots and it adds up to much more.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Not to mention that time it would take to get any appreciable emergency response to an area off the beaten path. That does make you queasy.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Interesting... How far is this from that dam we just got a story about? The one near the power plant...

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The idea that the explosives cache was from the Soviet era or good old boys launching anvils with black powder and tempting gravitational extinction has holes in it. The hunter that found the cache noted that the earth had been recently disturbed at his campsite, likely a clearing that would be easily found on a return trip. That rules out the cold war Soviets. Then the hint at what the explosives were from the story link -- "Officers found a huge cache of “extremely volatile” explosives, which police described to be of a style “that could not be purchased for recreational use.” The key words are "extremely volatile" hinting at TATP, sweating dynamite, or old nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin, when fresh, is water white and looks just like glycerin. As it gets old, it darkens, especially if it has not been properly washed during manufacture. It also becomes unstable and more sensitive. Sweating dynamite is old dynamite that is exuding nitroglycerine which is the unstable version. TATP is the explosive that the terrorists like because they can make it with readily available materials. It is also very touchy and is a favorite because it is not a nitrate and requires a different detection method. It cannot be purchased for any use because no company would make it. It isn't all that good an explosive and it is far too sensitive to use in anything but a suicide vest or a shoe bomb. Logically, using any of these for anvil launching is not a good plan as amounts would not be easily estimated and anvils could come apart into flying bits if one miscalculated and make holes in important things, such as body parts.
Hiding dynamite far from home is not likely. Dynamite is useful for blowing stumps and cracking boulders and, should the need arise, fishing with the famous DuPont lures. "Huge cache" says that it wasn't a few kids playing around. Too bad that they couldn't put a pressure switch on it for those who came to dig it up later.
Propane tanks may not be part of the equation. Propane/butane can be used to extract hash oil from marijuana which is all the latest dabbing craze.
As for attacking small town America, I think that that would be the most dangerous low payoff plan for the terrorists. First, there aren't enough people to terrorize. Small towns also tend to be better prepared. People on farms and in small towns have guns and know how to use them. Hunting rifles will shoot through body armor. Shotguns with slugs will push a long tube of vest Kevlar halfway through a human body. The terrorists are averse to getting themselves shot until they are ready to meet Allah. Farmers around here would help them meet Allah as soon as it could be arranged and maybe use what was left to feed the hogs and dogs, not wanting to waste anything. Because of this, I don't see a high risk low reward target like a small town being worth their efforts.
If this was a terrorist plan, I see an infrastructure attack with maximum casualties and symbolic significance. WTC was the symbol of US financial might. The Arch is a symbol of the Midwest. Bridges that would be blown as people try to leave in a panic or a second bomb timed to catch the gawkers and TV crews is also a possibility.
ISIS wants to precipitate a war and will do what they can to do so. I think that they will eventually succeed in having people rounded up and put in internment camps. There will likely be revocation of citizenship and deportations also at some point.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Not on my Mark Twain Weck (watch) Mebe?

<< 1  2   >>

join