It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd funded game Star Citizen close to $100,000,000, anyone else playing?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Just checked and the total is now at $99,612,963. That's INSANE.

The game is nowhere near finished, but over a million people have put up their money, one guy spending almost $30,000 buying ships.

Essentially, you buy a game package that includes a ship, and you can add more ships if you so desire. Last time I looked the cheapest package was $45 and the most expensive was $15,000. There are a whole lot of ships in between those price points, not all of them yet flyable. The game is gorgeous, and the open universe idea is incredibly intriguing to me. You don't have to be all that great at video games to enjoy it, if you don't want to dog fight in space ships, you set up a shipping business, or become an explorer. You can run a mining operation or become a pirate, or just get into racing.

From the mind of Chris Roberts, acclaimed creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer, comes STAR CITIZEN. 100% crowd funded, Star Citizen aims to create a living, breathing science fiction universe with unparalleled immersion… and you’re invited to follow every step of development!

More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay.

I bought a package way back in the day, and started flying a few days ago, and I've been having a blast! It's still far from finished, but it's incredibly fun learning to fly your ship and engaging in dog fights with other players or the AI. The flight mechanics are supposed to be based on real physics, which I know nothing about, but it certainly feels way different from any game I've ever played.

I picked up this little bugger (I actually got the 325a):

And this little guy:

It was a little pricey, but I don't mind dropping some coin on a game I know I'll enjoy for a LONG time. I think some people are going WAY overboard, and honestly I probably did too. It's not a pay to win game, all the ships can be earned in game.

The game is still very much in Alpha, but they're releasing it to more and more people (you get to do free flight and co-op dog fight etc already) based on when you first pledged, and it's been pretty awesome watching it evolve. When I bought my first ship there was no game. Then one day you could run around a hangar and get in you ship, now I get to fly it and shoot people, it's fun to be a part of something when it's first taking off.

So anyone else on ATS playing right now? Wanna team up?

Link to the site.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
i am a gold ticket holder and original subscriber from day one,he is pretty much the god of space sims and when it comes out all the doubters will be quieted promptly . you pledged domo? have not gone as nuts as other members im only 400 deep into the game if you dont count the super computer i built to attempt running it
edit on 3-12-2015 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

my ats user name is in refrence to a character from his earlier wingcommander series

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

my ats user name is in refrence to a character from his earlier wingcommander series

I didn't really get into any video games until I was in my late 20's. No wing commander for me.

you pledged domo? have not gone as nuts as other members im only 400 deep into the game if you dont count the super computer i built to attempt running it

I DID! Way later than you though. I didn't hear about it for a long time. I think I'm in the low 300k. I picked up the 325a, the Hornet Ghost, some variation of the Aurora and 2 Archimedes (whatever the thing was that you can melt and keep the LTI on, upgraded one to the Ghost and kept one because I'll probably want to throw LTI on something else even if it's not a big deal). So what's that, 70+110 (got on sale)+45+20+20= $265? Oh and a hanger upgrade, so I'm about $285. My PC laptop is a bit old, but seems to run it just fine for now (was kinda surprised it also suggested I run Fallout 4 on maximum). When we start getting closer to launch I'm planning on building a new rig. Haven't really gamed much for the last few years.

What ships did you pick up? I'm jealous that you're getting to have all the fun! I hope I get an invite soon, I'm really looking forward to it. It's good for me to wait though and practice. I'm having a terrible time getting my mouse and keyboard set up tuned. I can dance around asteroids and whatnot, but am having a terrible time aiming.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
I'm curious how much the most expensive ship is, and what it's like. I'm assuming the 15k is a group of ships, but which is the most expensive? I also wonder how much better it is than Space Engineers.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

i have a banu merchant man and a constelation and an avenger that was a gift from a friend. more invites to the PTU 2.0 are forthcoming i just wish the downloads were a bit smaller gets tedious downloading 30+gigs each time a new version comes out

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Idris corvette is 1200-1500 depending on version(with out vat tax of europe) the javilin detroyer if memory serves me is something like 2500 for a stripped out military destroyer (no major weapons)

robertsspaceindustries.com... list of all the packages

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

if christ(read criss roberts) delivers on all of his promises this will be the most advanced space sim ever, people can crew larger vessels or fly single seat fighters,they can be crew if they want or the captian and enlist a crew of players or npcs. you can be a pirate,miner,smuggler,cop,mercinary or even alegedly stay in the military after the single player campaign.

you can explore and find new star systems and jump points and unlike eve you will be in direct control of a fully newtonian flight model space ship. think battle star galictica or Babylon 5 where you can flip around still heading in your original direction but fire behind you

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
commerical for the freelancer a midlevel transport

www.youtube.com... comerical of the civlian hornet light fighter

www.youtube.com... M-50 the premier racer
in the theme of top gear

www.youtube.com... original pitch video from 2012

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Ive been following this since the anouncement...
It has some SERIOUS potential yes... BUT

Its WAAAYY to small...
The travel physics is to simple...
And the "griefing"potential is way to obvious...

As such.... Just another EVE Online

Oh yea, with a game like this, with the economy
i mean... The ships being this expensive, there
should be a way to GAIN money as well.. But no..

So to all you interested, read ALOT more about it
before jumping in...

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I've never heard of space engineers. I'm not sure if that was a joke. I googled it and it looks like a joke.

I think the most expensive single ship sold was the javelin at $2,500. I had to Google that.

The ships aren't always available, that one was sold in limited quantities. I think you can still get one if you drop $15,000.

So right now it looks like $275 is the most expensive ship. I saw a few that were in the $350+ range over the weekend sale though.

I don't really know how to explain the ships, go to the website and there is a SHOP button. Click it and sort by price. Some are now redacted because they are no longer for sale.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Miccey

way to small? in its current 2.0 ptu build its 4 times the size of the entity of the elder scrolls universe...... and that is just the play test area we have now..... you sound like a heretic against lamp

www.polygon.com...

"Just to give you an idea," Roberts said, fumbling for a way to communicate the sheer massive size of the upcoming release, "the playable area on the large world map that we're currently using is one million kilometers by one million kilometers by 200 kilometers high." We reached out to the Star Citizen team for clarification and it seems that Roberts actually understated the size of that space. The goal for the release stands at a space that is actually 400 kilometers high, a volume of 400 quadrillion cubic kilometers.
that would be quadrillion with a Q small you say.......

"To give you an idea, we were trying to figure out other games, and the biggest game that we could find online was The Elder Scrolls 2, which was meant to have a 161,000 square kilometer map. And then there was Lord of the Rings Online, and I think that was a 71,000 square kilometer map." The demonstration, played live from a pit filled with high-end PCs just off stage, began with players spawning into a spaceport and calling up from storage a Constellation class ship outfitted for a combat role. (Polygon readers may remember that ship from a tongue-in-cheek tour we did of a secret asteroid base earlier this year.) Three players stepped aboard and used their quantum drive to move towards a communications outpost that was in need of repairs.
EDIT to clarify this is ONE map in the ALPHA testing process not the entire universe if you would like to play around in the star map here is a link to the wider universe robertsspaceindustries.com...

www.twitch.tv... watch the last two live streams this came out after a lot of that bs hate from derek smart and his jelousy over cig success and his recent failures not to mention the battle cruiser 3000ad fiasco.
edit on 4-12-2015 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

way more then that especially if you take variants or modules into the equation, constelation phoenix is damn near 500 with the add ons and banu is 250,orion was close to 500? hulls c and d close to 400 range i THINK

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
forums.robertsspaceindustries.com... and a link to the thread on the lamp comment i made mostly as a joke it has a bit of a cult following on the RSI forums from the first live stream

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Not sure if this is blatant advertisement or legit topic...
i'm all for kickstarters, but Star Citizen screams ponzi to me.

Has the stuff that's been produced impressive.. Yes.
It is anywhere near what has been promised? Not even close.

The whole financial expect of the game is what upsets me. Referral program to a game that doesn't even exist... The insane prices of ships... Concept sales..

No financial insight for a purely backed game...
And the nepotisme that's running wild in a 100 million dollar company.

But hey, if you guys are having fun, all the better!

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
i am a gold ticket holder and original subscriber from day one,he is pretty much the god of space sims and when it comes out all the doubters will be quieted promptly . you pledged domo? have not gone as nuts as other members im only 400 deep into the game if you dont count the super computer i built to attempt running it

I go back somewhat earlier than that . (try the ORIGINAL Zork , the one Sheldon played in the Big Bang episode)
Back on topic. In all the years I have played many MMOs from DAOC ,Everquest, you name it. The only redeeming characteristic I have found with them is the social aspect. But I be danged if I want to spend my money for that .And I am sorry OP , if I had the money of a Bill Gates I would never even consider paying 15,000 for a package for a MMO just to have the latest greatest ship.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Domo,

I sent you a PM..
If you could reply when you get the time..

Thanks!!

The game looks very cool and I want a spaceship!

Oh, and I want to team up!!
If you don't mind an obvious noob...

Referral Code? Could you provide me one?

Oh yea, S&F...
edit on 4-12-2015 by defuntion because: S & F

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: defuntion

Give me a few minutes, I didn't know anything about a referral code. That makes the ponzi scheme comment make a lot more sense.

Check your messages in a few.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Belgianbloke

dont think gillian anderson,andy serkis and gary oldman or mark hamil throw their names into "ponzi schemes" but a few people tend to go around trying to spread negative press about the project and pretty much every time the complaints get to loud chris gives another presentation that tends to quiet things down again and even tends to respond to some on the instigators . they are on four continents now and i think if it were a "ponzi scheme" it would have been shut down long before Hollywood a lister' s showing up (luke frigging sky-walker is involved in this via mark hamil)

robertsspaceindustries.com... his repose to citizens can be found at above link

www.forbes.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

the referral system is some what new and did ruffle feathers on the forums more then usual but its an optional thing i think if you refer ppl using your code they give you UEC(the currency in the game) but i am not wasting time on such things but a few people are zealously trying to share their referral codes and whatnot but that tends to go on on redit more then the forums

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Ahh. I'm not worried about referrals. Thinking I want to help someone out though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join