It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT: Americans With Assault Rifles Should 'Give Them Up For The Good Of Their Fellow Citizens'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: russ2102
Ok so I hope I don't get much abuse, please don't I am only asking a NOOB question and not in anyway agreeing with the article, but can someone please tell me what exactly they need an assault gun for that a normal rifle or gun will not do?

Because the so-called "assault" gun is a semi-automatic rifle that is more or less simply dressed up to look scary and given a nasty name so people like yourself think it is a separate category of weapon when it really isn't. It is mostly just a .22 caliber rifle - one trigger pull, one shot.

If we banned semi-autos, we'd be banning just about every rifle and handgun out there.

And assault weapons are NOT fully automatic, those weapons exist under extremely restrictive laws already, even illegal in some states, and highly restricted in others.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

Well, first things first, only about a third of that total, or around 10,000, represents a homicide. The rest are suicides. And no, that's not downplaying the suicide issue, its just a statement of fact.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: russ2102
Ok so I hope I don't get much abuse, please don't I am only asking a NOOB question and not in anyway agreeing with the article, but can someone please tell me what exactly they need an assault gun for that a normal rifle or gun will not do?
that's kind of the point. a so called assault rifle is only cosmetically different from many hunting rifles. Ruger makes a hunting rifle that is identical in all operating particulars to an AR15. In some ways it is even superior. if the AR is dangerous then so too is the hunting rifle. even bolt action hunting rifles are more lethal than a so called assault rifle in terms of effective range and accuracy.

if you added the furniture of an Ar 15 to a ruger mini14. the mini 14 would be an assault rifle but the only changes would be cosmetic.

During the last "assault weapon" ban one of the banned features for weapons was a bayonet lug. bayonet lugs are bad they said. bayonet lugs make a rifle extra crispy evil. so when was the last time a bad guy fixed bayonets and poked someone with it? ever hear of any incident where someone was bayonetted to death? of course you could still have bayonets. a bayonet is a knife or spike. people are knifed all the time but they don't get bayonetted.

So why did the legislators go after bayonet lugs? because they are scary looking. never mind that no one in thier right mind is going to put a bayonet on a perfectly good weapon. a spear is more effective for that task and they remain legal as far as i know. you can actually hunt feral hogs with them in some states.

another feature the gun grabbers are mad at are high cap magazines. on an AR there is a detent button you can depress and the magazine falls out of the bottom of your weapon. does not matter what the capacity of the magazine is push a button and it is gone. then with your other hand you slap another magazine in the empty hole. then you press the bolt release and the weapon is loaded and ready to fire. this takes about half a second. thus if your magazine is limited to ten rounds you just carry more magazines. i'd imagine the total weight of 8 ten round magazines is the same as 4 twenty round magazines and the space needed to carry them is the same because: Laws of physics. The point is that the magazine restriction (like the bayonette lug thing) is not based on factual science but visceral emotion. The other furniture restrictions are based on similar errors of knowledge and logic.

An AR is basically a hunting rifle with intimidating looks.

edit on 7-12-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildb
a reply to: DBCowboy

What's an assault gun?

It's a semi auto high capacity revolver ...

Oh. So a regular firearm.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
or what will happen if we dont give them up? were suddenly going to all be shot... how is this not fear mongering?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Hehe I was trying to make a joke..

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildb

Hehe I was trying to make a joke..

Fair enough! This whole thing is silly, imho.

The Constitution guarantees us all the right to own or not own firearms.

Nothing the president or anyone can say to change that, short of ratifying the Constitution.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Nothing the president or anyone can say to change that, short of ratifying the Constitution.

That won't happen, but beware of back door tactics..

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OhOkYeah

NOT thinking one doesn't protect the other is really short sighted.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
what would you want to poke some one with? -a bayonet on a perfectly functional loaded semiautomatic rifle or this thing:

www.realtree.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The problem is, that they think we're stupid American's, but just because they think it...doesn't make it so. American's will laugh it off and keep the weapon that protects their families. They forgot...family first!

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
How many of the US violent criminal gun deaths are caused by democrats each year?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tonycodes
How many of the US violent criminal gun deaths are caused by democrats each year?
well quite a majority of prisoners identify as democrat. does that help?

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: tonycodes
well quite a majority of prisoners identify as democrat. does that help?

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

Sounds like democratic politicians don't want to help the most in need in their voting block.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tonycodes

I can tell you how to come up with a decent rough estimate that's probably fairly accurate. Compare the voting trends of various demographic groups to the demographic statistics of those committing homicides. The numbers for both are readily available.

Just to add; if you do that, you'll come up with a number very similar to that found in the survey that stormbringer1701 linked.
edit on 7-12-2015 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
CA has the most restrictive Gun Control requirements in the country, the same crap they want all states to have.

It did not stop the shooting, with or without assault rifles.
Anyone that wants proof of how well Gun Control works was just made a total fool by the CA shooting.

Nothing will ever stop shootings. Any type of gun ban makes a criminal that much richer. Have we not learned anything from Prohibition?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

a so called assault rifle is only cosmetically different from many hunting rifles

Yeah right, lets see you shoot 30-50 rounds in a few seconds with a bolt action rifle.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

a so called assault rifle is only cosmetically different from many hunting rifles

Yeah right, lets see you shoot 30-50 rounds in a few seconds with a bolt action rifle.

There are plenty of 'hunting rifles' that are semi-automatic. Even your own Democrat Senator Feinstein specifically exempted many of them in her 2013 AWB proposal, most notable being certain variants of the Ruger Mini-14, all of which were capable of anything an AR-15 is in terms of rate of fire.
edit on 7-12-2015 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You said it so well there is not a lot left to say. There are many Americans, however, living in safe little burbclaves, that don't feel a need for any gun. They're safe and isolated from poverty and crime, close to friendly neighbors, close to many police patrols. Most of us are not so fortunate. They vote for restrictions for those dangerous tools they themselves do not want nor understand. They have never fired a weapon. They have never held one in their hands. I grew up in one of those places, so I get it. I lived in a nice place, then the nice place became dangerous over the years and I loaded the gun I had kept unloaded the night I needed it and kept it that way. Then I moved to the country, far from squad cars, close to wild animals, and I had to upgrade what I had.
a reply to: Domo1

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So your going to wait until the state has stripped you of all your rights, abused and exploited the crap out the American people. Than you'll take up arms? Dude let's be real here, the likely hood of the American people violently revolting against the government is almost unlikely, let alone successfully overthrowing the government with all their military grade hardware.

The U.S government has been treading on the American people for decades and nothing has been done. Did America revolt when they found out the NSA was spying on U.S citizens? Nope. Did America revolt when they found out the branches of the government were funding the very terrorist their now fighting over seas and threatening the homeland? Nope. Did America revolt when knowing full well that many of their politicians should be imprisoned? Nope.

Seriously how long are you guys planning on waiting? Are you waiting for them to come for your firearms? You realize by that time that happens an armed revolt would be almost futile...If anything Firearm owner's have been helping the state out with catching the low scum criminals instead of the real sociopathic criminals in wall street and Washington.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join